Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Found a good price for an '01 996 jumped on it and sold my 986

Well, monday i checked my work email and saw a message that says 2001 Porsche Carrera 60Kmiles for sale,relocating to Singapore..wth? as soon as I opened it , the email was from a bigwig who knows i like Porsches, hey Alex have you seen this post? saw the price at $35,000.. looked up the guy in the company directory called him...told him if he can get it to Carlsen Porsche to inspect and see it can qualify as CPO,i'd buy the car... the owner agreed to sell to the dealer for $33K, wow.. then i sold the BoxsterS had paid the dealer to certify and do 60k mile maintenance thanks to Gary Quibelan at Carlsen.. he made it happened..pretty stock but I know i wont have problems modding this thing pics below :beer:

post-4187-1148544249_thumb.jpg

post-4187-1148544272_thumb.jpg

post-4187-1148544293_thumb.jpg

post-4187-1148544308_thumb.jpg

Hi Alex - I have a 98 Boxster (non S), and I've never driven a 996 or 997. I'm looking at the possibility to moving to a 996/997 Cabrio. Is it possible that you could give me your views on the differences between the 986 and the 996/997 generally in terms of feel, handling, pure enjoyment etc. Any comments would be appreciated.............

BTW - that's a hell of a car!

Thanks,

akpud.

Edited by akpud

Nice car Alex!

to Akpud:

I know this was not directed at me but, I've had a '99 Boxster for nearly 4 years that my wife drives and a Carrera Cab for nearly 3 that I drive. I'll try to make the comparason fair but they are not equals because the 986 is pretty basic and a Tip, whereas the 996 has full leather + lots of X option interior upgrades including Carbon, Sports seats, painted console, silver gauges, etc, Litronics, 18" wheels, PSE and 6 speed.

The 996 has much more room in the cabin and I can have the seat further back, helps with my 6' frame. Visability is much better from the side with top up. I perfer the handling of the 996 as it is more like a motorcycle and I roadraced them for 8 years. By this I mean once comitted in a turn you must stay on the gas. I like the shorter wheelbase of the 996 also. The extra gauges are a plus but really don't mean much. The extra power is certainly a plus and adds to the pleasure. The rear plastic window is much higher quality on the 996, clearer and more scratch resistant.

Aside from the options, power, and interior room the biggest difference is feel and handling. I can't say one is better than the other in this regard. The Boxster carries a stigma as being the entry level Porsche and it's only because the factory planned it that way. Things could have been reversed had they increased the power, materials quality and a few other things above that of the base 996.

Edited by nick49

Thanks Nick - this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I do plan to get out for a test drive - but both my bank and I are afraid of the consequences!

Anyone with further input would be appreciated!

akpud

Akpud,

I had a 99 986 for 3 years, and bought an 02 996 C2 Targa a few months ago. The 996 feels more solid than the 986 did, and I'm pleasently surprised how well the 996 handles in a sharp high speed turn; I was expecting more drift from the rear end due to the rear engine layout.

With a C2 Cab, you'll be loosing a rear trunk, which is something to consider. You can always use the back seats, but they're harder to access with the windstop in place. But at least you'll have two kiddie seats or four adult seats in an emergency!

Hi Alex - I have a 98 Boxster (non S), and I've never driven a 996 or 997. I'm looking at the possibility to moving to a 996/997 Cabrio. Is it possible that you could give me your views on the differences between the 986 and the 996/997 generally in terms of feel, handling, pure enjoyment etc. Any comments would be appreciated.............

BTW - that's a hell of a car!

Thanks,

akpud.

Hey akpud,

thanks.. actually i did the move because of the low price, very happy with the BoxsterS.. i agree with the

room meaning 4 seats, but remember the boxster have 2 trunks, the 996 cab only has one:) so that makes up for it.. the 911 has been around for awhile and if you drive a 996 cab, the chassy is very different than the boxster, it's more sturdy and dont hear any weird noise,lol, what i like is the low end torque on the 996 which the boxster lack and high speed cruising on a 996 is a breeze.. but for handling the boxster rule unless youre racing Fangio,LOL.. So if you have the funds to make the move go for it, it's a totally different level of fun... me I have 2 cars, so if this deal didnt come along, i'd be happy with the boxster.. now I have to sell my mod parts that i just bought...yikes!!

Nice car Alex!

thanks nick... actually it was nice to meet you at Sharkwerks..You have a nice cab!

so how's the pse, ohuh.. :D

• 5 years later...

Hello Alex,

I have just done the same chnage I have had a Boxtsre and upgraded to a Boxster S over10 years and absolutaly enjoyed both, Just recently saw a 2004 Carrera cabrolet with 28kb on it managed to tarde in my 2001 Boxster with 40km on it for this with $19k, the trade in being doiuble ehat the dealer offereme against a new one!!!!!!!

Now as to differences, I am still getting used to the 911 but apart from the points already mentioned the ride does seem to be higher on the road and as yet the cornering is different but I think its getting used to arear engine drive with the boxster mid engine it was not an issue at any speed seemingly. I drive with the top down all the time even in winter but initially I do find the 911 to be not as comfortable as the boxster and am looking at gettinga an overpriced windstop?.

Kilbyson

Hello Alex,

I have just done the same chnage I have had a Boxtsre and upgraded to a Boxster S over10 years and absolutaly enjoyed both, Just recently saw a 2004 Carrera cabrolet with 28kb on it managed to tarde in my 2001 Boxster with 40km on it for this with $19k, the trade in being doiuble ehat the dealer offereme against a new one!!!!!!!

Now as to differences, I am still getting used to the 911 but apart from the points already mentioned the ride does seem to be higher on the road and as yet the cornering is different but I think its getting used to arear engine drive with the boxster mid engine it was not an issue at any speed seemingly. I drive with the top down all the time even in winter but initially I do find the 911 to be not as comfortable as the boxster and am looking at gettinga an overpriced windstop?.

Kilbyson

Did you know that post was 6 years old?? Just sayin... :eek: