Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

5 Speed Manual Transmission Difficulties

So, I'm beginning to feel that my transmission is not completely normal. I have a 98 Boxster with the 5 speed manual. Clutch seems completely fine, it's just the shifting that's worrisome. With the clutch depressed at a stop, I cannot freely access every gear like in other cars. For example, at a stop, I can sometimes select 1st, 2nd, 5th, and R, but not 3rd or 4th. At least not with ease. And if I push the transmission into 3rd, it becomes more difficult to choose other gears. Nonetheless, driving is still OK just not as pleasureable as I want it to be. I start in 1st gear, but it never slips in like silk. Shifting into 2nd is not completely smooth either, but it'll still go in w/o force. Twice, when going down an incline with the car in 1st gear at very very slow speeds, the car has even popped out of gear. Every gear is selectable/usable, the shifting is just not smooth. No grinding of the gears or other noise from the gearbox. The car has very low miles (only about 10k) and has not been abused in any way. So, I'm less inclined to think it's an internal transmission thing, at least I hope not. The symptoms have not worsened. Everything is connected under the shift boot in the cockpit. Everything is stock, no short shift kits. Is there any kind of adjustment that could be off, maybe at the cable joining the transmission itself? Or would a transmission fluid change be helpful? Any advice is appreciated.

James

So, I'm beginning to feel that my transmission is not completely normal. I have a 98 Boxster with the 5 speed manual. Clutch seems completely fine, it's just the shifting that's worrisome. With the clutch depressed at a stop, I cannot freely access every gear like in other cars. For example, at a stop, I can sometimes select 1st, 2nd, 5th, and R, but not 3rd or 4th. At least not with ease. And if I push the transmission into 3rd, it becomes more difficult to choose other gears. Nonetheless, driving is still OK just not as pleasureable as I want it to be. I start in 1st gear, but it never slips in like silk. Shifting into 2nd is not completely smooth either, but it'll still go in w/o force. Twice, when going down an incline with the car in 1st gear at very very slow speeds, the car has even popped out of gear. Every gear is selectable/usable, the shifting is just not smooth. No grinding of the gears or other noise from the gearbox. The car has very low miles (only about 10k) and has not been abused in any way. So, I'm less inclined to think it's an internal transmission thing, at least I hope not. The symptoms have not worsened. Everything is connected under the shift boot in the cockpit. Everything is stock, no short shift kits. Is there any kind of adjustment that could be off, maybe at the cable joining the transmission itself? Or would a transmission fluid change be helpful? Any advice is appreciated.

James

If any of your gear changes feel 'rubbery', it is likely a slipped shifter cable. Either the adjusting nuts on the cables at the shift lever or a cable has slipped off the retainer bracket at the transmission end. You will have to remove parts to look at either of these. If the rear main seal was ever replaced, I would check the transmission end - especially since you already looked at the shifter end.

good luck - and maybe someone else has a better idea

- Ad Sach

Freely selecting gears if car is not moving while the clutch is depressed is not a good indicater for accessing the condition of the transmission. While this may work in a Nissan or Kia or other car it really means nothing other than either it's easy to do or difficult. The trans is designed to have gears selected with the input and output shafts in motion, even at different rpms, not one or the other stationary.

Shifting smoothly is something that is learned, and easier done if you have an idea what's happening. Try matching the rpms somewhat by letting the engine slow down a little on an up shift or reving a little on a down shift. Put a little pressure on the shifter and see if it just doesn't fall into place. Use neutral at a stop and give the PP and t/o bearing a break. Learning to drive a manual correctly will 10x your clutch life and enjoyment factor. Please don't take this offensively, just trying to help. Good Luck

I definitely have wanted to blame my own shifting technique. But I really don't know if it's all my fault. You see, shifting from 1-2 is just very strange. I can go from a stop in 1st gear until say 20 mph, then want to shift into 2nd with the clutch all the way down and no gas, and I'll have to wait until the tach drops down to idling basically before 2nd engages w/o difficulty. Please assess my shifting technique. How is one supposed to do the 1-2 shift smoothly. I really want to believe nothing is wrong with my transmission and that it's all me.

James

• 11 months later...

hey, sorry - first post and new boxster owner, very excited!

I am having a similar problem. It changes gear "fine" but not that smooth and not what i would expect, this mainly rears its head changing from first to second. I have been trying to resolve the issue myself and found something on another site about possible bad shifting being caused by a worn front engine mount????

Like i said, total newbie and i haven't explored this on my boxster yet.... Does anyone have any experience with this being the cause??

gristy

2.7 2000 Arctic Silver Boxster

No mods - as yet!