Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

installing PSE on 996C4

Hello,

I'm thinking of installing a Porsche Sport Exhaust on my 996C4 (Nov. 98). I have already found a lot of useful information on this forum, so I think it's going to be a DIY- job.

I have already found out that I have to remove the driver's side front seat and the driver's side doorsill/ sill cover. How do I do that?

Should anyone have any additional information which is useful, I'd be most grateful. For instance, is the PSE reliable. I think I have read somewhere that it is not possible to order the glossy switch to switch the system on and off. Is that true?

Thank you for your help.

jo996

(the Netherlands)

I have already found out that I have to remove the driver's side front seat and the driver's side doorsill/ sill cover. How do I do that?

I think I have read somewhere that it is not possible to order the glossy switch to switch the system on and off. Is that true?

The driver's seat rails are held down by 4 torx head bolts, one at each corner. You need a 12mm Torx socket to remove them. It is not necessary to remove the seat to route the wires, but I found it necessary (even though I am small) to remove it to fit myself under the dash to work a the relay carrier. I DID NOT unplug the seat wiring .... I just unbolted the seat rails and then leaned it backward.

I did not remove the door sill. Instead, I easily slipped the wires under the edge, between the black plastic and the carpet.

The PSE switch is not available in gloss as far as I could find. You can spray it with gloss clear coat, and it will look fine.

Be sure you do a search here for all the tips and hints. You particularly should refer to the DIY by Orient Express.

• Moderators

You don't have to remove the driver's seat unless you want to. If you do remove the seat, and unplug the seat electrical harness, then don't turn on the car until you have the seat plugged back in or you will trigger an airbag fault.

When I installed my PSE, the only reason I removed the seat is that I wanted to clean under there, and it was easier to lay on the floorboard to get to the relay support bracket.

The 2 little wires that go to the PSE vacuum switch in the engine compartment can be tucked under the rocker panel and B pillar panel without removing anything.

The guys are right. The cover around the trunk levers is the only part that I lifted a little to put the wires under. Have a look at the DIY for trunk lever exchange. If you tuck the wires under the panels they will slip under even more when you pull (straighten) them slightly. I didn't remove the seat though but then again I'm 20 years younger than Kim and OE is known for licking the underside of his car clean. :P

Just kidding - I almost broke my back because I didn't have the torx that was needed and everytime I see OrientExpress' car pictures I just envy him.

Thorsten

• Moderators
I almost broke my back because I didn't have the torx that was needed and everytime I see OrientExpress' car pictures I just envy him.

Thorsten

Thanks for the kind words. I'm German too, and it just makes sense to respect a German car with German cleanliness.

I recently installed the M030 ROW sports suspension on my Porsche, and here is a picture of that install.

newrearstrut.jpg

Keep in mind this chassis has almost 50K miles on it.