Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New RMS Seal And Test Tool

my 02 996C2 've the newer 997 RMS replaced in May with 16K miles. 4 months 3k miles later it leak again. My dealer said the crankshaft run out and the bore are within spec and they are going to try again with another seal replacement. What does it take to get a new engine? FYI this is the third seal replacement and each last around 3K miles.

• Moderators

Almost a year since the 997/Cayenne style seal has been out.

I asked one of the service guys how it was holding up and he made it sound good. But I would rather ask the mechanics.

I have only mentioned this seal once to Peter over the past few months. And he told me about a mechanic who put the seal in backwards. And someone told me about another mechanic did not use the green installation ring.

As for getting another engine, this is up to Atlanta.

We have a local Boxster owner who had 5 replacement seals, the last 2 after the warranty expired. This was before the Cayenne style seal came out. His crank was within specs each time.

Porsche finally gave up and put in another engine. Then another and another, but that is another story.

The Holy Grail.... :rolleyes:

Haha... is that the new fitting tool Jeff?

A note to ickle_monster_au and any other UK renntecher.....NEVER EVER EVER, I mean EVER do you hear me.......trust the UK dealership service network. In the UK, you can go to a recognised independent and have the service done there and it WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR WARRANTY.....BY LAW.

I am still on my 7th. Car hasnt been out much this year due to me working too hard :(

But its going in to have the new seal fitted within the next month.......by my independent of course!

A note to ickle_monster_au and any other UK renntecher.....NEVER EVER EVER, I mean EVER do you hear me.......trust the UK dealership service network. In the UK, you can go to a recognised independent and have the service done there and it WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR WARRANTY.....BY LAW.

Amen to that!!

I use my OPC for the 4 letter dirty word only (FPSH) and the rest goes to Autofarm and my girl has never been happier.

I am 6K miles into my 997 seal fitted by Autofarm but they also did the IMS which was my leak point. It was the first one they had put into a 996 but so far all good.

Peter

I am still on my 7th. Car hasnt been out much this year due to me working too hard :(

But its going in to have the new seal fitted within the next month.......by my independent of course!

Hi, Scouser. Is the 7th the GT3 Motorsport seal installed backwards that you previously wrote was the end-all solution? Thanks.

Hi, Scouser. Is the 7th the GT3 Motorsport seal installed backwards that you previously wrote was the end-all solution? Thanks.

No. I was supposed to have that fitted back in May at my last service but the seal wasnt leaking so we left it. The 7th held up for the longest yet but alas it is now leaking again. So, it will go on again to have the 8th done. Now the question is do I go with the new 997 one, the 4th in the line of seal types or do I go to the GT3 deal fitted backwards. My independent seems to think the later will genuinely fix the problem for good. We will see what they suggest in November.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Another victim of the RMS leak, for the moment, it is the first time. This week my car is in the Porsche Zentrum in Barcelona for do the change of RMS. Now it has 26.000 kilometers. I hope that there was the first and only.

It leaked some oil but after the last official maintenance the leak increase a lot. I think it was for the difference of viscosity.

I will tell you more in the next days.

Thank you.

JuanMa.

No. I was supposed to have that fitted back in May at my last service but the seal wasnt leaking so we left it. The 7th held up for the longest yet but alas it is now leaking again. So, it will go on again to have the 8th done. Now the question is do I go with the new 997 one, the 4th in the line of seal types or do I go to the GT3 deal fitted backwards. My independent seems to think the later will genuinely fix the problem for good. We will see what they suggest in November.

Bernie, I can´t understand this story... I took it badly :cursing:

Let's see if the GT3 backwards installed, really fits the problem.

Don't you think about selling the car and look for another? Or getting the engine replaced?

Hi!

Another victim of the RMS leak, for the moment, it is the first time. This week my car is in the Porsche Zentrum in Barcelona for do the change of RMS. Now it has 26.000 kilometers. I hope that there was the first and only.

It leaked some oil but after the last official maintenance the leak increase a lot. I think it was for the difference of viscosity.

I will tell you more in the next days.

Thank you.

JuanMa.

Joder Juanma , que putadón!!

You were looking up to the bulls-eye when you said that almost the 40% of 996 had the RMS problem... :o

Edited by juankimalo

Well, finally I have good news, I think.

The Zentrum called me and they say that the leak is in the the tiptronic system and they fix it today. :jump:

I think it is better that a fabulous RMS.

Tomorrow, more news.

Thank you.

JuanMa.

• 1 year later...

I had a RMS failure as well (two times). Finally the dealer GLUED the new seal into place, with the same stuff they use to glue sideskirts to the body. Been 12 months now and completely leak free. They say this does the job once and for all and do that on every RMS leak they encounter.. :rolleyes:

Might be helpfull! Worked fot me..

Edited by doubleb

I had a RMS failure as well (two times). Finally the dealer GLUED the new seal into place, with the same stuff they use to glue sideskirts to the body. Been 12 months now and completely leak free. They say this does the job once and for all and do that on every RMS leak they encounter.. :rolleyes:

Might be helpfull! Worked fot me..

Could that mean that the seal leaks between its periphery and the cases and not at the crank?