Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CD Changer Installation on MY2003 C2

Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can install the 6 CD changer on MY 2003 C2?

I was going to have the dealer install it, but after waiting 4 hours for my car, I was informed that they didn't how to do it. I had a estimate of 2 hours to install the CD,

but the dealer said it will take them 5-6 hours, since they never done a MOST installation before.

I know that I can do it in a couple of hours...no big deal. The only thing I don't have is a PST2 to code the changer. Any ideas of how to get the changer coded, other than going back to the dealer?

Many thanks!

• Moderators

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...t=15entry2347

We are going to do this on Raman's 2003 Boxster if he did not do it already. We spent several hours trying to figure out how to hook up all the fiber optic cables. There is not a real wiring diagram.

We will be having a work on cars day soon, most likely in San Jose, so sign up if you are interested. I'll try to get a car with a factory installed changer so we can copy the fiber optic hookup.

Only a dealer can code the changer with their PST2. I trust you have the CDC-4 changer and the correct set of cables. Jeff

Thanks, Jeff

Yes, I do have the right hardware.

P/N 000-044-900-72 CDC-4 Changer and installation hardware

P/N 996-622-706-00 Fiber optic cable kit radio/PCM with CD changer for C2/C4, not amplifier, not telephone

I may take you up on your offer for cars day. Do you know anybody who has access to a PST2?

OK. I've read all the stuff I can find. About 996's, 986's, and some stuff that Brandywine faxed me from Porsche. It is very cryptic at best. My MOST fiber connection kit came with a cable that already has 3 connections built into it. Kinda like a T. I can see the daisy chain logic built into this T. There is a connection behind the brake booster that comes from the Radio. I can plug my T in the radio connection at the booster, the green marked end into the amp and the blue marked end into the changer and nothing happens. The radio and amp no longer communicate. There's a lot of clicking at the amp but nothing else. Does the changer have to have power for this combo to at least work like it did originally? Hook it back up as stock, and everything functions. Where do I get power for the amp? Can I tap into the wires powering the amp for the changer? I have three wires with the wiring harness for the amp and no schematic to show which is which. They are numbered 1,2,and 3. That's it. I figured one is 12V+, 1 ground, and 1 some sort of "turn on" signal. Is there a standard wiring scheme for Porsche for example ground is always brown, 12V+ is always ??, etc. ? Can I use any of the feeds for the amp?

This is a fairly frustrating effort. I stopped, put everything back together, and punted. I want to try again but need more info.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dwayne

• Moderators

I do but he works at a dealer and I do not want to commit for a free turn on for others until I ask. He is the one who has been helping Raman and I.

The part number you gave for the fiber optic is the same as the one Raman has. He has the external amp/HiFi option.

dwaynemosley

I am going through the same frustrations as you. Even the dealerships don't know how to install.

If if you could figure out the hardware installation, you will need a PST2 to code the changer. The dealer is the only one that has a PST2 to reconfigure your firmware.

Hi Loren,

Thanks for the wiring diagram. I have a couple of questions:

1. Where exactly do the fiber optic connection from the CD changer terminate? Do they plug into the radio, or is there a fiber optic junction box?

2. The 3 copper wires from the CD changer are +12V rd/gn, grnd. brn, and wake up diagnostic, wh/rd. Where do these connections terminate?

3. Is there anyway to program the Cd changer without the use of a PST2?

many thanks

Edited by mffarrell

dwaynemosley

You raise some very good questions. I would gladly pay the dealer a reasonable fee to install my CD, but I am not confident that they know what they are doing.

I have quotes for 4-5 hours at $125/hr., but it is not a fixed quote so it might be 8 hours.

There is no doubt that I can install the CD in 2 hours if I had the proper documentation. This is not brain surgery. :-)

Also, I spoke to Justin at brandywine, and he said that their shop charges $200 for the install.

BTW, I believe that you do have the right FO cable.

Edited by mffarrell

The part number I have that was sent to me by Brandywine Porsche is 996.622.705.00. I have an '03 Bose system with external amp. The parts in the box are a pre-made fiber harness "T" that appears to follow daisy chain logic. (Hard to check it with a DVM :) ) I also have several other long pieces of fiber, several empty connectors, a black plastic insulator pipe, and a mounting arm.

I know that I will ultimately need to have the dealer code the changer for it to actually function in my system. What I'm wondering is: does it require the changer to be coded or even powered up just to pass the laser signal through it and back to the amp?

The T that I have connects to the radio at the connector behind the brake booster (which is where the amp is connected now on a short piece of fiber), then one fiber line goes straight through the T to the changer. The return starts at the changer back to the amp connector and then restarts back to the original connector behind the booster.

Hooking this fiber into my system results in my amp just clicking. It doesn't seem to matter which item I hook up first or last in the daisy chain. The changer is not powered. I'm not sure where to get the power or turn on signal. The power harness for the changer is 3 wires. Which is which, does anyone know?

I've seen the info on slitting the rubber grommet behind the battery to run the wires into the fuse block, but doesn't the amp have a large enough circuit/wiring harness to be able to carry the changer as well? There should also be some kind of trigger wire there to turn on the devices. Does anyone know which wires these are?

Without a schematic of the color coding of the wires, I'm at a standstill. I hope I have the correct MOST fiber harness.

Maybe we'll all figure this thing out together.

Dwayne

The 3 copper wires from the CD changer are +12V rd/gn, (grnd.), brn, and (wake up diagnostics), wh/rd.

