Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mine doesn't stay up!

I recently replaced my armrest because it was broken. I think I might have installed the spring incorrectly because the door doesn't stay up when the release button is pushed.

Can someone tell me if the door is supposed to stay up? If so, can you please tell me the proper placement for the spring? Thanks in advance.

Pat

I did all this. I studied the picture with the spring position quit closely. What I recall what that the cover floated/levitated when the release button was pressed. Now, I have to lift the cover even after I've pressed the release button. Is that the way it should be? Thanks in advance.

I did all this. I studied the picture with the spring position quit closely. What I recall what that the cover floated/levitated when the release button was pressed. Now, I have to lift the cover even after I've pressed the release button. Is that the way it should be? Thanks in advance.

It should open up on its own a couple of inches at least. Check the tension in the spring coil before you slide the hinge pin through, it may have to be turned around once and then set into the slot before the pin goes in to get enough torque to raise the cover

Thanks. I definitely didn't put the spring in correctly. I have the longer spring under the silver plate with one screw on each end. The small end of the spring is sitting in the recessed area behind and below the hinge. Where should it actually be? Sorry to be a pain in the *** but I want it to work properly.

Thanks. I definitely didn't put the spring in correctly. I have the longer spring under the silver plate with one screw on each end. The small end of the spring is sitting in the recessed area behind and below the hinge. Where should it actually be? Sorry to be a pain in the *** but I want it to work properly.

The long end goes under the metal plate that the strap attatches to. The short end goes into the slot on the TOP of the hinge plate you riveted to the case. When the spring is on the hinge pin you have to set the short end on the hinge and rotate it around against the resistance to screw on the plate for teh retaining strap. teh long end of the spring has to go under the plate after you rotate the door towards closing and you basically "wind it up" as it goes down. Sorry if htis doenst sound right but it is hard to describe. I did the same thing when I replaced the broken hinge on my 99