Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

boxster when its cold

My 2000 S seems to be cold natured!!! When I started the otherday when it was cold outside it didn't seem to run as welll as when its hot outside. Has anyone noticed that before. My car has only 24000 miles......

Can you be more specific about not running as well? I know my 2000s when the car is cold regardless of the temp outside does not run as good for intance it does not shift as smoothly and is a little jerky, but once it warms up it runs well :thumbup: . I do notice it running a little stronger when the temp outside is anywhere between 40 to 60 degrees maybe because of the colder air for the intake.

Poppycock! Pish posh! Nonsense! A car running better when it's warmed up? Never heard of such a thing...

Seriously though...what exactly do you mean by 'not running well'? If you mean the transmission is hard to get in gear, the idle is lumpier than usual, you hear extra helpings of creaks, groans, and rattles...then that's perfectly normal for any car. Especially my girlfriend's early '85 944. That car REALLY hates the cold weather by comparison, but when she's warmed up, she behaves like a good girl.

I have a '99 Carrera 4, and we both drive our cars in the winter. We both have second sets of wheels with snow tires mounted to them. She adds 120 lbs of kitty litter to her cargo area, my car is left as it. And how cold is cold? Today on my way to my folks' house, the outside temp reading was 12 degrees F. Since we just had several inches of snow, I can't say whether the engine really feels much peppier with the super-cold air because I can't really open it up in these conditions. But definitely, the car works better once it's warmed up.

On the other hand, neither of our cars seem to run any different engine-wise in the super-cold weather. The idle kicks up like the computer tells it to for a longer period of time, and the idle may be slightly bumpier (barely perceptible, really), but otherwise, they work like they're supposed to.

I don't know how long it takes for the 911's idle to drop down to 'normal' after first starting it in the cold, because I always start driving almost immediately after starting the car. This way, the entire engine/transmission/chassis warms up together, and this also places less wear/stress on the catalytic converters.

By the way, despite all-wheel-drive, PSM, and the engine in the back, ye olde low-tech (not even ABS!) 944 is the better-handling winter car, mainly because of the skinnier tires and high polar moment of inertia. It's really quite the snowmobile.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about starts in really cold weather but sometimes I start my 2001 in the 40s. It always starts with no problems. It fires on all cylinders immediately and runs smooth. I don't take the revs over 2600-2800 RPM until the temp gage is at normal.

I don't know about starts in really cold weather but sometimes I start my 2001 in the 40s. It always starts with no problems. It fires on all cylinders immediately and runs smooth. I don't take the revs over 2600-2800 RPM until the temp gage is at normal.

I don't know about really cold weather either. My 02S has been starting and running in the 20s all last week - the only difference I detect compared to 50s is a lack of oil smell (too cold for the RMS to leak?). No hesitation or tendency to stall.

I stay below 3500 RPM until the heater starts to blow hot. I also keep it under 35 MPH until the heater begins to blow hot, but that is for me - not the car. Freeway wind chill is something fierce with the top down on sub-freezing days. I usually stick to the back roads :D

Ive noticed that when I start it in the morning It runs a little less then it should. Give it 30 seconds for it to warm up a bit at it runs awesome in the cold. Maybe some type of saftey mechanism so you dont rev it up when the engine is cold and oil has not circulated.

My acura had that mechanism which it shut down the Vtech until it warmed up. Not that it has anything to do with this but its just a thought.