Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Check engine light - looking for some thoughts. P0305 DTC code

So, low milage car.  Took it out aprox 2 weeks ago, have not driven it in awhile and had low battery - dash flashed something like emergency start on start up.  Ran ok.  Started again 2 hr later after apt., weak start, no error message on start up.  Went for a spirited drive for about an hour to run up the battery.  2 min from home, goosed it a little to run it up one last time and I got the check engine light...  Back from the shop.  They tested the battery as ok under load but got a P0305 on cylinder 5.  swapped the plug and coil and so far after a 10 minute ride, no more code.  So, trying to understand this and im not a big engine guy-----

could the code be anyway related to the poor start up those last 2 times before the CEL?  Just keep running it and see if I get a repeat on the error code?  

Looking for some insight from others more experienced.  Shop says if I get the code again and its just a plug or coil, they recommend changing them all out - estimate 1400.00 - dearer price.  if its a code again on the same 5 cylinder could be bigger issue.

Last time new plugs and updated coils was 2016, 40k miles.  Now have 44k miles....    Thoughts please.  Tks much

2 minutes ago, Loren said:

Could have been just a poor/dirty/loose connection by the coil pack.

I would not worry unless it comes back.

ok.  tks much.  No relation to the battery msg?

• Admin

I have said it before... all kinds of strange things happen now on cars with weak batteries.

The newer cars have a lot more electronics so I recommend that people replace a weak battery when it is 4-5 years old. Or, if it fails an (out of the car)  load test.

When you say "swapped" coil/plug - do you mean for another position? If so, it will be interesting to see if the code follows it. Then you'll know.

How old is the gasoline in it? Even couple-month-old gas can be "flat". And cause misfires. Generally though, not at a single position (unless of course it was on the "edge").

I think there's consensus to change the plugs around 40k miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. It's my understanding the 4 years is motivated by trying to avoid damage to the aluminum head because the plug threads adhere themselves to the head threads.

If you're a DIY-er, changing the plugs is probably about a 6 of 10 difficulty. Don't need a lot of fancy tools. I've done mine. Your hands will be sore the next day. Two or three of the positions are especially onerous. Maybe a 2-4 hour job. I didn't even remove the mufflers. My car was up on QuickJacks. You'll save a bunch of that $1400. Especially if you already have the new style coils.

thanks guys.  Yes, they took the 5 plug and moved the coil to another and the plug to a different cylinder.  4 and 6 maybe - don't have the paperwork here.  I just the other day watched a pca vid where the guy changed the plugs while changing out the exhaust.  looks much easier w/o that it the way.  id like to do it but ill need to find a lift.  ah, something to do....