Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

5mm Spacers (Long with pics)

I posted this on some of the 'other' Porsche forums and people seem to like the info contained herein. The comparison pics are best viewed on a wide screen to see all 3 images side-by-side.

Can you see the difference with the notorious 5mm spacer set on a 997 C4S?

Take the following test concerning the three photo exhibits shown below – these are A, B and C as written in Speed Yellow text.

All three photos were taken within an hour of each other at my remote testing facility (actually, it was at my mother’s house safely removed from the confines of Boston). The camera was on a tripod which was taped securely in place. The only difference is the position of the sun !!!!!! (I tried to control this but could not).

There are two sets of wheels involved:

-19” Carrera Classics with stock Michi PS2: 8J 235/35 front, 11J 305/30 rear

-18” MM3 with Winter Conti T810S: 8.5J 235/35 front, 10J 265/40 rear

One pic is with the Winter Contis and a 17mm spacer in the rear; One pic is with the Carrera Classics w/o spacers; One pic is with Carrera Classics w/5mm spacers x4.

Scroll down slowly so you don’t spoil it,…if you can’t see the 18” MM3 wheels, please visit another automotive forum now.

18w17mm.jpg19no5mm.jpg19w5mm.jpg

Yes, you guessed correctly….

A=18” Winter mode

B=Stock 19” Carrera Classics w/o spacers

C=Stock 19” Carrera Classics w/5mm spacers x4

It is indeed a fairly subtle difference. Was it worth the $292??? Maybe. I always felt like the stock rubber should have filled out the rear well a bit more on the C4 series – but it’s hard for me to tell now as I am just so **** happy to have my ‘real’ rubber back on the car.

Here are some other pics from my day of changing the tires over & over & over.

The 5mm Kit:

5mmkit.jpg

The kit comes with 20 new bolts (including 4 locking ones) which are 5mm longer:

boltcomparison.jpg

Rear Hub: no spacer, 17mm spacer, 5mm spacer respectively:

rearnospacer.jpgrear17mmspacer.jpgrear5mmspacer.jpg

Front Hub: no spacer, 5mm spacer, top view w/spacer respectively:

frontnospacer.jpgfront5mmspacer.jpgfrontquarter.jpg

And,…the finished product:

wintermode.jpgsummermode.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I just added the 5mm set this weekend.

Really easy to do...

Here's my before and after...

Thanks for posting your pics Benny....looks nice. Would you mind if I used your pics (alongside mine) on my personal web site?

• 2 weeks later...

I like my wheels and tires to be as flush to the side of the fenders as possible for one...

My second reason is because I was always planning on going up to a 305/30/19 size rear tire. The 5mm spacers ensures that the tire isn't any closer to the suspension or the inner side of the wheel well. Putting all of the extra 10mm on the outside will also make the rear tires look as flush as the front ones.

...and that's why I bothered.

I like my wheels and tires to be as flush to the side of the fenders as possible for one...

My second reason is because I was always planning on going up to a 305/30/19 size rear tire. The 5mm spacers ensures that the tire isn't any closer to the suspension or the inner side of the wheel well. Putting all of the extra 10mm on the outside will also make the rear tires look as flush as the front ones.

...and that's why I bothered.

it make sense. :)

• 4 months later...

Someone can tell me why porsche sells longer bolts with 5mm spacers?

I have seen that until 7mm standard bolts are used, more than 7mm longer bolts.

only for rise price of spacers? or any reason?

I want to buy 5mm spacers with standard bolts.. any problem?

Someone can tell me why porsche sells longer bolts with 5mm spacers?

I have seen that until 7mm standard bolts are used, more than 7mm longer bolts.

only for rise price of spacers? or any reason?

I want to buy 5mm spacers with standard bolts.. any problem?

You could probably get away with using the std 30mm bolts w/5mm spacers, although personally I would put 38mm bolts on. I added 6mm spacers w/38mm bolts primarily because I didn't like the idea of putting extra stress on the bolts.

• 2 weeks later...
Today I have been mounting spacers. Impossible for me unscrew little screws on hub. I have installed spacers with no screw, but with 130Nm on longer bolts.

What tool did you use for removing screws on hub?

What size spacers and where did you get them? If they are the Porsche 5mm spacers, there is only one small screw to remove and then replace on the spacer. Many use 5mm, 6mm and maybe larger without the single mounting screw. Need more info to help you.

Today I have been mounting spacers. Impossible for me unscrew little screws on hub. I have installed spacers with no screw, but with 130Nm on longer bolts.

What size spacers and where did you get them? If they are the Porsche 5mm spacers, there is only one small screw to remove and then replace on the spacer. Many use 5mm, 6mm and maybe larger without the single mounting screw. Need more info to help you.

Spacers are the same than coochas, Porsche kit 5mm spacer and longer bolts.

post-3924-1159344127.jpg

Spacers are the same than coochas, Porsche kit 5mm spacer and longer bolts.

Interesting - don't know what to tell you now. My Porsche 5mm spacers only had one screw. The 6mm and 7mm spacers I have from another supplier don't have any screws. Google fvd and check out their website -their picture of the 5mm spacer only shows one hole for a screw. Good luck.

That was my point I've see kits with them and without them -- maybe a little too tongue in cheek - :lol:

I checked mine again. I forgot they were from FVD. Only one hole and they were supplied with a longer screw (to take into account the increased 5mm thickness) plus the longer lug bolts. As the Carnewal pic shows, the Porsche spacer does have two holes plus longer screws...and I've seen many of these narrow spacers from other manufacturers without any screws - they just mount over the hub and with the wheel and lug bolts they're not going anywhere.