Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Litronic Upgrade

vza

Hi All, I upgraded my stock headlights to the litronic xenons 99 Boxster and was going to take it a step further. Picked up the control module on ebay to have the hi beams do their little dance. I'm just wondering if there are any resources to find a used wire harness for the upgrade. I mean they are available for 130 bucks but if I can find a used pigtail I can make my own harness. Tips on finding a used harness PN# 996.612.988.00 Thanks V

Edited by vza

• Moderators
3 hours ago, vza said:

Hi All, I upgraded my stock headlights to the litronic xenons 99 Boxster and was going to take it a step further. Picked up the control module on ebay to have the hi beams do their little dance. I'm just wondering if there are any resources to find a used wire harness for the upgrade. I mean they are available for 130 bucks but if I can find a used pigtail I can make my own harness. Tips on finding a used harness PN# 996.612.988.00 Thanks V

As with most things Porsche electrical, the connectors on the harness are the limiting factor.  The control module should have come with the harness if purchased new, but people never pull them out of cars when parting out.  Too much effort.

No, I picked up the control unit for 50 bucks on ebay. No harness or pigtail. What I really need are the plugs, I would be able to get the pins and duplicate the harness. V

Edited by vza

Anyone have the pinout to the litronic control module? I have the round female pins that fit the pins on the module and they fit nice and snug on their own. I'm just going to fashion my own harness. Thanks V

• 3 weeks later...

Well I upgraded my 99 Boxster w/ Litronics and its not working. This is the upgrade with Xenon lights and the control module which allows the low beams to rotate up a few degrees when turning on the high beams. I get the little dance when I have the light switch turned on before I start the car. The beams cycle up down then up again. This is the only time they move. Nothing happens when high beams are on. I checked the wiring pinouts, continuity, wiring (only 3 wires white,ground and power to wash nozzle. ) I also checked voltage. 13.7 V from wire tapped to washer nozzle when engine on, 13.7V from white wire when high beams are switched on. Everything seems to be wired correctly, the motors in the lights work and I have correct voltages. The only thing I can think of is a bad module(I actually tried 2 and got the same results) so they both would be bad or a bad light switch (but the high beams aren't activated from that switch) any thoughts on this? Thanks Vince

• Moderators
18 hours ago, vza said:

Well I upgraded my 99 Boxster w/ Litronics and its not working. This is the upgrade with Xenon lights and the control module which allows the low beams to rotate up a few degrees when turning on the high beams. I get the little dance when I have the light switch turned on before I start the car. The beams cycle up down then up again. This is the only time they move. Nothing happens when high beams are on. I checked the wiring pinouts, continuity, wiring (only 3 wires white,ground and power to wash nozzle. ) I also checked voltage. 13.7 V from wire tapped to washer nozzle when engine on, 13.7V from white wire when high beams are switched on. Everything seems to be wired correctly, the motors in the lights work and I have correct voltages. The only thing I can think of is a bad module(I actually tried 2 and got the same results) so they both would be bad or a bad light switch (but the high beams aren't activated from that switch) any thoughts on this? Thanks Vince

There are multiple different controllers, and a lot of chatter that they are not interchangeable:  

1.) Leuchtweitenregelung Steuergerät = Lamp level controler
000 044 900 38
996 618 151 15

2.) head lamps Litronics
European Version

factory installed

retrofit kit item (still available)

Wiring harness (retrofit kit part)

The retrofit controller and wiring harness work perfectly, have no idea what the other combinations do.

I have 2 of the very 1st you mentioned. Both don't work. So you're  saying I may have the wrong version? You forget 996.618.051.02 I guess ill try that next then can it.Thanks for getting back to me. V

Edited by vza

• 1 month later...

Tried two different known working modules with different PN #'s in my 99 Boxster, both did not work. Traced good continuity all the way to inside of the headlight assemblies to the motor that moves the low beams. Any ideas. Please?? V

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, vza said:

Tried two different known working modules with different PN #'s in my 99 Boxster, both did not work. Traced good continuity all the way to inside of the headlight assemblies to the motor that moves the low beams. Any ideas. Please?? V

Are you sure you have the Lits and the control module wired correctly?

Yes...there are only 3 wires....white tapped to white on headlight connector, ground ….and rd\brn  tapped to window washer. As per pelican instructions. It only works once if I turn the headlight switch to the on position then start the car.

JFP ...counting on you.

Edited by vza

OK .....so in the TSB it mentions a different set of instructions for 'MY 2002' and up which involves using the connector from the L side. I wonder if my Litronics(bought the assemblies used) are from a more recent year, essentially they're the same instructions except you're taping into the L High beam wire instead of the R. Worth a shot....see what happens. Thanks Vince

Edited by vza