Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Why are Porsche's exhaust tips not removable?

Apparently I posted this in the wrong section a few minutes ago. Sorry about that...

Gang,

Does anyone know why the nut underneath the exhaust tip only allows forward/back adjustment only? If you haven't taken a close look, there is a stud welded into the exhaust pipe that goes through an oval slot in the tip. Loosening the nut allows adjustment, but not removal.

I'm thinking about putting a cutting disk on my Dremel and cutting out the back of the oval to make it a slot. Then I can loosen the nut, pull the tips off and polish them properly on my workbench. Anyone know of a reason I really shouldn't do that?

Thanks!

-Charles

Raleigh, NC

Apparently I posted this in the wrong section a few minutes ago. Sorry about that...

Gang,

Does anyone know why the nut underneath the exhaust tip only allows forward/back adjustment only? If you haven't taken a close look, there is a stud welded into the exhaust pipe that goes through an oval slot in the tip. Loosening the nut allows adjustment, but not removal.

I'm thinking about putting a cutting disk on my Dremel and cutting out the back of the oval to make it a slot. Then I can loosen the nut, pull the tips off and polish them properly on my workbench. Anyone know of a reason I really shouldn't do that?

Thanks!

-Charles

Raleigh, NC

See: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...st=entry40281

Yea, I saw that link but that means taking the entire section of pipe out. Removing or even loosening that clamp will mean re-aligning the tailpipes again. I just want to slide the tips off, polish them, and put them back.

I think it's going to come down to the Dremel and a cutting disk to notch out the oval in the tip....

-Charles

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried to loosen the nut and the bolt just broke off. Now I have a loose tip and the need to drill out the old bolt and install a new one. At least that way if the new bolt coms loose a bit I won't have to worry about the tip coming off at speed on the highway since the slot will still be intact.

There is a tip somewhere in the PSE install DIY about soaking the bolts with Liquid Wrench or WD40 before applying the mechanical wrench. About 30 mins of this application and the clamp bolts came off pretty easy.

It would help if you had an 11 mm box end wrench (ratchet even better) to remove the bolts, then the tips come off fairly easily. You may need a large flat screw driver to open the clamp some. Otherwise that is all you need. It also helps to raise the rear of the car, for me about 6 inches is enough to get in there.

If all you want to do is polish the tips, though, I would leave them in place and use a #0000 steel wool, with a good automotive steel or chrome polish. Pour the polish onto the wool and start rubbing it into the tips. The wool will remove the crap and work in the polish. I also do this 3-4 times a year. It makes a world of difference, they look like new.

Izzy

Edited by izzyandsue

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had mine off the re-polish. They won't just slide off if they have a few miles on them. You remove the nut first, then pull the bolt out from inside the tip. Spray some WD-40 around the inside of the exhaust tip. You should not have to wait 30 minutes for it to penetrate, it should work immediately. Tap each tip gentally a little backwards (toward the engine) to free them with a rubber mallet. Do not use a metal hammer or you could dent or scratch the tips. From here you should be able to pull them right off or it may require a light amount of tapping with the rubber mallet. As long as you have the inside of the tips lubricated (with WD-40 again) when you go to reinstall them, they will slide right back on.

I'm confused - the bolts on my tips are not welded - there is a square section that locates on the inner pipe, but remove the nut and the bolt comes out & the tip slides off ?

David

2002 C2

It's a carriage bolt. My 2002 is the same way.

Bill