Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What have done to my Electrical system?

Here's what happened. Had my Porsche battery maintainer plugged into the cigarette lighter. Realized one of the windows was down. Put the key in the ignition and turned the ignition on but didn't start the engine. Put the window up. Turned the ignition off. Now I have a "System Fault - Take car to Workshop" message. Have driven the car 3 times and everything works fine. The idiot light will go out for 5 seconds or so but comes back on.

So what have I done and what do I do? Have a DE coming up next week and probably can't get to the dealer before then. Should I wait and see if it cancels out with a few more driving cycles? Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds? or borrow an OBD reader?

The car is an 05 987S. 12,000 miles and nary a problem till now.

Any advice appreciated.

Brad in Edmonton

Do the battery disconnect. Make sure you have your radio code (if needed).

Do our radios even have radio codes? Had a "used" PCM2.1 headunit installed w/o a radio code, works fine. Don't recall I got one even for the stock CDR-24.

Here's what happened. Had my Porsche battery maintainer plugged into the cigarette lighter. Realized one of the windows was down. Put the key in the ignition and turned the ignition on but didn't start the engine. Put the window up. Turned the ignition off. Now I have a "System Fault - Take car to Workshop" message. Have driven the car 3 times and everything works fine. The idiot light will go out for 5 seconds or so but comes back on.

So what have I done and what do I do? Have a DE coming up next week and probably can't get to the dealer before then. Should I wait and see if it cancels out with a few more driving cycles? Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds? or borrow an OBD reader?

The car is an 05 987S. 12,000 miles and nary a problem till now.

Any advice appreciated.

Brad in Edmonton

Did you happen to wax your car around the same time this happened? I waxed mine one day this spring and as I was waxing the front of the car the front hood popped open. I then got the workshop message next time I drove the car. I querried a few Boxster boards and was told the control module located in thre right front fender fried thus prompting the same error message that you got. I took the car to Norden and by golly that's what it was! They cleared the message and I drove the car for about a month. In fact I just had the module replaced last Friday. (By the way I live in Lloydminster and have an 05 Guards Red S). I think we have met somewhere at one of the events. Were you autocrossing this past weekend?

DaleE

Dale

Yes- That was me you met at Norden. You must be a mind reader! I had been detailing and waxing my car. No problems and then this message came up. Also the fault message goes out and I lose all my dash lighting when I turn on the signal lights. Turn off the signal and the fault light comes back up and the dash lights come back on. Talked with Gord and he said he'd replaced a few front control modules. I'm driving the car as is till I can get it in.

AX is going well the R-compound tires make a big difference. Going for a DE at Race City in Calgary this Friday.

Take care.

Brad Friedrick