Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

strange sound from the engine!

When my engine gets warm and I have it on around 1k RPM and just touch the gas so it goes toward 4k RPM without any gear in it start to make this screaming sound sometimes and sometimes it stops after I do the samt thing again.

It sounds like the real high pitch noice come from the hydralic for steering/Clutch box but Im not 100% sure, I have checked the fluids and it looks ok.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

I have checked so it isnt from the AC

Best regards

Jonas

Hello again!

I took it to a Service facility and it is something that preassure in extra air (to the turbos?) once in a while, and this little fan can make the most horrible noice, just so you know what too look for if you get an metalscream sometime.

Loren, maybe you know what I mean and can give me the number/price on it?

Best regards

Jonas

Hello Loren!

Ive been quite hard against the guy that I bought my car from about the ignition coils so he will buy 6 of them for me so I just need to pay the replacement, maybe I can get him to help me pay this item also.

cause it is some other error with the car that he must have known about but didnt tell me.

Thanks alot for the help.

Jonas

• Admin
What's the function of this secondary air pump ?

Is it easy to check if it's working ?

It is used for meeting emissions regulations at start-up/warmup.

It usually sounds like an electric vacuum cleaner (to me) and can be heard immediately at startup until the engine has warmed to a level that it can control emissions.

• 2 weeks later...
When my engine gets warm and I have it on around 1k RPM and just touch the gas so it goes toward 4k RPM without any gear in it start to make this screaming sound sometimes and sometimes it stops after I do the samt thing again.

It sounds like the real high pitch noice come from the hydralic for steering/Clutch box but Im not 100% sure, I have checked the fluids and it looks ok.

Best regards

Jonas

I have had this problem on a few 996tt, the noise sounds like a bad power steering pump. Sometimes the noise is so bad you are afraid to drive the car. The problem is the serpentine belt roller. If you remove the belt, start the engine, and the noise goes away, then turn or spin each item, you should be able to feel the bad one. Tell us what you find. Thanks-Gary

Best regards

Jonas

I am assuming your car is a 996tt? The air pump is electrically operated and will only operate on cold starts, and will only operate for approximately one minute. If the noise goes away completely, after one minute, it could be the electric air pump. If the noise verys with rpm , and does not go away, I would suspect the serpentine belt rollers. Lets us know what you find. Thanks-Gary

Hello Gary!

The car is a 996TT and the noice does not verys with RPM and does not go away after one minute. It was the service technichan at Porsche that told me it was the secondary airpump that screamed. I have it on a big service now and will get the car back on monday so hopefully I will know a little more then.