Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I was hoping someone may have tips on how to search for a parastic battery drain on a 2003 cayenne turbo. I know that it can be difficult with vehicles that have CANBUS systems. I have had our battery go dead after just after a few days of not driving the car multiple times and the current battery (duralast platinum) is only a year and a half old. I am going to test the battery to make sure that it is not bad already but I wanted to also see if I could search for some electrical system draining the battery. My wife frequently does not lock the car when parked in the garage. Could electrical systems be running if the you do not lock the doors after parking the car. I also have an aftermaket alpine headunit and replaced all the interior lights with LED's.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, mbagge01 said:

I was hoping someone may have tips on how to search for a parastic battery drain on a 2003 cayenne turbo. I know that it can be difficult with vehicles that have CANBUS systems. I have had our battery go dead after just after a few days of not driving the car multiple times and the current battery (duralast platinum) is only a year and a half old. I am going to test the battery to make sure that it is not bad already but I wanted to also see if I could search for some electrical system draining the battery. My wife frequently does not lock the car when parked in the garage. Could electrical systems be running if the you do not lock the doors after parking the car. I also have an aftermaket alpine headunit and replaced all the interior lights with LED's.

Parasitic drain testing is a common problem on many late model cars, and Porsche is no exception.  The process is relatively simple: You attach a multi meter between the positive cable and the positive terminal of the battery, with the meter set om mA.  With everything turned off, close the doors and remove the key from the ignition.  Your initial reading may be fairly high and it may take the vehicle as much as an hour to settle to its minimum drain level, which should be 40-60 mA.  If yours is higher than that, start pulling the fuses one at a time until the drain drops into that range,  The last fuse pulled is the circuit with the problem drain.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

As you yourself notice, the car must be locked, only in this condition most can bus connections are interrupted after a few minutes, only alarm remains active.