Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Boxster rattling noise w/out serpentine belt

My 2000 Boxster S has developed a rattling/clanking noise that I cannot seem to figure out. It is coming from the front of the engine area, but I have checked all the pulleys, compressor, pump, and alternator and all seem fine! When you run the engine with out the drive belt, the noise still persists as usual. Is the thermostat going bad?

Link to the youtube short of the noise.

Any input would be appreciated!

18 minutes ago, Loren said:

The pulleys go bad  - especially on a 24 year old car. Check them for trueness and runout.

I don't have the serpentine belt on in the video. Would the pulleys still rattle like that without the belt?

I can take them off tomorrow, they all feel fine but I can have them checked.

• Moderators

It is exceedingly hard to nearly impossible to diagnose anything from video soundtracks.  And no, the pulleys should remain silent when the belt is removed.

The sound could be related to the timing chains, but the car needs to be evaluated by a competent Porsche tech or independent before you move forward.

• 3 weeks later...