Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water inside the car

As I got in my car and drove away this morning, I heard a strange noise behind the passenger seat. It appears to be water! I can hear it splashing back and forth somewhere in the back. Also, there is water under the passenger's seat. This has never happened before. Any ideas? Should I just take it to the dealership since it is still under warranty? Thanks. :angry:

If it's just paint water, I'd suspect your top or window seals. Did it rain recently? Did you park w top down in garage or underground parking garage? Was car washed?

You should determine source of leak by spraying water onto the car of different angles and areas while someon is in the car. This can give you an idea before you take it to the dealer.

Water damage can be severe. I'd get an appt w dealer asap. They should determine the source of leak and dry interior completely to avoid damage to carpet, electrnical switches and odor. I'd try to locat source of leak myself also.

As I got in my car and drove away this morning, I heard a strange noise behind the passenger seat.  It appears to be water!  I can hear it splashing back and forth somewhere in the back.  Also, there is water under the passenger's seat.  This has never happened before.  Any ideas?  Should I just take it to the dealership since it is still under warranty?  Thanks.  :angry:

Carefully determine the source. Spraying water on the car to find it could increase the damage. The imobilizer is under the drivers seat and if it gets wet you will have it on a flatbed. Been there. New imobilier, lock motors, etc... Covered by body shop that boo boo'd...

Well, here is what I was able to see. It apers that there is a hole on each side of the car under the top. I am assuming that they're some kind of drains. I stuck my finger in the one on the driver's side and it was pretty dry and no obstructions. But when I put my finger in the one in the passenger's side I could feel water (well I hope that's what it was) and I could feel something inside. It kind of slid further in, out of my finger's reach.

So am I correct? These are drains right? Can I put something in there and push whatever obstruction it was all the way out? Could this be the problem? Any suggestions? Thanks

Edited by rhregis

Well, here is what I was able to see.  It apers that there is a hole on each side of the car under the top.  I am assuming that they're some kind of drains.  I stuck my finger in the one on the driver's side and it was pretty dry and no obstructions.  But when I put my finger in the one in the passenger's side I could feel water (well I hope that's what it was) and I could feel something inside.  It kind of slid further in, out of my finger's reach.

So am I correct?  These are drains right?  Can I put something in there and push whatever obstruction it was all the way out?  Could this be the problem?  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Yep. Coat hanger straightened out should do it.

Well, here is what I was able to see.  It apers that there is a hole on each side of the car under the top.  I am assuming that they're some kind of drains.  I stuck my finger in the one on the driver's side and it was pretty dry and no obstructions.  But when I put my finger in the one in the passenger's side I could feel water (well I hope that's what it was) and I could feel something inside.  It kind of slid further in, out of my finger's reach.

So am I correct?  These are drains right?  Can I put something in there and push whatever obstruction it was all the way out?  Could this be the problem?  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Yep these drains (plugged) are the most common cause of your problem.

I used compressed air with good results. A ton of junk came flying out the bottom of the drain. I was surprised at how much. A seat fuse that had blown frequently has been perfect since (for about 6 months now).

I took a short trip (under 2 miles) to the grocery yesterday. I parked my car, locked it with the remote button on the key and was inside for about 10 minutes. When I came out the car would not unlock by hitting the remote button.

I unlocked the car with the key and then used the key to start the car......no start. I thought that maybe I had not pushed the clutch in far enough and so I tried again........no start. The lights on the dash all came on, radio comes on everything seems right...... but no clicky-no cranky-no nothing! AAARRGHH! I called my wife to come pick me up and I leave the car there. After about 20 minutes I go back to the car, the remote still does not work to unlock the car...but it starts! So I drive home and shut the car off and try to re-start the car........same thing! no start! AAARRGHH! After about 20 to 30 minutes I go back out to the car and it starts, so this time, while it is running I drive it to my local Porsche mechanic guru swami guy who is about 3 miles away.

On the way there I determine that I will pull up and leave the car running and go in and talk to them about what the problem might be. So, I pull up and in a total reflex reaction shut off the car...AAARRGH!...with my knee all out of joint from kicking myself in the but...I try to re-start the car.....same thing....@#$$%!

I go in, find the guru and spin my tale of frustration and heartache. He says "is the carpet wet on the driver's side?" I say "I'll check".....they were....I say "now what?".

Well, it seems that they are finding that all the new P-car convertibles are getting the body drains clogged up and when they do then water enters the passenger compartment. This would not be extremely significant if not for the fact that one of the brain boxes is located in a "well" or "recess" under the drivers seat. Mine was sitting in a pool of water! We have had a lot of rain here over the past few days, not like "judgment of God" kind of rain but a good bit of rain, so......

Moral of the story.......Make sure your drains are clear! If they are not it will cost you money and make you use bad language.

I just posted this on the Rennlist Boxster forum awhile ago. This happened to me yesterday!

0586slb,

I do in fact keep the car outdoors, and there are a lot of trees where I live. I am sure this was the cause of the problem. I could not see what came out, but I poured water down the drains and they appeared to be working properly. I still want to try the compressed air method to make sure I got everything out. From now on I'll maintain those drains regurlarly. By the way, the car is a 2003.