Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sqeek when pressing clutch

You don't want to use WD40. It's a very common misconception that WD40 is a lubricant. It's not . It's a Water Displacer (hence, the "WD" in the name). That said, it will lubricate for a short while until it evaporates.

Like someone else said, when you find the sqeak, use a lithium lubricant.

-Charles

• Admin
MY99 loren..
TSB 1/99 3005 Boost Spring for Clutch Pedal -- dated 3-25-1999 states:

"As of October 12, 1998 production and the following VINs, the boost spring and clutch pedal have been

optimized for minimal operational noise.

99 0XS 62 4135 Coupe

99 1XS 65 2616 Cabrio"

If your car falls into this catagory then the following should be replaced: Clutch pedal, Boost spring bracket, Boost spring (spring painted purple), Optimol, Optitemp LG 2 grease.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSB 2/00 3005 Clutch Pedal Noise -- dated 9-8-2000

"Squeaking noise.

Cause: The clutch pedal power assist spring rubs against the spring casing.

Repair: Replace the clutch spring with a new contoured version clutch spring (see arrow in figure 2).

Note: A new contoured version clutch spring was installed in production as of the following VIN’s:

99 3YS 62 0534 Coupe

99 1YS 65 0950 Cabriolet"

One of the benefits of being a Contributing member is you can view these TSBs yourself.

If the noise is coming from within the bellhousing, it may be caused by a defective actuator lever. There is also a TSB issued for this. The noise itself if not a problem, but as the clutch wears, the bad lever can cause the release bearing to hang up for a few seconds when releasing the clutch pedal causing the clutch to slip momentarily.

There is a new lever designed and used now. If there is no slippage and the noise is not too annoying, replacement can wait til clutch is replaced. Parts cost approximately $50.

• 3 months later...

I am sorry to bring this topic up again, but I have a similar noise and it drives me crazy! The noise comes from the bellhousing. The problem in my case is that the clutch was replaced 6 months ago, so I cannot really wait until a new clutch is required to fix the noise. Could the noise be caused by a mistake during the new clutch install? Should my Porsche dealer fix this for free or will they charge for the work?

I am sorry to bring this topic up again, but I have a similar noise and it drives me crazy! The noise comes from the bellhousing. The problem in my case is that the clutch was replaced 6 months ago, so I cannot really wait until a new clutch is required to fix the noise. Could the noise be caused by a mistake during the new clutch install? Should my Porsche dealer fix this for free or will they charge for the work?

IF your car is a 99 or an early 00, and the shop that replaced you clutch did not replace the actuator lever, then, they should pull the tranny and do so, free of all labor charges. The parts are about $50. Shops and dealers should make themselves aware of any and all TSB's when performing work. I had a local shop replace my clutch and forgot to replace the actuator. Clutch slippage and noise occured. I didn't even ask them to do so, but they dropped the tranny and repaired it properly at no charge to me.

If a Porsche dealer did the work, then they do not have a leg to stand on and will fix it for you free.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

My car is a 03 so I guess there are no TSBs the dealer should have carried out. What I was wondering is whether I have the noise because of something the dealer did wrong during the clutch installation, or whether the two are completely not-related.

I had this issue on my '01 Boxster and it was fixed by using silicon spray. I can't remember exactly where the spray went, and it was really tough trying to find the linkage points with my face under the dash. It fixed the problem permanently, though.

Now I'm starting to hear it on my '04 S...so I'm going to do the same thing soon.

Unfortunately the noise comes from under the car, not under the dash. I suspect getting to the point that needs lubricating will need a lot of work ($$) which is why I am trying to figure out whether I have the noise because of something the dealer did wrong during the clutch installation, or whether the two are completely not-related (in which case I will have to pay for the work).

Unfortunately the noise comes from under the car, not under the dash. I suspect getting to the point that needs lubricating will need a lot of work ($$) which is why I am trying to figure out whether I have the noise because of something the dealer did wrong during the clutch installation, or whether the two are completely not-related (in which case I will have to pay for the work).

If the clutch was just changed by the dealer, they owe it to you to resolve the noise, even is they have to yank the tranny again. The installer is responsible for inspecting al related componants for proper operation. Don't be shy...go back and demand that they fix it.

Edited by 1999Porsche911