I have just a plain AM/FM/CD CDR23 unit in my car. I haven't figured out where the FO terminate. I would imagine there is a FO junction box, somewhere.

I believe that the CD player has to be programed before it wakes up to ride the light!

You may want to check Raman's P/N again. The FO cable that I have is for NO Amp, NO telephone, C2 P/N 996-622-706-00

The P/N for the external amp, no telephone, C2 is P/N 996-622-705-00

When I had my CD changer installed they used part number 996-622-705-00. This is for a C2, Bose, no telephone. It looks like Raman has the wrong part number, unless the Boxster part numbers are different.

Edited by Poursha

dwaynemosley

You raise some very good questions. I would gladly pay the dealer a reasonable fee to install my CD, but I am not confident that they know what they are doing.

I have quotes for 4-5 hours at $125/hr., but it is not a fixed quote so it might be 8 hours.

There is no doubt that I can install the CD in 2 hours if I had the proper documentation. This is not brain surgery. :-)

Also, I spoke to Justin at brandywine, and he said that their shop charges $200 for the install.

BTW, I believe that you do have the right FO cable.

FWIW, I paid $350 for the CD changer install at Carlsen. Apparently they've done a bunch of these, and clearly know how to do it. It's definitely not brain surgery, but then again, our brains don't use the MOST bus (yet! :D ).

Porscha...thanks

I may end up taking atrip across the Bay to carlsen. I have tried 2 dealerships in the east bay, but they don't know what they are doing.

There is a junction box/connection on a hanger located just behind the brake booster on the right side if you're facing it. This will accept the T fiber assembly, and is where the short piece of fiber from the amp is currently attached. If the changer doesn't "wake up" until it's coded, then I'll reassemble everything and hook it to an inline fuse and to the battery to see if just powering up the changer will work. Several questions I still have are:

Can the power and "turn on" signals be scavenged from the amp? If not, where should these type of accessories get power from? It would be great to get a switched 12V+ without having to cut the rubber grommet. With all of the wires inside the "weather sealed" area of the trunk, surely there is a switched 12V+ there somewhere. Without taking the car apart again, does the "turn on" signal to the amp using the same wire color coding as the harness for the changer? How about the 12V+? I'm positive I can get a ground somewhere inside the weather sealed area. Finally, if I have to pull the changer's wiring harness into the car, how do I know where to acquire 12V+ there?

We are very close on this. BTW, my dealer wants 3 hours labor to do this. I'd like to knock this down to the minimal charge for coding the changer into the system. Plus, we really should know how all this works. There will be others behind us trying to accomplish this same thing.

Regards,

Dwayne

• Admin
Hi Loren,

Thanks for the wiring diagram. I have a couple of questions:

1. Where exactly do the fiber optic connection from the CD changer terminate? Do they plug into the radio, or is there a fiber optic junction box?

2. The 3 copper wires from the CD changer are +12V rd/gn, grnd. brn, and wake up diagnostic, wh/rd. Where do these connections terminate?

3. Is there anyway to program the Cd changer without the use of a PST2?

many thanks

Here is the Fiber Optic only layout - front of the car is to the left.

The PDF version is here (about 1.5 MB - ignore the RHD as both LHD and RHD are the same)

my03_fiber_connections.jpg

• Moderators

I will have to check with Raman to see if he has this figured out. He spoke to our friend and shop foreman at our local dealer.

Hooking up a changer can't be that hard - but some DIYer has to be the first. When I spoke to Raman last month he confirmed he located the "junction box" near the booster. As you know the power cable has 3 wires. Talking to Raman he thought it went from the changer to the back of the radio head. I do not have a CDC-4 to look at. I remember looking at the power cable and thought it was strange in that it only had a connector on one end.

When you look at the parts list for the various 996 fiber optic cables there is a listing of 2 TSBs. Same is true for the Boxster. I have been trying to get these TSBs for 2 months without any luck.

This is the power cable that I assume the rest of you have.

I will have to check with Raman to see if he has this figured out.  He spoke to our friend and shop foreman at our local dealer. 

Hooking up a changer can't be that hard - but some DIYer has to be the first.  When I spoke to Raman last month he confirmed he located the "junction box" near the booster.  As you know the power cable has 3 wires.  Talking to Raman he thought it went from the changer to the back of the radio head.  I do not have a CDC-4 to look at.  I remember looking at the power cable and thought it was strange in that it only had a connector on one end.

When you look at the parts list for the various 996 fiber optic cables there is a listing of 2 TSBs.  Same is true for the Boxster.  I have been trying to get these TSBs for 2 months without any luck.

This is the power cable that I assume the rest of you have.

That is the power cable I have. It only has a connector on one end which I assume is for the changer.

Using the post from mffarrell "The 3 copper wires from the CD changer are +12V rd/gn, (grnd.), brn, and (wake up diagnostics), wh/rd.", I think I'm going to attempt this once again to see what happens. Since there is a "wake up" wire, I think I can use unswitched 12V from anywhere inside the trunk area for power and ground it wherever I can find a grounding point. If there is a wh/rd wire going to the amp, I'll tap into this for the "wake up" signal.

If I can get the changer powered up using that wiring info, and it'll pass the laser through the FO then I'll take it to see if they can code it into the MOST system.

Dwayne

Let me know if your wiring works. I would think that the +12V lead could connect to another fuseable/switched +12V lead.

The more I think about it the +12V lead from the CD changer should probably connect to a fuseable/switched +12V position on the fuse block. I am not sure how much current draw the CD changer has.