Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Non-working power seat question

I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere on the internet, but I've tried and tried and haven't found it. So I apologize in advance if this is stupid or I've just been searching incorrectly.

Or maybe I just already know the answer and I'm trying to ignore it, hahahahaha.

The left power seat doesn't work, in any direction. The fuse is good. I took apart the switch assembly, nothing visibly remarkable there - no obvious oxidation or visible deterioration.

Is there any way to manually adjust the power seat, or is my option just to take it out, take it apart, diagnose what's wrong, and replace whatever has failed?

2001 996 cab, please and thank you.

Keith 

Yep, ignorance is bliss. 
my recollection is you cannot manually adjust the powered seats. 
I remember the procedure for lubing the forward/back screw-like drive, but don’t recall ever reading about any manual adjustment. 
good luck. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, judgejon said:

Yep, ignorance is bliss. 
my recollection is you cannot manually adjust the powered seats. 
I remember the procedure for lubing the forward/back screw-like drive, but don’t recall ever reading about any manual adjustment. 
good luck. 

Thanks, Jon, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well!

I have run into the same problem.  The drivers side seat refuses to move in any direction.  I pulled the switch and it appears to be okay.  I pulled the white tabs under the bottom of the seat to release it from the frame.  This allows access to the under seat wiring.  I checked everything.  I believe it comes down to the memory seat unit under the seat.  I have power to it, but nothing works.  I think it fried itself.  Fortunately, the seat is in the correct position for me, so I gave up on it. Hasn't worked in about 2 years.  It is just dead. And bonus, you need to be able to run the seat forwards and backwards to get to the seat bolts in order to lift up the seat and get to the memory module.  Not happening.

• Like 1

Just now, DBJoe996 said:

And bonus, you need to be able to run the seat forwards and backwards to get to the seat bolts in order to lift up the seat and get to the memory module.  Not happening.

See, these are the types of things that wake me up at 3am in a cold sweat 🤣

And I get your point, because the position my seat is in is SO AWFUL that if I can just get it somewhere closer to where I'd want it, I'll bump this project to the bottom of my list.

But it is SOOOO BAADD - the good news is that if I wanted to sleep in the car, I'm all set! 

I recall loosening the bolts to be able to lift the seat to get to that screw drive and lube it.  Then just crawled in from the rear floor to do as taking out the bolts was such a pita.  
But if the seat doesn’t go forward and back I think your done.

I recall the seat motors under there. But if the seat doesn’t move at all it’s likely a trip to the stealership.  Problem is how to drive the car. Could you possibly, just to drive to the shop, fasten a “booster” seat using the seatbelts.  Right, like a baby booster seat.  Temporary only of course. 

• Like 1

what I contemplated doing was lifting up the bottom seat to expose the motors, then by splicing in some 12V and ground to make the motors move.  But I never did it.  I would contemplate doing it if the seat was way out of position.  The seat control and memory module is #12.  For that price not about to go through the contortions of getting the whole seat out.

See diagram w/motors here 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Keith Upson said:

I'm driving it now (well, not right now), I just get "low rider" stuck in my head every time, because I have to lean forward to sit upright.

Never asked, is your car a 6-speed or automatic?  Might make a little diff re ability to drive.  I obsessed over under slightest noise from seat motors, fearing that if seat got stuck I might not be able to push on clutch.

I should have said, it's auto. Good point, if I was shifting (and I wish I was), it'd be flying all around the inside of the car, without a seat back on my back hahahahaha

There's probably a way I can put all that info in my signature, so it shows up in every post ...