Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Instruments off, wipers on

1000 miles from my home (and tools) my 2011 Cayenne turbo misbehaves. 

Headlights quit, instruments and all controls, including MFD and suspension controls go dark, while wipers start. I can't turn them off. 

Engine continues fine. 

Then, it all comes back. We repeat this several times as we drive through town. One time a check engine light came on, though it didn't repeat. Preset memory wasn't lost.

Research points to a ground problem. I did access the battery after an incident on the last trip traced to a bad connection on the right rear shock, which gave the the chassis system failure warning.

Anyway, no problems for 1000 miles until now. Research points to a ground problem. I have no tools to check battery connections, though I specifically recall tightening the connections.

So, any other ground points I should check, requiring no tools?

Made it home without further trouble. When we stopped overnight in downtown Lincoln, a check engine light popped up.

There were no indications of poor running, and it disappeared after one gas stop. 

I did notice every time the display died, the voltage was in the mid-thirteens. Most of the way back today, some 700 miles, it stayed around 14.7, and there were no problems.

The battery is one year old, and I just had it tested two weeks ago by Interstate for another issue.

Could this be an alternator or regulator issue?

I should add, the alternator was tested as well.

Edited by JE 17

• 3 weeks later...

Checked battery ground at the terminal, and just for good measure, gave it a Deoxit dose. I haven't driven it a lot since, so I don't know if that was helpful. The terminal was not loose, though.

I will try to find the other end when I am able to put it in the air on my hoist.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, JE 17 said:

Checked battery ground at the terminal, and just for good measure, gave it a Deoxit dose. I haven't driven it a lot since, so I don't know if that was helpful. The terminal was not loose, though.

I will try to find the other end when I am able to put it in the air on my hoist.

Try running voltage drop test across both primary battery cables, Porsche has had problems with these cables developing internal corrosion that cannot be seen but causes all sorts of issues.

That seems like a good suggestion. I got the warning signs again last night; "headlight control" and "stop/start disabled," yet it didn't lose the MFD or instruments.

Curiously, the voltage was reading in the mid-mid-thirteens, which is when the problem usually occurs. If it's up in the 14s, there is no dropout.

I'll try to do this, but it may be tough to accomplish as I'm about to move 1000 miles!

• 2 months later...

A small update.

I lifted the carpet and checked the wiring, finding no obvious breaks. When I have more time (replacing HVAC fan in this one, Boxster oil change due, and going over new purchase) I'll take the seat out to get better access. 

But interestingly, have had no further problems after poking around the wire tray. I wonder if further investigation will show something loose in there.

I will stay with it and keep you informed of any findings.

• 2 months later...

Additional update.

Several months have passed and no additional problems. I do get a "check left side marker" warning that is new, but it goes away. So I'll just wait until fall when the garage is under 90 and remove the seat to take a closer look---or why poke the bear?