Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mystery of the 987 Side Vent Removal

Yes, part # 12 is a drain at the bottom of the vent that takes water out of the intake area.

Kevin, Thanks and congratulations from me too :clapping: As soon as my S will arrive this Oct will do this mod :)

I have noticed that the snorkel tube can not be found on the explosed view from the service manual. Is it a later add-on? If so then what is the purpose behind?! (Noise? Intake airflow enhancement?) :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I wonder if the restrictor plate can be removed and then the entire assemblage put back without having to modify any parts? I'm concerned with doing something that I can't undo if I decide it isn't for me.

Ok, did it. Or at least I did a very light version. I left the snorkel in but took out the restrictor plate.

What would be really cool and amazing would be if someone made a restrictor plate replacement that was a cross hash mesh but in the same shape as the plate, perhaps even as durable/thick. Are you listening aftermarket tuners and retailers??

tmc

Ok, did it.  Or at least I did a very light version.  I left the snorkel in but took out the restrictor plate.

What would be really cool and amazing would be if someone made a restrictor plate replacement that was a cross hash mesh but in the same shape as the plate, perhaps even as durable/thick.  Are you listening aftermarket tuners and retailers??

tmc

And does it make much difference?...... how much louder is it and how does the character of the intake noise vary by revs?

:cheers:

And does it make much difference?...... how much louder is it and how does the character of the intake noise vary by revs?

It makes some difference. The engine noise sounds more throaty. My wife says she can hear it more than before (i.e., someone on the street can hear it more -- it's louder outside the car).

I appear to be getting slightly better gas mileage, approx 0.3-0.4 mpg. That's not scientific, though, but it makes sense. There have been reports (one really) that removing the snorkel will result in lower mpg, FYI.

All in all, I am going to leave off the restrictor plate. I can't imagine a reason to re-install it.

tmc

• 2 weeks later...

It makes some difference. The engine noise sounds more throaty. My wife says she can hear it more than before (i.e., someone on the street can hear it more -- it's louder outside the car).

I appear to be getting slightly better gas mileage, approx 0.3-0.4 mpg. That's not scientific, though, but it makes sense. There have been reports (one really) that removing the snorkel will result in lower mpg, FYI.

All in all, I am going to leave off the restrictor plate. I can't imagine a reason to re-install it.

tmc

You say you get better gas mileage but then say a report said to expect lower (worse) mpg????

Has anyone with a de-restricted 987 driven it in heavy rain yet? Being in the UK I'm still concerned that water will get sucked into the engine in bad weather as we tend to get a fair bit of rain! any word from somebody who has driven in rain a few times without problem would be very welcome as I'm looking for any excuse to mod mine :thumbup:

You say you get better gas mileage but then say a report said to expect lower (worse) mpg????

There are two things going on here: taking off the restrictor plate, and removing the snorkel as well. I only took off the restrictor plate but left the snorkel in. I get slightly higher mpg. The report of significantly lower mpg was from someone who also removed the snorkel.

tmc

I have removed the whole bunch (on day one) and got slightly better mpg than the "factory" value is. Maybe I should put back the snorkel to get even better mpg :-)

As for the rainy thing, leaving the snorkel doesn't change it for better or worse. The restrictor plate will act as a collision surface where the air stream and water droplets get separated (larger water drops - not mist - will impact onto the restrictor plate as their momentum prevents them to follow the sudden directional change around the edge of the plate - and simply drip down at the lower edge). However, _some_ water will still make it to the chamber and the air filter element. I guess it won't make any serious harm unless you flood the whole thing with a garden hose at WOT. The filter element may partially get soaked but it will dry quickly in the hot engine bay. The burning cigar(ette) getting sucked in is another matter, the gutter mesh may save the day here.

• 3 weeks later...

Just removed the side vent grille to see what's behind after 2 weeks daily running in _awful_ (rain, fog, mud, snow, whatever) weather. The result was surprising: although the side of the car (along with the plastic silver vent cover) was literally covered with dried mud, there was absolutely no trace of water or dirt inside. Maybe on the first quarter inch, but after that the intake was black and shiny like new. I would not be concerned too much about water (i.e. heavy rain or puddle splashes) getting in there...

