Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission removal & special tools?

I recently picked up another 05 CTT as a (project) you could say, beautiful exterior and interior but it appears to have some neglected maintenance so I'm going through everything to get it back to perfect working order.

Of course as luck would have it, it's puking fluid from what I can only guess is the torque converter seal so the transmission needs to come out. I've got it over at a friends shop who has a lift and a large transmission jack which is the only way I'd even consider doing this job. However...

I was looking through the factory service manual and it lists a few special tools. For those of you who've pulled the trans how many of those (special tools) are really necessary? A few of them made sense and aren't TOO expensive.

My main concern is the extremely overpriced ratchet that attaches to the triple square for removing the torque converter bolts. Is that tool really necessary or will a ratchet with an extended 12mm triple square do the trick?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

5 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

Any suitable rachet will work, as will any brand triple square.

Thank you! I searched all over the place but could't find a direct answer to that question and really didn't want to have to buy a $350 ratchet that I'd more than likely never use again!

27 minutes ago, Loren said:

I buy all my single use or very low use tools from Harbor Freight.

Harbor Freight is great for cheap throw away tools, I also keep a full tool kit in my boat that gets replaced every two years or so since they eventually end up rusty from the moisture. Doesn't hurt tossing a $40 tool kit considering I've spent more on a single tool from Snap-On or Mac in my main box.

I got a little worried when I saw this wacky angled ratchet and thought that I might actually need it and the closest thing I could find was a $250 snap on adjustable ratchet.

Both of which I'm sure I'd never use again lol

486334_x800.jpg.9b44a97fdd7595b1b16ca2625b44bdce.jpgDSC06522.jpg.21145e1fa1c8c6718303a7923978ce1a.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DGeee said:

Harbor Freight is great for cheap throw away tools, I also keep a full tool kit in my boat that gets replaced every two years or so since they eventually end up rusty from the moisture. Doesn't hurt tossing a $40 tool kit considering I've spent more on a single tool from Snap-On or Mac in my main box.

I got a little worried when I saw this wacky angled ratchet and thought that I might actually need it and the closest thing I could find was a $250 snap on adjustable ratchet.

Both of which I'm sure I'd never use again lol

486334_x800.jpg.9b44a97fdd7595b1b16ca2625b44bdce.jpgDSC06522.jpg.21145e1fa1c8c6718303a7923978ce1a.jpg

Both are for getting into restricted spaces, and can be great time and knuckle savers, but there are other ways to skin this cat....

• Like 1

If I was still turning wrenches all the time I'd probably pick up the Snap-on but to be honest I don't do much wrenching anymore.

Do you guys happen to know which if any of the special tools are actually necessary for doing the R&R on the transmission and torque converter?

• Moderators
5 hours ago, DGeee said:

If I was still turning wrenches all the time I'd probably pick up the Snap-on but to be honest I don't do much wrenching anymore.

Do you guys happen to know which if any of the special tools are actually necessary for doing the R&R on the transmission and torque converter?

Which special tools are you referring to?

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, DGeee said:

Just going off of the factory service manual... obviously the block of wood being the most "special" lol

1280328815_ScreenShot2019-09-12at7_22_29AM.thumb.png.e312bc3a10709df73e70c40929827a93.png

Knowing Porsche, it is probably teak.

You need the fixing pins, but can make do with sections of 5/16 metal rod.  96870 and 96880 are triple square bits, but 96890 is a set of tools to replace the converter seal, and is difficult to replicate unless you have a machine shop:

cayenne_tools.png