Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello! Hope everyone is well :)

I have a 2004 Cayenne S non-turbo with around 168K miles. Has anyone seen a failing water pump leak onto the pulley like this? It was replaced, along with the thermostat and starter around the time of Texas Snowmageddon of 2021 as the pulley was making all kinds of noise, no leak though. I have seen pictures of failing water pumps with coolant seen under the pulley and around the seal (along with corrosion) and with a quick google search I wasn't able to find a water pump leaking onto the pulley like this. I haven't had one leak before that I can recall and don't have anything to compare. 

As the throttle body and intake tubing sits above the pulley, I don't think there is anything leaking onto the pulley, which leads me to think it is the water pump.

Additional symptoms compliment a failing water pump and include: engine temperature rising while the car is idle and the temperature decreases while moving.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you :)
screen_shot_2022_01_19_at_8_57_04_am_8bb53bda37761154259db291d3e8403ec4bef207.png

1 hour ago, JFP in PA said:

You have a leaking water pump.  The only suggestion I can offer is to make sure the next one is a factory unit; we have seen too many aftermarket units fail prematurely. 

Thank you JFP in PA -  I appreciate the feedback and will take that into account this time around! For clarification, you're suggesting buy it from the dealership? I believe the last one came from Amazon...would you happen to know if places like AutoHausAZ are of the same quality as the factory? 

Thank you again! 🙂

• Moderators

Unfortunately, people play "the terminology game" on these parts; one exceedingly popular online parts peddler regularly lists parts as "from an OEM supplier", which is technically correct, but factually wrong.  The supplier may supply Porsche parts for the taillights in one of their models, but in fact do not supply the cooling system part you are attempting to purchase, so while they are "an OEM supplier", saying that in relation to what you are trying to purchase is very misleading at a minimum.

I would suggest you contact RennTech sponsor Sunset Porsche; great pricing and service, and you know the part is the real thing.  😉

• Like 1

I would buy wiper blades from Amazon directly (not a 3rd party seller) but not a water pump.  Also avoid places like ECS, AutohausAZ, etc as Sunset is a real dealer and usually not much more expensive (sometimes cheaper) and the part quality is genuine/higher and from a vendor that controls their supply chain.  Even aside from the terminology games some play, I have seen several instances of people buying from these places based on model or something other than VIN and they ending up with a part that looks the same but isn't the correct one for their vehicle.  I have seen this on everything from alternators to PCV's with the wrong diaphragm vacuum spec.... and it lead them on a huge wild goose chase throwing parts at it.  Only to find they should have just been using authentic parts and saving the trouble in the first place for little extra cost.

Edited by Silver_TT
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...