Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hard Top Mounting Question for Loren...

Hello,

Although this question is directed to Loren, I welcome anybody who has any info on the matter.

I have a 99-00 Carrera Cabriolet with a Factory Hardtop. I have installed my hardtop for the winter rain season in Vancouver but it seems loose. What I mean by this is that it does not stop rattling or what I feel like is shifting.

When I am in the car going over mildy bumpy roads if I put my hand outside the glass between the A-piller and the roof I can feel the roof bouncing off the front windshield frame.

Does the roof have seals that are worn maybe or plugs between the roof and the front frame that are missing?

I looked on the main latch in the front, is there a way to adjust it so it pulls the hardtop against teh frame harder?

I am at my wits end without a manual. If I can adjust it can you show me how Loren? Maybe I am just putting it on wrong, it seems idiot proof enough...

Either way, your help as always is apreciatted.

Raymond

After reading the above post I am now wondering if a hard top indeed makes a cab more solid, with less wind noise and with less rattles (very annoying to have so many rag top rattles on such an expensive car)? These are some of the reasons as to why I am contemplating on buying a hard top for mine so any help from you expert will help me. Bottom line, is the hard top worth the expense or is it just a mere nicety?

Also, will any 996 hard top fit my cab? Mine is a MY2000 but will a MY2002 or even MY2004 fit it?

Thanks,

• Moderators

Most of the rattles and creaks can be quieted by a good coat of silicon lubricant spray on the windshield header gasket and side window gaskets, some lithium grease in the rear latch barrels, and wrapping the hardtop rear locking pins with teflon tape. There are also 2 alignment tabs on the front corners of the hardtop that go into corresponding recesses on the windshield header above the sunvisor pivot arm mount. Applying a little grease to those tabs will also quiet the rattling noise. The little caps that go over the rear locking pin access holes can rattle as well. Some tape on the snap tabs will make them fit a little more snugly.

Because there are only 5 attachment points for the top, of which 3 have latches on them, the top will flex no matter what you do, so the more the top is lubricated at the major flex points, the quieter it will be. The major source of "rattle" noise is from the windshield header gasket getting dry and rubbing against the hardtop. Keeping that gasket lubricated will keep it quiet.

I can tell you from experience that if the gaskets are lubricated prior to installing the hardtop, the car with the hardtop is quite a bit quieter, and will get better gas milage. I'm not sure that the top contributes to any increased rigidity however.

Most of the rattles and creaks can be quieted by a good coat of silicon lubricant spray on the windshield header gasket and side window gaskets, some lithium grease in the rear latch barrels, and wrapping the hardtop rear locking pins with teflon tape. There are also 2 alignment tabs on the front corners of the hardtop that go into corresponding recesses on the windshield header above the sunvisor pivot arm mount. Applying a little grease to those tabs will also quiet the rattling noise. The little caps that go over the rear locking pin access holes can rattle as well. Some tape on the snap tabs will make them fit a little more snugly.

Because there are only 5 attachment points for the top, of which 3 have latches on them, the top will flex no matter what you do, so the more the top is lubricated at the major flex points, the quieter it will be. The major source of "rattle" noise is from the windshield header gasket getting dry and rubbing against the hardtop. Keeping that gasket lubricated will keep it quiet.

I can tell you from experience that if the gaskets are lubricated prior to installing the hardtop, the car with the hardtop is quite a bit quieter, and will get better gas milage. I'm not sure that the top contributes to any increased rigidity however.

Gary, do your suggestions also apply to a soft top? See my squeak complaints have to do with the soft top as I've not fitted a hard top yet.

Did you have a good thanksgiving? Mine's been kinda unpleasant. Between a swollen tooth from a root canal and a severe cold my 4 day plans have gone to heck :censored:

Edited by gcp

.... (very annoying to have so many rag top rattles on such an expensive car)? These are some of the reasons as to why I am contemplating on buying a hard top for mine so any help from you expert will help me. .

I do not believe that rattles are inevitable with the 996 Cab. Mine is a 2000 with almost 50K miles, and I don't have any .... short of crossing some severely bumpy surface .... the kind that would make any car rattle.

I have ordered Kryox to have on hand (as prescribed in the TSB) and some Ice Wax (as reported helpful by other forum posters) .... but have not had the need as yet.

So, bottom line ..... it seems the cab tops are not predestined to rattle and, therefore, most rattles must be solveable in some way.

