Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible top prblem

hi guys, i need some major help here. my 2000 boxster s' convertible top just stopped working out of the blue two days ago. no signs of any trouble before. i have already done a search on such topics and didn't find the exact match to my problem. the problem i am having is when i unlatch the lock, the windows will drop like normal but nothing else happens. no sound, no noise, nothing. i thought this may be as simple as just a blown fuse but i think the power windows are also using the same fuse as well. so i didn't think i am that lucky. and if it is the motor, is this something i can buy the parts and replace it myself? keep in mind, i am in no way a very technical or a very knowledgeable person when it comes to fixing cars, but i am learning and trying. if i have overlooked some threads that has already posted, please help directing me to them. :(

1st guess is bad hand brake micro switch

+1

Does your "Park" light on the dash come on when you pull up on the parking brake?

If not then check out these threads from the rennlist forum:

"Top Wont Go Down"

and

"Hmmm... Top Button dead"

yes the parking light does comes on. everything seems fine the way it should when my top does work. that's why i am very puzzled.

• Moderators

Next is to rule out the latch microswitch and top relay control unit.

Key on, hand brake up, unlatched. Stick your finger in the hole for the latch. Press your finger in and out a bunch of times to operate the switch (there are actually 2 switches) while you operate the top dash switch at the same time.

Next, pull the top relay and see if it has a black dot on the bottom of the relay.

hi guys, i am such an idiot. no, the parking light didn't come on when i pull the hand brake. i don't know what was i looking.

so does this mean i have a bad switch related to the hand brake? can i buy this switch from a local car parts store or do i have to go to the dealership? is this some thing i can do myself?

thank you guys for helping.

Yes you can get the switch from a dealership.

I couldn't figure out how to get the center console off but you can see the switch if you look in there... I got lucky and turns out the connection was just loose on mine. Re-seated (poked) it and it worked again. Good Luck!

I couldn't figure out how to get the center console off but you can see the switch if you look in there... I got lucky and turns out the connection was just loose on mine. Re-seated (poked) it and it worked again. Good Luck!

thank you for your help. i'll call the dealership tomorrow. i guess i'll poke around too to figure out how to get it off.

what does the switch looks like? does anyone has any picture of it?

• 4 months later...

if you have not yet found how to remove the center console here is a link:

Center console removal (part of B&M SSK install)

Also similar instructions here:

official B&M SSK install

Both set are for the samething but with different pictures which never hurt