Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How do I get rid of this noise?

• Moderators
Hello all,

My 2000 C4 is getting noisier it seems..

http://www.stsanford.com/scottstart/uploads/MOV01743.MPG

This video is really more for the sound than the video part, but it gives you an idea of when turning the steering wheel illicits the sound.

Thanks in advance!

Take off the steering wheel and lubricate the electrical contact ring for the horn switch.

Really, you think that's what it is?

Will do, I have some silicone lubricant that my Porsche Mechanic gave me, he says it's the best, but I didn't ask if it was good for this type of use. I've used it for lubricating the seals, etc. You think that would be good?

Thanks,

• Moderators

Will do, I have some silicone lubricant that my Porsche Mechanic gave me, he says it's the best, but I didn't ask if it was good for this type of use. I've used it for lubricating the seals, etc. You think that would be good?

Thanks,

Try spraying some down in the crack between the steering wheel and the steering column cover, and turn the wheel back and forth to spread it, and see if that stops it. If the spray has one of those little plastic tubes on it, stick the tube down in the crack to spray some on the face of the contact ring.

What can happen is that the spring contact blade on the wheel itself can get some fine debris (or dirt or sand) stuck in it and that is what you hear dragging across the contact ring. lubricating the contact area can break the debris free (sometimes). If that fails, then you need to take the wheel off, and clean the contact area, then re-lubricate it.

I've had other cars that have had the exact same problem. If it is dirt, don't let it go to long, as it will wear a groove in the contact ring.

Thanks,

Try spraying some down in the crack between the steering wheel and the steering column cover, and turn the wheel back and forth to spread it, and see if that stops it. If the spray has one of those little plastic tubes on it, stick the tube down in the crack to spray some on the face of the contact ring.

What can happen is that the spring contact blade on the wheel itself can get some fine debris (or dirt or sand) stuck in it and that is what you hear dragging across the contact ring. lubricating the contact area can break the debris free (sometimes). If that fails, then you need to take the wheel off, and clean the contact area, then re-lubricate it.

I've had other cars that have had the exact same problem. If it is dirt, don't let it go to long, as it will wear a groove in the contact ring.

I have had exactly the same thing. The OPC had just replaced my Top Mounts and then about 500 miles later this noise started. They said it was faulty parts and that this was a known problem. They replaced the parts FOC and it went away.

Sounds dreadful and like something is cranking away on a plastic ratchet.

I'm trying to get a photo of down lower in the steering column, I tried above and it didn't make much diference, seems the sound is coming from where the steering rod goes into the rubber gasket in the firewall.

I have a white plastic fitting which joins in-between the adjustable section of the steering shaft with the part that goes through the firewall, it's cracked in a couple of places and some of the white plastic is missing. should I be alarmed about this? Would it steering rod pop out of place?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It sounds to me like a suspension joint making the noise but it could be the upper strut mounts. Noises like this are sometimes hard to locate as the sound can travel through components making it rather hard to pinpoint. Purchase a mechanics stethoscope and get a friend to turn the wheel while you have a listen at all the suspension joints.... sometimes you can even feel the joint in question vibrate more then the others.

It sounds very loud to me, louder then any column bushing I've ever come across...... are you sure the noise can't be heard from outside of the car?? Sound can travel through components and be very misleading. Try standing outside the car well reaching through the window and turning the wheel and let us know what you find.

I have experienced this noise in one of my old race cars. it had to do with the steering wheel pulling on the steering shaft, I'm not sure as to how you could of had this happen during driving though. Is there some possibility of damage in the front suspension bushings and links? Like maybe you hit a hard bump in the road or a pothole? I would most definately remove the airbag and inspect it while making the noise to get a better idea. But before you remonve the steering wheel I would inspect the front suspension for weak/broken bushings or possibly bent tie rods. Do any of your cars track off ie. pull to one side or the other? It is harder to tell in 996's due to their pwer steering but you would still tend to notice if you let off the wheel on a straightaway. There is a possibility that if this car has the old school feeler arms instead of contact pins that one of the feelers is out of place but that is highly doubted/ impossible. If you inspect the front end and all appears even and well. Then move inside the car and listen with your head by the pedals to the hear if the joint is rubbing at all. I can only tell you this the noise is because the shaft that the steering wheel is bolted to is stressed for some reason or another. Best of luck with it! Jim=)