Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Squeal

I have a MY00 2.7 with aftermarket 18" SSR GT2 rims.

Well I was driving in light city traffic today and out of nowhereI heard a soft scratching/squealing sound. Hmmm

Well the car has been sitting outside for a week +, and in Boston it has been raining like crazy fo 10days straight. I thought it might be just a bit or rust on the rotors so I used the brakes a bit to try to break them back in.

Well, it stopped. Then a couple of bocks later it came back BUT LOUD!!! It sounded like I had no brake pads and the pads where out of wack and rubbing. I hopped out and took a look.

There was nothing stuck, the rotor showed no rust and the pads look like the have plenty of life in them.

This noise stopped just as sudden as it started. I parked went about may way. Came out 2 hours later and it was back. I double checked to Ebrake (which is a bit loose) and pumped the brake a bit when the car was parked. The noise went away again. Aghhh

I have a car show to go to on Sunday! What is wrong with my ride! Please any ideas of were to look would help. I have a long (+6hours rally ride) this weekend.

Thanks guys

Not sure if you've resolved this, but this is what I'd do...

Identify where the sound is coming from, jack that side of the car up, pull the wheel off, and inspect closely the caliper and pad. Turn the rotor slowly by hand and see if you can feel/hear the rubbing (if it's the rear wheel, you have to have your handbrake off, the car in neutral and possibly both rear wheels in the air). If you can't see anything obvious, remove the caliper - it's just two bolts with 10mm HEX KEY (like an Allen key). I've never removed the calipers with the pads on, so I'm not sure if you can. I'd suggest you remove the pads first anyway:

* Remove the little pin on the retaining rod with a flat-head screwdriver

* Punch out the retaining rod

* Remove the spring clip (it just falls out after the retaining rod is out)

* Remove the pads (you may need to push them in a bit if they are too tight against the rotors - I use a small vice)

There are a few DIY guides on how to do the process, with pics, so do a forum search!

Thanks!

Shash

Thanks for your help everybody the "noise" just went away. I will take a better look when I put on the new zimmer rotors.

Thanks guys

Not sure if you've resolved this, but this is what I'd do...

Identify where the sound is coming from, jack that side of the car up, pull the wheel off, and inspect closely the caliper and pad. Turn the rotor slowly by hand and see if you can feel/hear the rubbing (if it's the rear wheel, you have to have your handbrake off, the car in neutral and possibly both rear wheels in the air). If you can't see anything obvious, remove the caliper - it's just two bolts with 10mm HEX KEY (like an Allen key). I've never removed the calipers with the pads on, so I'm not sure if you can. I'd suggest you remove the pads first anyway:

* Remove the little pin on the retaining rod with a flat-head screwdriver

* Punch out the retaining rod

* Remove the spring clip (it just falls out after the retaining rod is out)

* Remove the pads (you may need to push them in a bit if they are too tight against the rotors - I use a small vice)

There are a few DIY guides on how to do the process, with pics, so do a forum search!

Thanks!

Shash