Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fabspeed Mufflers

I got some new information on the Fabspeed mufflers. Friday was track day, a generous track day at CMP in South Carolina. Some wet tracking, some dry tracking. Most of the time running 2-3 gear at over 5-7K rpm continuously. Odometer read about 135 miles total track - and most high rev.

With the helmet on, you can't hear much anyway. But the interesting information came after the track. Went out for dinner to a friends house, and it WAS a noticeable reduction in the sound. My wife and friend who were not in the track noticed first, then I noticed.

I do remember the strong smell of "new car muffler" burning after every track time, so the hypothesis of "burning them in" may have some validity.

Even with the top down, listening to the radio is fine now, almost as good as stock. But when you stomp on the gas, you get the sweet snarly sound that says "I am all business back here".

Still have not found a dB meter, but do have at least one data point here, when brand new and torqued to Porsche specs, the radio was useless and sounded like the cheap rice burner boy racer. Now torqued down tight and after some tracking work, it is generally normal (meaning stock-like) sounding around town. I can get used to this......

• 2 months later...

One final word on this thing. Never did get the dB meter, but the wife meter did peaked out. Actually, after 3 months, had to remove the Fabspeeds. The sound is, to copy a word from another thread, too "ricer" boy racer. I may keep them for track days, the car feels a bit quicker. But the sound is just too loud, borderline obnoxious.

I got some new information on the Fabspeed mufflers. Friday was track day, a generous track day at CMP in South Carolina. Some wet tracking, some dry tracking. Most of the time running 2-3 gear at over 5-7K rpm continuously. Odometer read about 135 miles total track - and most high rev.

With the helmet on, you can't hear much anyway. But the interesting information came after the track. Went out for dinner to a friends house, and it WAS a noticeable reduction in the sound. My wife and friend who were not in the track noticed first, then I noticed.

I do remember the strong smell of "new car muffler" burning after every track time, so the hypothesis of "burning them in" may have some validity.

Even with the top down, listening to the radio is fine now, almost as good as stock. But when you stomp on the gas, you get the sweet snarly sound that says "I am all business back here".

Still have not found a dB meter, but do have at least one data point here, when brand new and torqued to Porsche specs, the radio was useless and sounded like the cheap rice burner boy racer. Now torqued down tight and after some tracking work, it is generally normal (meaning stock-like) sounding around town. I can get used to this......

Radio Shack sells a adjustable DB meter around #35 bucks as I remember.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up removing the Fabspeeds, regardless of the dB meter, the wife meter was beeping. Realistically, too loud for crusing, the resonance was really unbearable to some neighbors asking me if I had a bad muffler. So I put the stocks back on.

Now, I installed GHL's, just bought them from Dave-G. His description was perfect for me, so I decided to try them out. Dave shipped them immediately, installed them this weekend. (Thanks again Dave)

I got to say, they are the perfect combination for me. Just a bit lower note than stock up to about 3500-4000 rpm, from there on up they sound just like the Fabspeed. The throttle response is pretty good too. I had noticed when I hung the stocks back after removing the Fabspeeds that the backpressure was quite different and throttle response harder.

So for now, I will spend a month with the GHL's. But first impression, they are good to stay.

Fabspeeds anyone before they go to Ebay?

Izzy

I ended up removing the Fabspeeds, regardless of the dB meter, the wife meter was beeping. Realistically, too loud for crusing, the resonance was really unbearable to some neighbors asking me if I had a bad muffler. So I put the stocks back on.

Now, I installed GHL's, just bought them from Dave-G. His description was perfect for me, so I decided to try them out. Dave shipped them immediately, installed them this weekend. (Thanks again Dave)

I got to say, they are the perfect combination for me. Just a bit lower note than stock up to about 3500-4000 rpm, from there on up they sound just like the Fabspeed. The throttle response is pretty good too. I had noticed when I hung the stocks back after removing the Fabspeeds that the backpressure was quite different and throttle response harder.

So for now, I will spend a month with the GHL's. But first impression, they are good to stay.

Izzy

I really don't understand why you keep whining about your Fabspeeds. If you don't like them that is fine.. But why the constant bashing? I love mine and everyone including my wife loves the sound. Maybe you should just get a Prius. They make no sound at all.

Izzy

I really don't understand why you keep whining about your Fabspeeds. If you don't like them that is fine.. But why the constant bashing? I love mine and everyone including my wife loves the sound. Maybe you should just get a Prius. They make no sound at all.

Not sure what prompted the personal attack. But I rather keep this forum professional and about Porsche information. Just stating an opinion based on testing of three units.

I love my fabs, not too loud at all, wifes not a problem, she hates the suspension to start with.

Phillip, I think I'm gonna make a treck to Joe's place for a set of headers, chip and dyno session.

I have the FabSpeed Chip, airbox upgrade and cold air intake and the headers and cats. The cats make it quite a bit louder. The headers alone (according to Fabspeed) will cause no increase in sound.

The performance increase is awesome. I love everything I have bought from them and the quality is outstanding.

I have been around racing all my life and I just can't leave anything stock. Will not touch the motor though!!

Phillipj

Izzy

Not sure what prompted the personal attack. But I rather keep this forum professional and about Porsche information. Just stating an opinion based on testing of three units.

Sorry Izzy,

That was un called for. I think your input is very helpful. Hope you enjoy the new mufflers

Phillipj

How did the testing go? Did you fire her up with no mufflers on?! Fabspeed has the Cup Bypass pipes, which are basically just pipe off of the cats! Great for the track... BAD for the neighborhood!!! (I had a set fabricated because I am poor) But it would be interesting to see those results next to the sport exhaust systems!

Just thought that I would add more fuel to the fire!

Have a great day!

-Sean

I posted this ages ago. Here is a little combo vid of my trip to Spain last year. The vid is a bit shaky but you can sure here the fabspeed ;)

I don;t get any resonence problems and the sound is hair raising.

My wife and I did this 3500 trip and never once got a head ache.

My setup is vanilla maxflow only. No headers or air filter or anything.

Click here

Edited by Scouser

• 2 months later...

is anyone running the fabspeed maxflo with the open air cleaner along with a chip? thats the combo i'm considering on my 98 993 cabriolet....if so which chip? from what i find you can't beat the hp gain of the chip pricewise but you need your exhaust set up first to optimize the chip....if anyone has researched this ? your input would be appreciated

I have new Fabspeed mufflers with a stock intake system on a brand new engine in my '99 tip coupe. Thank you Warrantech! :)

Still in break-in mode on the engine but at rpm around 4K, the Fabspeeds are quieter than the B&B's they replaced. Absolutely no vibration or rattling of any kind.