Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PST 2 Software

I've been hearing that the PST 2 software used by Porsche technicians is simply sofware installed on a Windows-compatible laptop. True?

Anybody know who wrote the program? Is it Bosch?

Does it use the same OBDII data out that a code scanner uses?

Are independent garages able to purchase the software?

What does PST stand for?

Anyone know the current version of the software and how often it's updated???

Deke

• Admin

Here is my understanding...

The Porsche System Tester 2 (PST2) is made for Porsche by Bosch. Porsche has now changed over to a newer version called "PIWIS".

The original PST2 was derived from the Bosch KTS500 and the newer PIWIS is derived from the Bosch KTS 650.

post-2-1121140500.jpg post-2-1121140528_thumb.jpg

post-2-1121140734_thumb.jpg

It uses a specialized OS that's not quite Windows. You need to dedicate a laptop to the application. It also requires a hardware interface PCMCIA card.

Independent shops can purchase the testers and I have heard prices from $4000 - $8000 for the tester (with PCMCIA card and cables). The software updates come via CD subscription and run about $2500 per year.

Updated are as required by not more than one per month and usually much less.

I think Tool Pants has more pics of the PIWIS and the interface cards.

• 1 month later...

I saw a PST2 close up for the first time this weekend. It does indeed run a chopped version of Windows, what is odd though is it looks to be Windows 3.1 or 3.0, it is certainly a 16 bit system.

The actual software is a Bosch application, it is a simple EXE file that is loaded in place of the regular Windows shell. The interesting bit is the cable. This PST2 was a Toshiba laptop, not the (apparently) more common touch screen unit pictured above. The interface is a type 3 (double height) PCMCIA card that has had all identifying marks polished off it.

The cable is covered with a braided sleeve, the PC end has an apparently specialized 14 pin sort of mini-OBD connector that mates to the card. The other end is a standard OBD2 connector for the car.

The frustrating part was that it couldn't activate the OBC on my 03S. The menu structures do not precisely match what was listed on the various sites. Within the cluster section there was a similar option (Country?) but when we tried to open it the PST2 kept saying it could not do so until a scan had been completed, it wasn't clear what that scan was or how we would do it. Teh PST2 was connecting to my car ok though, I could view the mileage and other details and the CAN/MOST setup for the Bose.

So, I have OBC wires but still no OBC :( looks like I need to sweet talk a dealer but I'm loathe to pay an hours labor for a two minute task. There is an independent shop not far from here who also have a PST2, might give them a try. Very interesting seeing the PST2 in person though, the menus are a little funky to navigate and some of the menu options are kind of scary when you don't know what you're doing. I had sort of hoped it would have a simple serial OBD connector hanging off the back but no such luck!

• Admin

Yes, the PST2 is a custom version of Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups). I bought a used PST2 (Toshiba clone) from a shop that is converting to PIWIS (if I only had an extra $20,000 I would have a PIWIS too). The machine boots into the PST2 software and the only time you see a Windows 3.11 screen is during the printer setup. The OBD II cable connects to a Bosch custom (serialized) PCMCIA card in both the real PST2's and the clones. I guess they like the Toshiba laptops because there is a card lock that prevents the user from accidentally pulling out PCMCIA card out when the OBD II cable is pulled on.

post-2-1126104656.jpgpost-2-1126104663.jpg

post-2-1126104672.jpgpost-2-1126104680.jpg

post-2-1126104690.jpg

• Admin
Do you happen to know if you can enable OBC on an 03S with the laptop PST2? We got errors saying some search had to be completed first.

Chris.

Yeah, I seem to remember Tool Pants saying that Peter had done it and the setting was different than the older cars - or something like that. I'll PM him and see if he remembers...

• 1 year later...
Guest porsche_fans911

I have geniune PIWIS tester for sale,if you are interested in it, pls contact me via porsche_fans911@yahoo.com

• 3 years later...
  • Admin

How much for the hard drive image of a PST2 clone? Is it hard to get?

Drivers, drivers, drivers - a cloned image will not work on many laptops because Windows 3.11 use specific hardware drivers.

We also do not condone making copies of copyrighted materials.

Where can someone get the software to make a clone PST2 without copying copyrighted material? Does Porsche sells the PST2 software in order to make a clone PST2? If not, does anyone with a clone PST2 has copied copyrighted material?

Edited by hi8ha

• Admin

Where can someone get the software to make a clone PST2 without copying copyrighted material? Does Porsche sells the PST2 software in order to make a clone PST2? If not, does anyone with a clone PST2 has copied copyrighted material?

No PST2 is considered obsolete. There is no such thing as a legal "cloned" PST (at least in the US).

You can watch eBay for used "legal" PST2's or just buy the Durametric software as it can do most of what the average person wants.

• 3 weeks later...

You can get the knock off PIWIS software and cables off ebay now for about 2500. They are configured to use with a IBM t40 IIRC laptop, so if you don't have one, you will need to buy one and then install the harddrive. We had one at the shop and it worked great. I agree, the durametrics (which is what I use now) can do most of the stuff people need with the new beta 6.0 software. If you need to do indepth coding though, you will need a PST2 or PIWIS (and even then you will need some codes on occasion from the dealer, so you will need an "in" there as well). Lol, didn't realize that was my first post on renntech....long time lurker, lol.

Edited by PorscheDoc

• 3 years later...