Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone seen this local 996

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Guess it still runs.

Looks like Santana Row. I'll have to go over there one of these Saturdays. I grew up in the area and back then in the rear of the old Town and Country shopping center there was an empty field. I would ride my bicycle over there and shoot my BB gun. Still have my BB gun....

If you heard the car run does it still have straight pipes.

Loud pipes save lives. If Luis is there I will find him.

Guess it still runs.

Looks like Santana Row. I'll have to go over there one of these Saturdays. I grew up in the area and back then in the rear of the old Town and Country shopping center there was an empty field. I would ride my bicycle over there and shoot my BB gun. Still have my BB gun....

If you heard the car run does it still have straight pipes.

It still has straight pipes and is LOUD.

• Moderators

Went to Santana Row this morning. First time over there for this informal car show.

Left my BB gun at home.

Didn't take me long to find Luis. Got his email and emailed him a link to this thread.

Asked him to pose for a picture next to his sound machine, but he was a bit shy about all the attention his car has been getting....

Jeff

post-4-1174765562_thumb.jpg

Oh dear God.......is this the guy that died in the Canyon run in the bay area this past weekend??? What a tragic end to this saga. May he RIP. Breaks my heart to hear when somebody was unable to harness the power that some of the cars have especially on "back roads". This is the very reason I do my spirited driving on the track.

I heard that a F-car was also involved in the accident and might have died as well??? Anybody know for sure what the facts are???

Here is one thread I was directed to......

http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=...amp;topic=17366

Edited by LVDell

• Moderators

A drive to the coast via Pescaderdo Road is a standard drive in our area. I did not go on that drive that sad day.

I went to the Santana Row parking lot for the first time, on Saturady, to see if I could find Luis. Found him. Took pictures of him and his car. Talked about the changes that had been made over the past 3 years. First met him in January 2004 at Stevens Creek Porsche, before all the mods.

At Santana Row I told Luis that I had started this teasing thread back in 2005 about his car/conversion, on renntech. He asked me to email him a link to this thread since he was not on renntech.

There was talk of a local drive. Luis told Gail he needed gas for the drive and there is a gas station down the street. No passenger seat was in his car.

He started up the car to warm it up. Put the steering wheel on. Before Luis took off for gas I handed him a pad of post-its and a pen so he could write down his email, which he did.

I guess his pipes were famous because a non-Porsche guy came over with a video thing after Luis started it up. There have been so many messages on the car message boards that I do not remember where this one came from. I think a BMW guy. Watch the camera shake.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/djtk...uissPorsche.flv

The fat guy in blue with the hat, reaching into the car is me, as Luis handed me back the pen and post-its. Then in the video you can see that I moved away from the car and over to the left side to protect my hearing, as Luis took off for gas.

Before Luis came back from the gas station I left Santana Row and went down the street to Stevens Creek Porsche for a while. When I got home I emailed Luis this thread. I did not know at the time I sent him the email what had already happened on Pescadero Road a few minutes earlier.

I do not know what more to say that has not already been said on the various message boards..

• Moderators

Pescaderdo Road is too twisty to go fast.

Luis did not have a cage. He had the show roll bar that bolts to the seat belt mounting points.

We have Boxster owners that turtle their car and walk away. When I saw a picture of the wreck on the flatbed I could not figure it out. The roof was gone. I kept looking at the picture and something was wrong.

Today I called Peter who knew Luis and had worked on his car in the past. I told Peter something was wrong because there was no roof. Then I sent Peter a picture of the wreck. Peter told me Luis had a carbon fiber roof. I did not know this. I knew he had a carbon fiber trunk lid and doors. The driver's door is also gone in the wreck picture. I knew he did not have air bags.

When I first met Luis 3 plus years ago he had a standard C4 1999 996 with a steel roof, and with a sun roof.

The steel roof had been cut off and replaced with a carbon fiber roof last year. That is a reason why it was at the body shop when I took pictures of it last year.