Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Roll bar install for GT3

rockitman

Safety Device makes the best roll bar or cage other than factory cage. Finished nice with black powder coat, and fit well. Plates have to be welded in and then roll bar is bolted to plates. All for about the same cost as the bolt in factory bar which is mostly cosmetic with little strength.

Jim, with that stuff installed, you should take it out to that Nevada "race" on the open highway. To run the higher speed classes you need a bar and belts- that sounds like it would be a blast, and a lot safer than the back roads in Wisconsin on the way to Road AMerica! And a lot easier on your driver's license. As far I know, I don't think there is another GT3 in Iowa but who knows. I did get GT 3 for a plete though...

Safety Device makes the best roll bar or cage other than factory cage. Finished nice with black powder coat, and fit well. Plates have to be welded in and then roll bar is bolted to plates. All for about the same cost as the bolt in factory bar which is mostly cosmetic with little strength.

Little strength???? Strong enough to keep the roof from crushing in the event of a roll over...Not doing the 24 Hour at Le Man here averaging 170 mph.... :drive:

Good enough for some PCA classes. Besides if you are doing any of the serious classes you need a roll cage...A little overkill for 95% street driving , IMO

see PCA rule appendix A

http://www.pca.org/pca/clubrace/docs/pca_rules_2004.pdf

Edited by rockitman

Little strength???? Strong enough to keep the roof from crushing in the event of a roll over...Not doing the 24 Hour at Le Man here averaging 170 mph.... :drive:

Good enough for some PCA classes. Besides if you are doing any of the serious classes you need a roll cage...A little overkill for 95% street driving , IMO

This was a big controversy in PCA Club racing last year. The rule states "The

roll bar must be securely mounted to the floor and/or longitudinal members of the unibody with the top of the main hoop at least 2" above the driver's helmet when the driver is seated in the normal driving position. The mounting area of "bolt-in" roll bars must be backed by a plate of a size equal to that of the upper mounting plate with a minimum thickness of 3/16". Bolts must be grade 5 or higher."

This requirement of a backing plate effectively eliminates most bolt in roll bars such as the Tequipment bar or the DAS-Sport bar from use in PCA Club racing. The factory Club Sport bar or the Safety Devices bar are legal because they both use backing plates that are welded to the underside of the car.

Karl

Well that kind of sux...But no real problem...my beauty will not see the light of day of wheel to wheel racing(There will be the occasional DE's or rented track days)...I will purchase a used cup car for that purpose after I make the move to racing in a couple of years. But before that, I will start my race career in a mini cooper class or one of the scca tuned club cars and get some real race experience before tossing around an expensive porsche on the track in competition...