Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Jan '05 987S with PCM Upgrade unit to play MP3

My car is a Jan '05 UK 987S w/PCM & Bose and just missed the April 05 change where the unit was able to play MP3's.

Would someone know if a firmware update would fix this or be available? My OPC (Colchester, UK) says that it is not possible but I think that he is giving me the 'safe' answer.

Failing this, I will have have to be patient and wait for the Denison MOST link (which I believe should be out Q1 2006??) and buy an iPod.

This thread originally started over in the boxa.net forum and someone recommended I put it over here, at renntech.

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17969

Loren, would you know the answer to this?

Thanks in advance everyone,

Stuey

• Admin

There were two PCM2 software/firmware upgrades for PCM2 - one in August and one in September. Your OPC should have TSBs on these (the US/Canada ones are here in the TSB section). It does not say all the changes but there a number of variations that were shipped - that all need updates.

Have a look at TSb 12/05 9110 PCM2.1 Navigation Update - dated Sept 7, 2005

For example:

Overview – Part numbers/software versions of the PCM2.1

Part Number Date of Introduction* Software Version Update Version

997.642.101.0x Up to CW 42/04 04035xxx Standard production status

997.642.103.0x Up to CW 42/04 04035xxx Standard production status

997.642.131.0x Up to CW 42/04 04035xxx Standard production status

997.642.133.0x Up to CW 42/04 04035xxx Standard production status

997.642.101.1x As of CW 42/04 04202xxx Update of existing Model Level A

997.642.103.1x As of CW 42/04 04202xxx Update of existing Model Level A

997.642.141.0x As of CW 16/05 05024xxx Update of existing Model Level B

997.642.143.0x As of CW 16/05 05024xxx Update of existing Model Level B

* CW = Calendar Week

There were two PCM2 software/firmware upgrades for PCM2 - one in August and one in September. Your OPC should have TSBs on these (the US/Canada ones are here in the TSB section). It does not say all the changes but there a number of variations that were shipped - that all need updates.

Have a look at TSb 12/05 9110 PCM2.1 Navigation Update - dated Sept 7, 2005

For example:

Overview – Part numbers/software versions of the PCM2.1

Part Number Date of Introduction* Software Version Update Version

997.642.101.0x Up to CW 42/04 04035xxx Standard production status

997.642.103.0x Up to CW 42/04 04035xxx Standard production status

997.642.131.0x Up to CW 42/04 04035xxx Standard production status

997.642.133.0x Up to CW 42/04 04035xxx Standard production status

997.642.101.1x As of CW 42/04 04202xxx Update of existing Model Level A

997.642.103.1x As of CW 42/04 04202xxx Update of existing Model Level A

997.642.141.0x As of CW 16/05 05024xxx Update of existing Model Level B

997.642.143.0x As of CW 16/05 05024xxx Update of existing Model Level B

* CW = Calendar Week

Thanks Loren,

Just checked my version and it is 0402JD1 - looks like the OPC will need a bit of education on updated software. Still not sure if it will play MP3's though. Also I'll have to splash out £496 GBP on a new navigation DVD.

Loren, what's the situation w.r.t. discussing where I got this info from? Or do I just say that I know that there was a TSB on Sept 7th 2005 discussing this?

Regards

Stu

Can anyone enlighten me on what this mp3 playing function is.

I have mp3 files , a cd burner , Itunes and an ipod ,but am unfamiliar on how to utilize this function in pcm.Do I have to burn mp3 files on a disk?

I am told that a disk can hold hundreds of files ?How do I do this?

I have mp3 files , a cd burner , Itunes and an ipod ,but am unfamiliar on how to utilize this function in pcm.Do I have to burn mp3 files on a disk?

Easy. Create the playlist that you wish to burn. Go to Itunes>Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Burning and select MP3 CD. See attached image.

post-7626-1132051511_thumb.jpg

Then burn. ;-)

Easy. Create the playlist that you wish to burn. Go to Itunes>Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Burning and select MP3 CD. See attached image.

post-7626-1132051511_thumb.jpg

Then burn. ;-)

Do i need to use a different type of disk , thanks for the tutorial....

d to use a different type of disk , thanks for the tutorial....

Any software that can burn a CD can make a MP3 disk for you. Need to select a "data" disk instead of a "audio" disk. Then just copy the mp3's. Your player should understand that this is a mp3 disk instead of standard music disk.

Any software that can burn a CD can make a MP3 disk for you. Need to select a "data" disk instead of a "audio" disk. Then just copy the mp3's. Your player should understand that this is a mp3 disk instead of standard music disk.

I have one CD player (SONY) that can't read an MP3 disk if there are more than 99 MP3s in the root directory. For your first 'trial' disk, you might want to keep the number of tunes to a lower number like 20 or 30 songs.