Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Has anyone installed a K&N in a 1999 996?

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, BrianL996 said:

They never made one for this year. I purchased and installed it. Works fine and makes a nice sound. BUT my low fuel light now flashes.

I could use some help with this one.

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

I really don't think the two are related other than by coincidence.

1 hour ago, BrianL996 said:

They never made one for this year. I purchased and installed it. Works fine and makes a nice sound. BUT my low fuel light now flashes.

I could use some help with this one.

I'd reinstall the stock airbox to rule out the possible low fuel blinking light anomaly. 

I would clean your air controller and MAF sensor..  I had occasional dash lights on my Escalade and the mechanic said he would clean the controller and sure enough it cured the problem.  No more error lights and it also remedy the rear cargo door witch was non-op about half the time.

Can't hurt anything, I used brake, fast dry...

The issue from what I have learned by calling K&N is that they did not make an intake for a 1999 996!

No idea why but they did not.

As I said the car runs fine and sounds real nice with the fister exhaust.

I was hoping to find a guru who knew a way to make it work but if I cannot I will just remove it and as suggested put the original intake back and find one that will work with my car.

16 hours ago, BrianL996 said:

The issue from what I have learned by calling K&N is that they did not make an intake for a 1999 996!

No idea why but they did not.

As I said the car runs fine and sounds real nice with the fister exhaust.

I was hoping to find a guru who knew a way to make it work but if I cannot I will just remove it and as suggested put the original intake back and find one that will work with my car.

Brian, do us the courtesy by installing the original airbox and see if the blinking fuel light goes away. That would help a lot of people that are considering a cold air intake.

Edited by b3freak

New member here, first post/reply, I have a 1999 996 Cab that came with an uninstalled K&N cold air kit. So I install the kit and get an error code (don't recall the code number), delete the code, same code pops up a second time. Delete the code again and it never came back. Suspect the computer gradually adjusted to the increased air flow. I like the look/sound of the K&N kit, but its kind of hard to hear over the muffler bypass pipes! I am actually just now resurrecting the car after an intermix/cracked head episode attributable to a cracked coolant expansion tank. Bank one head cracked between #1 spark plug hole and # 1B exhaust valve stem. Sent the head to Len Hoffman in Georgia for repair, can't say enough about his services and the ease of the transaction, plus saved quite a bit of $ over a new or even used head. While I had the engine out/apart, I replaced the lifters, did a valve job on both heads, new valve stem seals, new head gaskets and bolts, new AOS, new fuel filter, new low temp t-stat, new exhaust hardware, new coolant expansion tank. Got an Air Lift tool to fill cooling system, currently running Shout through the system to get any residual oil out, although I flushed out all hoses and rads when I first took the car apart last summer. All in all, an interesting experience, total outlay of about $2300 including the head crack repair. I know a lot more about the car now than when I started, knowledge which is also directly applicable to my other car, a 1999 986 Boxster. So, anyone in a similar situation be advised, no need to part your car out or sell it as a roller, a cracked head is not a death sentence and can be remedied economically. Final word: stay on top of your cooling systems!