While removing the vent cover I "managed" to break one of the tiny plastic pushpins (the legs broke off). I drilled it through, fixed it in place with a self-tapping screw and washer from behind and cut off the protruding nose of the screw on the surface. It will never break or pop out again :)

• 3 weeks later...

As previously requested in this forum, can someone please define the advantage of this de-snorking modification? OK- the sound is better, but what about performance/economy? I find it truly strange that this intake is effectively blocked, when it is right over the engine air intake. The engineers at Porsche surely know what they are doing and had their reasons for this design, but it is certainly hard to understand when the earlier models draw air in through this intake. Maybe the cooling fan in the rightside vent might not be so active or noisy if more ventilation came through from the other side? Lets please have some more comment from those who have this modification on their cars so that we can see if it is a worthwhile proposition. I have learned from long experience that 'stock is best', particularly when it comes to resale time, so do we know better than years of Porsche research and development, or will they introduce this mod in next years model?

As previously requested in this forum, can someone please define the advantage of this de-snorking modification? OK- the sound is better, but what about performance/economy? I find it truly strange that this intake is effectively blocked, when it is right over the engine air intake. The engineers at Porsche surely know what they are doing and had their reasons for this design, but it is certainly hard to understand when the earlier models draw air in through this intake. Maybe the cooling fan in the rightside vent might not be so active or noisy if more ventilation came through from the other side? Lets please have some more comment from those who have this modification on their cars so that we can see if it is a worthwhile proposition. I have learned from long experience that 'stock is best', particularly when it comes to resale time, so do we know better than years of Porsche research and development, or will they introduce this mod in next years model?

The way I understand it is that the restrictor plate is there ONLY to reduce noise and prevent large particles from enetring the intake (eg. cig butts). People that have done the mod generally report better fuel economy and slightly better low end pull. From a technical point of view I can't see any reason for the plate other than noise reduction....... if you want lots of air getting to the engine you generally wouldn't place a big disc in the way of the air flow.

Can't just pull them off but it is not hard to figure it out when the guy in the picture is a mechanic friend at my dealership who went to Boxster training school where they show the mechanics how to take the car apart. Once I saw how it came out I put it back in.

There is no reason for the large vents on 987 other than it has been said it was done this way to resemble a CGT. :rolleyes:

If I had a 987 I would take it to Dell and fix those vents.

TP, those shark gill vents you posted look interesting. Is this a body kit mod? Fiberglass and repaint?

• 4 weeks later...
Tools Required: A grinding tool, saw, flathead screwdriver, Interior trim removal tool, plastic screening or other mesh, and a glue gun.

Step One- Removal of the Titanium Vent-Frame:

The plastic frame has no screws or clips attaching it to the intake frame. It is held in place with two small tabs at the top, two on the 2nd slat from the top, and one just on the fourth slat, directly above the bottom false vent opening.

To remove the Titanium Vent-Frame, reach into the top opening and grab upper edge and pull down. The two tabs at the top are about 1/16 of an inch long and go into corresponding notches of the black inside frame. While doing this, grasp the outer edge of the frame at the rear of the top and pull it downward and out to you. The top of the Vent frame should pull away from the opening.

Then, reach under the underside of the 2nd slat and pull the vent-frame down while continuing to pull outward on the top of the vent-frame. When the vent pulls away from the 2nd slat, grab the underside of the last slat and pull downward while pulling out the top of the frame. The frame will come free. It is made of a plastic that is slightly flexible so it will bend a bit without breaking or causing a wrinkle in the finish.

.. ok, so call me slow but: "Reach under the underside of the 2nd slat....!?" I suppose if you've done this before, you might know what that translates to.

Following these directions, it feels as if I am about ready to remove the frame in more than one piece. Is it really stuck in there that good, or have I not reached under the underside properly..

• 2 months later...

OK, here are my "practical" notices:

1. To remove the silver vent frame (and not the black one it is fitted into) go ahead as you started. Make loose the top then the middle. The bottom is more tricky, I felt the same you did. Grab a flathead screwdriver that is wide enough to securely fit into the slot on the underside of the lowermost grille. Then carefully lift the handle, thus pulling the lower surface of the grille downward. Eventually it will pop free and yon can pull it out. See the pictures.

post-6826-1143110469_thumb.jpg

post-6826-1143110486_thumb.jpg

2. Once removed the silver frame remove the black one. Don't pull out the round plastic anchor buttons just lift the rectangular tabs on them a little bit with the screwdriver and the black frame pops free and slides out - after the first one you'll see what I mean.

