Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche fault code 174 - camshaft adjustment bank 1

Hi Guys,

I have been getting a very intermittent Porsche fault code 174 - camshaft adjustment bank 1.  Reading the forums it looks like this is one of the more expensive issues could be lurking. Before I start down that road, I wanted some thoughts on what I have been seeing in my data logs. (Durametric)

Quick history: in 2014 @ 167K Km it developed a crack in the head on bank 1. Dealer checked head, mech could not find a crack and misdiagnosed it as a head gasket – which I argued was incorrect. Fix failed and long story short, there was an incredibly small crack, and they ended up covering a substantial portion of the labor / parts and discounted all of the “while you are in there” work I had done.

In the first round in addition to the head gaskets, I had a bunch of other items replaced including most of a few cooling hoses, the AOS, Oil Cooler, Chain Guides and “Camshaft Brake Set”, IMS Flange. (Bearing was not replaced)

On the second round the bank 1 head was replaced with a new OEM assembly with the complete gasket set, head gaskets again, all radiators, most of the remaining cooling hoses, oil pressure sender and a million other small gaskets, o-rings, etc.

Now I am not 100% certain what is included with the OEM head, but I would assume they swapped over the cams, variocam solenoid, and such from the existing head.

I am at just over 192K km and Bank 1 is now seeing this intermittent camshaft adjustment bank 1 code. On the first instance the car was running rough (lumpy idle). With the second two occurrences it has popped up with no noticeable indications aside from the CEL.  

After the second CEL, I dumped the oil and found some greenish grey rubber in the filter. New oil, new filter. Oil was less than 1000km old. Code has come back once.

I have started logging to see what is going on – both banks are being logged as I wanted something to compare. As you can see, bank 1 is very slow to respond. Bank 2 seems to trigger instantly. While this is just a snapshot, this is what happens every single time (so far). Thoughts?

cam-solenoid.jpg

• Moderators

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

You did not state the year and model, so I am going off what you entered in your account.

Porsche code 174 can be one of two DTC codes: P1530 or 1531, which are for different problems.  What is your Durametric seeing as the DTC code?

Hi,
maybe a loose chain adjuster?
Got that problem on my cayenne ( wich is of course a total different model and engine, but an engine is an engine is an engine...). Did change the whole chain system at 100k and it runs perfect for about 50k. Then the hydraulic valve lifter fails with the same problems: Bad start and rough idle. So maybe one of that two opportunities maybe the reason...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Bank 1 VarioCam acutator.  The greenish gray material is from an internal O-ring in the variocam actuator.  Would also explain the sluggish action on the Bank 1 cam.

Edited by DBJoe996
actuator not adjuster corrected

• Moderators
7 hours ago, mrccm456789 said:

thanks for the warm welcome - correct on the 2000 996. I am going to have to wait for it to pop back again to get the exact code as i neglected to copy it down - if i recall it was 1531.

P1531 is the DTC for the actuator triggering, but no active position.  Could be either a wiring issue (open circuit) or a bad actuator.  Diagnostics are to check the power supply (B+) and triggering wire for continuity; if both are OK, replace the actuator.  As noted above, it probably is the the actuator.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I will have a look at the electrical; however I tend to agree with a mech failure diagnosis due to the rubber showing up in the filter. 

a few follow up questions: 

Since this is very intermittent "fault" ( I daily drive the car and I might see the code once every few weeks) Is there a risk continuing to drive with this issue for the remainder of the season?

Next, is replacing the seal in the assembly an option, or is this a full replacement scenario only?

And last question, replacement part number? 

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, mrccm456789 said:

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I will have a look at the electrical; however I tend to agree with a mech failure diagnosis due to the rubber showing up in the filter. 

a few follow up questions: 

Since this is very intermittent "fault" ( I daily drive the car and I might see the code once every few weeks) Is there a risk continuing to drive with this issue for the remainder of the season?

Next, is replacing the seal in the assembly an option, or is this a full replacement scenario only?

And last question, replacement part number? 

Sooner or later it is going to fail completely, which will impact how the engine runs as well as throwing more codes.  As Porsche does not sell the seal separately, you only option is to replace the unit.  As for the part number, it would be best to have a dealer run your VIN number to make sure you get the correct number.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, mrccm456789 said:

Just to get in the right frame of mind - is this the whole ~$1200 USD actuator unit? 

Should be less than that, perhaps around $400 USD.  I have no idea what they sell for in Canada.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, mrccm456789 said:

Is there a diagram of how it all goes together - am i right in thinking the green o-ring is on the shaft of the solenoid? 

Not one that can be reproduced on this website, factory service data are the intellectual property of PCNA.

There is an o-ring on the solenoid, and another on a shaft inside the actuator. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 6:53 PM, JFP in PA said:

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

You did not state the year and model, so I am going off what you entered in your account.

Porsche code 174 can be one of two DTC codes: P1530 or 1531, which are for different problems.  What is your Durametric seeing as the DTC code?

Finally had the code come back - it is a P1341 - 

Porsche fault code 174 - Camshaft adjustment bank 1 below limit value

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mrccm456789 said:

Finally had the code come back - it is a P1341 - 

Porsche fault code 174 - Camshaft adjustment bank 1 below limit value

Something is wrong here, the 174 fault has two possible causes, DTC P1531 or P1530, and the OBD II manual for your car does.not list a P1341 code, meaning that the DME cannot throw that code.  Please reconfirm the DTC code.

Just had it pop back again today - definitely a P1341 (not sure if this could be a definition issue with Durametric?) 

I searched online and did find someone else having the same issue, (green rubber in the filter, same P1341 code in a 3.4 996). They pulled the cam cover, looked at the actuator and sure enough, it was the o-ring coming apart. 

RENNLIST.COM

996 Forum - "Lazy" VarioCam, P1341 - UPDATE: IF YOU ARE SEEING SMALL BITS OF GREEN O-RING-ISH RUBBER IN YOUR OIL FILTERS, OR GETTING CAMSHAFT ADJUSTMENT CELs, THIS COULD BE FOR YOU. The last few...

Edited by mrccm456789