Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Locking nuts on 996 wheels

Hi, after recently buying a '99 996, I've just discovered that I don't have the socket for the locking nuts on the wheels. I wanted to remove them for cleaning, etc. I tried the one from a friends '01 Boxster S and it didn't fit. Are they year or model specific? Are there a large variety of patterns? Are they available for purchase anywhere? Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated!!!

Hi, after recently buying a '99 996, I've just discovered that I don't have the socket for the locking nuts on the wheels. I wanted to remove them for cleaning, etc. I tried the one from a friends '01 Boxster S and it didn't fit. Are they year or model specific? Are there a large variety of patterns? Are they available for purchase anywhere? Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated!!!

There are 6-8 different patterns for the sockets. You will probably need to go to a dealer and have them determine the pattern on yours, then they can order you the right socket. This is what I had to do when I bought my car.

AAh ... feeling a bit better that I can contribute instead of just asking questions !

I had the same issue today ! I got a flat tyre on Friday (6" nail !!) and discovered that I don't have the wheel lock key when I pulled into the tyre repair shop. I had to wait till Monday (today) for the parts section to open. So basically

- I filled air in the punctured tyre

- drove to the dealership immediately (under 50 mph) with the pressure still holding

- had someone from the porsche parts section find which one was "my key". They actually get their wheel lock kit (which has all the 60 or so keys) to the car and they try each one, one by one, to see which one fits you.

- once you have a match, they generally have one of each kind to sell immediately else you'd might need to order (and wait) for it to come.

The other end of a wheel key is a regular hexagonal head so you can still use the regular tools to get the wheel off. It was a pain, but if it deters the thieves, I'm ok with it. Just keep that wheel key near the donut for the times when you really need it ...

Siddharth

• 1 month later...
Never seen that few, or that much. For the 996/986 locks it was about 30.

The lock style changed for 987/997 and I do not have a picture of that kit.

Hi again all. I was wondering, since my closest dealer is over an hour away, can they, by chance, determine locking lug pattern by VIN? Thought perhaps I could order and save a trip. Or is there a way to remove them without the "key" and just replace with regular lugs? I may change wheels, and theft isn't a large concern (car doesn't get out much). Thanks as always for all the wondeful help & advice!!!

Never seen that few, or that much. For the 996/986 locks it was about 30.

The lock style changed for 987/997 and I do not have a picture of that kit.

Hi again all. I was wondering, since my closest dealer is over an hour away, can they, by chance, determine locking lug pattern by VIN? Thought perhaps I could order and save a trip. Or is there a way to remove them without the "key" and just replace with regular lugs? I may change wheels, and theft isn't a large concern (car doesn't get out much). Thanks as always for all the wondeful help & advice!!!

They are not related to the VIN, and may have been changed during the life of the car. A local INDY may have a set.

• Moderators

I also say the wheel locks are not related to the VIN.

If your car no longer has the "key" then you might remove them and put in standard wheel bolts. Have your dealer remove them and buy 4 new standard wheel bolts at the same time.

I removed the locking wheel bolts long ago, and replaced them with the standard wheel bolts. They were less than $5 each when I did it.

post-4-1141613649_thumb.jpg

You locking nuts can also be removed by a special removal tool, and an air wrench. BE AWARE, it will likely destroy the locking bolt, but at least you'll have the thing out. In a pinch, you can also destroy a socket by forcing it onto the locking bolt then removing it. Again, these are emergency type fixes with definite drawbacks.