Kim

2000 Cab

• Moderators

George:

The header squeak/rattle can be solved on both hardtop and softtop cars by keeping the header gasket lubricated. This is the number one source of most noise. Since your car is recently acquired, chances are it has not been lubed up in a while.

The other thing you can do is to raise the top halfway and spray some lubricant on the various pivots and hinges that are in the top mechanism.

Sorry to hear about your tooth. That sort of stuff is no fun.

On the softtop, majority of the squeek and rattle are due to warped flocking panel (plastic front panel between headliner and canvass), loose braces in rear, as well as lubrication around header, window sills. All the rattles can be removed but it will take sometime to fix each one by one. Until all noises are fixed, it'll seem like rattles come one by one when in fact all noises are masked by the louder one. A few trips to the dealer or persistent fixing usually does the job. Start with the lubes mentioned. If not fixed, hold the braces in rear to see if noises are caused there. If the noise is from the header despite lube, suspect your flocking panel is warped (esp if it's parked outdoors).

What is a "Flocking" panel? And how can you tell if it is flocked up? :)

Sounds to me like I have some truly investigative work to do...if I can ever get out of bed :cursing: So lets take it a step at the time, what lubs do you suggest for the rubber parts? I have some croil that ought to work wonders on the iron parts.

Thanks for the suggestions guys but what are TSBs?

Edited by gcp

TSB = technical service bulletin

Flocking panel is a plastic panel at the front most part of the soft top. You notice the front part of the soft top is solid, w a panel under the canvass. That's the flocking panel. It can warp due to heat when parked outside and cause lots of noise with the headers.

Flocking panel is a plastic panel at the front most part of the soft top. You notice the front part of the soft top is solid, w a panel under the canvass. That's the flocking panel. It can warp due to heat when parked outside and cause lots of noise with the headers.

Porsche also updated the mounting hardware in 2002 ( I think?). When my car was still under the factory warranty I complained about it and they updated the hardware - it made a big difference.

George:

The header squeak/rattle can be solved on both hardtop and softtop cars by keeping the header gasket lubricated. This is the number one source of most noise. Since your car is recently acquired, chances are it has not been lubed up in a while.

The other thing you can do is to raise the top halfway and spray some lubricant on the various pivots and hinges that are in the top mechanism.

Sorry to hear about your tooth. That sort of stuff is no fun.

Well, I've traced down my soft top's rattle/creak to the passenger side. There is a hard rubber hump there (probably some sort of stopper) that rubs on the metal/plastic frame due to driving vibrations or maybe even misalignment. A bit of dry film lube on this rubber piece and the noise is gone....for ever I hope.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Porsche also updated the mounting hardware in 2002 ( I think?). When my car was still under the factory warranty I complained about it and they updated the hardware - it made a big difference.

Porsche redesigned the Centering Pins for the Cab to a one piece model (left and right side) see TSB 6110 in April of 03 because the older centering pins were manufactured as two pieces (one piece was the pin and the other was a 'cap') The cap cracked or would fall off the pin over time making the top loose. The new part is one piece and its a bit thicker than the old design.

I bought the new pins from Sunset Porsche for 27.00 ea and changed it over in a matter of two minutes on my MY00 C4 Cab. So, that settled one source of the rattles in my top. I agree that there are several areas where the noises which are described as creaks, squeaks, clicks and rattles.. But I also understand that the car is what it is ...Great! and well... everthing can be fixed over time.

So its great to have all of your experiences to learn from.

Bob

Porsche redesigned the Centering Pins for the Cab to a one piece model (left and right side) see TSB 6110 in April of 03 because the older centering pins were manufactured as two pieces (one piece was the pin and the other was a 'cap') The cap cracked or would fall off the pin over time making the top loose. The new part is one piece and its a bit thicker than the old design.

I bought the new pins from Sunset Porsche for 27.00 ea and changed it over in a matter of two minutes on my MY00 C4 Cab. So, that settled one source of the rattles in my top. I agree that there are several areas where the noises which are described as creaks, squeaks, clicks and rattles.. But I also understand that the car is what it is ...Great! and well... everthing can be fixed over time.

So its great to have all of your experiences to learn from.

Bob

Great tip, thanks Bob! Even though mine seems to be still in tact I may just buy the updated center pins and replace them myself to stop the occurance of future problems.

Now on to wind noise emanating from the windows, any suggestions on how to eliminate it? Has anyone tried inserting weather strips into the soft top's rubber pieces to make it bulge more and thus seal tighter against the glass surface?