Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Worn front anti-sway bar bushing

After working on my car for the tiptronic transmission, my mechanic told me that one (or possibly both) of my front anti-sway bar bushings are worn. He quoted me $150 to fix.

I figured this might be something I can do myself.

But I am unsure as to what a worn bushing actually looks like/feels like/does.

I got under the car and traced the front anti-sway bars to its ends, and found a vertical stabiliser bar at each end that connects the FASB to the suspension strut. This vertical stabiliser bar (996 343 069 02) has bushings at each of it's ends. The stabliser bar can be rotated/twisted along its vertical axis. Is this normal or is this what my mechanic meant by worn bushings?

Edited by Jinster

• Moderators

This is an easy, easy fix. If you pull the front plastic undertray off, you will easily see the bushings. They are cheap, I recall paying $17 each when I bought 2, a few years back. $150 sounds like a complete rip-off.

Graeme

Graeme, the bushes are fitted inside the holes of the vertical stabiliser bar as far as I can see. Did you just replace the bushes or did you replace the entire vertical stabiliser bar? I checked my PET5 catelogue. There doesn't appear to be a separate item number for the bushes.

• Admin
Graeme, the bushes are fitted inside the holes of the vertical stabiliser bar as far as I can see. Did you just replace the bushes or did you replace the entire vertical stabiliser bar? I checked my PET5 catelogue. There doesn't appear to be a separate item number for the bushes.

My parts list shows part numbers for the bushings - but it will depend on model year, model, and standard or sport suspension. Give me those and I will get the part numbers.

You are not looking at the correct parts. The bushings are rubber and isolate the sway bar from the chassis. The bushings surround the sway bar and are held in place with U-shaped brackets. If you have not taken off the plastic undertray you are not looking at the bushings.

ar38070, I know those bushes you are referring to. I don't think my mechanic was referring to those coz they feel very stable to me. There are rubber bushes inside the two ends of the vertical stabiliser bar that appear to have broken down/fragmented/worn out. This seems to be causing vertical stabiliser bars to rotate along its vertical axis very easily if you try to twist it with your fingers.

Loren, my car is a 1997 Boxster tiptronic, standard suspension. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
is a drop link meant to rotate axially/vertically when you twist it?
Yes.

Can you post a pic or two of the drop links and the main bar bushings (mounts)? I still think your mechanic meant the main bar bushings.

Sorry about the lateness of reply, Loren. I just had a chance to get the car up and get under it today. Here are the pics:

Australian passenger side (US driver side):

post-1432-1130407129_thumb.jpgpost-1432-1130407189_thumb.jpgpost-1432-1130407222_thumb.jpg

Australian driver side (US passenger side):

post-1432-1130407256_thumb.jpgpost-1432-1130407282_thumb.jpgpost-1432-1130407324_thumb.jpg

I suspect the broken rubber bushing on the (OZ) driver's side is what my mechanic may have been talking about. Although does a broken bush in itself really cause trouble? I thought it only acts as a dust cap to the joint.

I tried to axially twist the drop links today - neither would move. The difference between today and the last time I tried it was that I only jacked up the car on one side today - both wheels are still touching ground. Wheels were off the ground when the drop links could be twisted axially by hand last time.

Also, the (OZ) driver's side drop link looks a bit bent towards the sway bar end. Could that be causing any problems in my suspension? Is the function of the drop link to send force up/downwards?

Edited by Jinster

• Admin

Very unusual... I wonder if something hit it?

I think you are going to have to replace the drop link on that side. You might want to consider replacing both so the wear is even.

For an RoW car the part numbers are:

996 343 069 03 Left drop link - US retail 41.38 USD (as of Oct 2005)

996 343 070 03 Right drop link - US retail 41.38 USD