Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Horn Issue - Airbag Screws

Hello Forum,

Trying to fix the horn-keeps-going-off issue by replacing the bushings on the airbag bracket,

but I've been spending countless hours trying to get the airbag off. I know I've reached the screws

with the proper torx size, but I keep trying to turn it [clockwise] but they won't budge!

Anyone have the same issue, and is there some way to remedy, fix, trick it into moving?

I used the O-ring approach a few years ago and had no problem that you describe on my 1997.  IIRC, there is a very good youtube how-to.  Have you seen that?  How does it compare to what you are encountering?

ummmm after re-read.....CLOCKWISE!?!?!?  that tightens them!  Try COUNTERCLOCKWISE and see how that works... 😉

J

Thanks.

Seen all the you-tube scenarios, they make it look easy [and me stupid!].

Yeah some have replied clockwise others counter, either way, still doesn't move.

Makes me think, I'm trying to turn the wrong thing.

The hole does go directly to the screw, yes?

Not directly into the screw.  It takes a bit (a lot?) of patience to hunt around with the tip of the driver to find the screw head and home the screw driver.  IIRC, a couple of the hole shafts on the back of the steering wheel were positioned in such a way that they overlapped the screw and it took some sideways forcing (quite a bit actually) to eventually find and home the  screw driver into the screw.

It is a little frustrating but keep forcing pad material out of the way with the tip of the screw driver and eventually you will find the screw.

This is the video I used and yes, he makes it look waaaaay to easy, which it is not!

Keep at it, you will eventually get it.
J

I have done both, the full bracket replacement and the o-ring method. I recall the first time it was difficult to get the screws from behind the steering wheel. Partially due to the thread locker used, but also due to the rubber around the holes which was hindering the driver from turning. The screws are not left hand threads, they are standard right hand, but some will say that you turn clockwise because the screws are pointed toward you as you sit in the drivers seat. The screws themselves should still be turned counterclockwise to loosen them like a normal screw.