Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken Oil Fill Tube

I have a 1999 996 C2. The oil fill tube has cracked completely in two were the ribs start. Has this happened to anyone out there? Does anyone know of a DYI fix for this problem or is this something best left to an experienced Porsche mechanic? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank,

Lee

I have a 1999 996 C2. The oil fill tube has cracked completely in two were the ribs start. Has this happened to anyone out there? Does anyone know of a DYI fix for this problem or is this something best left to an experienced Porsche mechanic? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank,

Lee

Clean up both ends of the parts that broke with alcohol and epoxy them together. You insert the non ribbed part of the tube into the ribbed part a little bit. This is a perminant fix. Use the proper epoxy for plastic and make sure you have a complete seal around the entire tube.

Thank,

Lee

Clean up both ends of the parts that broke with alcohol and epoxy them together. You insert the non ribbed part of the tube into the ribbed part a little bit. This is a perminant fix. Use the proper epoxy for plastic and make sure you have a complete seal around the entire tube.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree on gluing the oil tube together. It probably would not stick after awhile and the glue may find it's way into the oil pan and possibly clog up your oil system. Don't be cheap and buy a brand new one and feel better about it.

Why do you think the epoxy wouldn't stick after a while? Why would it find it's way into the oil pan? Sorry but unless you put gobs of epoxy and somehow managed to breake pieces of the the extra material off I can't imagine it happening. It seems like a perfectly reasonable way to fix the issue. Of course if the tube isn't very expensive, it's probably not worth the effort to clean and glue, but that's up to him.

Why do you think the epoxy wouldn't stick after a while? Why would it find it's way into the oil pan? Sorry but unless you put gobs of epoxy and somehow managed to breake pieces of the the extra material off I can't imagine it happening. It seems like a perfectly reasonable way to fix the issue. Of course if the tube isn't very expensive, it's probably not worth the effort to clean and glue, but that's up to him.

It just won't stick after continuous exposure to oil. It won't happen right away but it will start to break down in an oil rich environment, I know because I see it all the time at work. Now, it would work as an emergency temporary fix, but that's all. I also think it's time to stop rigging your car if you can afford a car such as a Porsche.

Edited by WARDHOG

Get a new tube but it maybe hard to swap given the tight space. If you aren't handy, you may want to have a shop do this. Dealer will probly charge an hour of labor tops.

No sense in expoying the part as doing this often doesn't seal the crack completely and the hot engine heat will only weaken the bond. I don't see a reason to fix this on the cheap. How will you know you have a perfect bond in that tight engine bay?

Thank,

Lee

I'm sorry but I totally disagree on gluing the oil tube together. It probably would not stick after awhile and the glue may find it's way into the oil pan and possibly clog up your oil system. Don't be cheap and buy a brand new one and feel better about it.

I have done exactly what I explained above to more than 5 966's, including my 99 C2 5 years and 40,000 miles ago. They have all held and sealed. It is a perminant fix and oil will not effect cured epoxy. BUT, for those that are unable to repair things themselves, that's what they make part's department for.

Your concerns about the epoxy not sticking or falling into the pan are wrong for several reasons. First, the glue is perminent and second, the glue is on the outside of the tube. It's funny how none of you have ever done this yet you are experts on how it would not work. :(

The time to complete the fix is 15 minutes. It is a 2 hours job to install a new one.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

• Admin

It is okay to have different opinions on a subject. They are just that - "opinions".

Lee has had his question answered and he will make the final decision on what he does - just as any of us do.

I don't see any point in further comments so I am closing this topic.