Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just got my litronics. Help....

OK, the litronics showed up today, but I don't have the tool pouch, just a jack, spare, and jack handle, tow hook. After looking at the place where I am supposed to give it a 180 turn, it looks like a 6mm socket fits right on there. I've turned it 180, then back and forth about 90 or so each way, then completely 360 and more. It doesn't seem loose at all. I'm so confused. :help:

• Admin

The Porsche tool is a a T-handle so it will take some force to unlock it. It will snap to unlock and snap to lock. As I recall turn it towards the front of the car to unlock.

When you put the Litronics in make sure it snaps locked. You should not be able to move it when pulled on - if not they will come flying out the first time you hit the brakes hard. :eek:

OK, the litronics showed up today, but I don't have the tool pouch, just a jack, spare, and jack handle, tow hook.  After looking at the place where I am supposed to give it a 180 turn, it looks like a 6mm socket fits right on there.  I've turned it 180, then back and forth about 90 or so each way, then completely 360 and more.  It doesn't seem loose at all.  I'm so confused. :help:

I really can't beleive this. I never thought anybody would need a how-to article on a headlight when I did it.

HAHAHAHA

Check it out ---> http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/996head...96headlight.php

Good Luck.

I contacted the local dealer here and they said 5mm and it has to be a DEEP socket also, which may be my problem getting the light out. Then they told me I can't just plug in these new lights, but that I need an install kit with a new wiring harness and control box, and other things. I was under the impression that I could just plug them in and the only thing I wouldn't have is the automatic leveling. Is this correct?

• Admin
I contacted the local dealer here and they said 5mm and it has to be a DEEP socket also, which may be my problem getting the light out.  Then they told me I can't just plug in these new lights, but that I need an install kit with a new wiring harness and control box, and other things.  I was under the impression that I could just plug them in and the only thing I wouldn't have is the automatic leveling.  Is this correct?

The control box is used for adding in the Xenon (low beam) and Halogen (high beam) on Litronics when the hign beams are selected. If you just plug the lights in they will work as Xenon low beams and Halogen high beams - period.

Automatic leveling is not possible on an after-production Litronics car as the sensors and wiring are not on the car.

The control box adds a feature that moves the low beams up to fill in the high beans. It is a really nice feature and I recommend it.

I'm think that you have to have the wiring (but not the control unit). The wiring comes with all kits unless they are stolen.

Auto-levelling keeps the headlights on the road even when you go over a bump. It is only available for factory-installed litronics.

TThe wiring comes with all kits unless they are stolen.

Not true. Try not to be so judgemental. If you get them used then they may not have the wiring included. Not everybody buys new here.

Yes there are a lot of stolen litronics on eBay but that is just a fact of life.

The control box adds a feature that moves the low beams up to fill in the high beans.  It is a really nice feature and I recommend it.

I agree. Having the litronic come up to join the dedicated high beam makes a very nice difference in the high beam's effectiveness. I tried it both ways. Its worth the cost of the harness and the small amount of time necessary to install it.

Kim

Well I used a 5mm socket instead of 6mm and it was less than a 5 min job. :clapping:

Thanks TP for the advice!

Also, Dell I appreciate your offer to help since we're both in Vegas, but there was nothing to it once I got the right size socket... :thumbup:

You guys are awesome!