3. When removing the restrictor plate do not try to bend the protruding plack plastic parts of the frame behind, they will break (rigid polypropilene). Instead you will find small notches on the restrictor plate's anchor tabs, slightly bend them out with a screwdriver to pop them free. They are more flexible.

4. The snorkel tube has two small bumps on the right-top and left-bottom side on the back that holds it in place. (These bumps pop into two small holes in the air intake frame). If you try to pull it free it may (mine did) break the plastic of the frame around the holes. Instead grab a long and wide flathead screwdriver and put it to the top of the snorkel tube's base. Then push it carefully down while pulling slightly the tube, so helping it to pop free. Repeat at the bottom once the top is free.

Hope this helped...

Removed the restrictor/splash plate, 1 year ago, left snork. Better sound? probably no difference in performance. But have never been able to get the outer grill as well seated and wiggle free as it was before removing the first time.

Thanks Tool Pants! With these photos, last evening I De-Snorked my 987S. The sound is amazing! I have photos and I'll put together instructions if anyone is interested.

These photos helped a great deal. i couldn't figure out how to take the titanium vent frame off. When you pull at it, it feels like it is clipped or screwed in. As your photos show, it is not. Very easy after the vent frame is removed.

Now, do I sent the frames to Eric to be painted or not?? :)

Thanks Tool Pants! With these photos, last evening I De-Snorked my 987S. The sound is amazing! I have photos and I'll put together instructions if anyone is interested.

These photos helped a great deal. i couldn't figure out how to take the titanium vent frame off. When you pull at it, it feels like it is clipped or screwed in. As your photos show, it is not. Very easy after the vent frame is removed.

Now, do I sent the frames to Eric to be painted or not?? :)

You bet! I had Eric paint a new set for me and I did a 2-min exchange. They look great on my SY 06S!

Removed the restrictor/splash plate, 1 year ago, left snork. Better sound? probably no difference in performance. But have never been able to get the outer grill as well seated and wiggle free as it was before removing the first time.

Are you saying that it doesn't make a better/louder sound? :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another variation on the subject of the 987 side vent removal/replacement. I "de-snorkeled" my '05 Boxster and at the sametime swapped out the 987 vents for the new Cayman style.

To install the Cayman vents on the 987, you must also replace the vent frames with the Cayman's parts on both sides. The Cayman vents are ~ $48 each and the frames are also ~ $48 each. I paid another $150 to have them painted body color.

Here's a side-by-side of the 987 vs the Cayman vent frames. Note the slightly different design and mounting tabs for the Cayman vents.

post-10249-1145331646.jpg

Cayman vent painted body color.

post-10249-1145331701.jpg

To prevent debris from entering the intake I covered the end of the snorkel tube with black plastic gutter guard from Home Depot and a couple of black tie-wraps. Simple and effective. No cutting and gluing necessary. In addition all of the original parts are still intact to swap it back to stock if desired.

post-10249-1145331721.jpg

post-10249-1145331736.jpg

Here's the finished product. I really like the look of these vents better than the originals. It looks more integrated and follows the cut line of the doors better.

post-10249-1145331762.jpg

post-10249-1145331778.jpg

hmm, short of the wheels, thats just like my car.

Personally I like the opposing color of the faux-silvery plastic parts on the car, but I like the vertical vents of the cayman.

All in all I think you've done a very nice job.

Thanks mbodo.

I'm sure that the faux aluminum look can be duplicated by a good painter for those of you who prefer. For those looking for the chrome look, I saw an interesting paint technic applied a couple of weeks ago on an episode of the TLC program 'Rides'. They were building another hot rod for ZZ Top's lead guitarist, Billy Gibbons, and painted the roof of the car to look like chrome. Its a process where they lay down a black gloss base coat and then overlay it with some sort of reflective coat which makes it look just like chrome. For those who like that look, its another option.

• 5 months later...

Ok, after spending 2 f****** hours trying to remove my vent I’m convinced this entire link is a cruel conspiracy to make me feel like a complete IDIOT. It worked. I thought you guys were my friends 

But seriously, I can’t get this thing out 

It is a possessed demon vent!

Hopefully someone at the dealership will show me how.

:censored: