Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Satellite radio options

I'm thinking about getting a satellite radio receiver. I don't really want to make it a premanent fixture in my Boxster but I don't want a hokey install either. I see they now have portable units and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or any other type of removable units.

Can anyone share what they have done?

Thanks,

Jon

XMs' add on unit is very easy to install using cassette player or using integrated remote that runs' through you FM radio on various stations not picking up current FM broadcasts, such as in my area 88.3. It comes with a receiver holder that attaches easily to your air vents, or you can velcro it to any vertical surface. Routing the antenna cable is easy as is the power connect (cigarette lighter). Using the FM modulator option eliminates the cassette adapter and it's wire. The sound quality and commercial free stations are choice.

Hope this helps, Al.

I'm thinking about getting a satellite radio receiver. I don't really want to make it a premanent fixture in my Boxster but I don't want a hokey install either. I see they now have portable units and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or any other type of removable units.

Can anyone share what they have done?

Thanks,

Jon

I installed a TERK XM Commander in my '06 987S. No drilling..no holes. Works well..

BobR

SIRIUS makes several units that are a seamless install in the car and use a suction cup that stick to the windshield for mounting. This truly is the most effective "removable" type of system as you will not have to drill your mounting bracket into the dash or use any type of adhesive on the dash/console.The unit gets power from your cigarette lighter and transmits the audio signal to your existing stereo via a selectable FM channel (over 100 to pick from to insure there are no interference issues). It is a very easy DIY install and should take no more than 30min to acomplish. Just my two cents but any way you go Satellite Radio is a godsend that makes the driving experience that much greater......

I actually have the Delphi Roady2 XM Radio and mounted it using the existing Proclip mount for my iPod. To do this, I used the swivel mount that came with the Roady2 and stuck heavy duty velcro that you can buy from Home Depot on the mount and other half on the back of the Proclip swivel mount.

http://www.proclipusa.com (I ordered the 3rd generation 20GB iPod swivel mount). You also need to order the mount that's used for our 986/996 center consoles.

Instead of just placing the XM radio antenna on the dash, I wanted a cleaner look, without all the wires hanging all over the dash. I installed the XM radio antenna that comes with Roady2, right underneath the front dash IR sensor cover and routed the wire down the center console. As for power, I decided to buy another cigarette lighter socket and mount it to the side of the center console. I found that the cigarette lighter socket on our front console can be pretty loose for our power plugs (V1, iPod, Roady and etc..) especially on twisty roads.

The nice thing about the Roady2 is that I can use it in multiple vehicles and the Proclip mount can be used for both the iPod and Roady2.

- Ray W.

I actually have the Delphi Roady2 XM Radio and mounted it using the existing Proclip mount for my iPod. To do this, I used the swivel mount that came with the Roady2 and stuck heavy duty velcro that you can buy from Home Depot on the mount and other half on the back of the Proclip swivel mount.

http://www.proclipusa.com (I ordered the 3rd generation 20GB iPod swivel mount). You also need to order the mount that's used for our 986/996 center consoles.

Instead of just placing the XM radio antenna on the dash, I wanted a cleaner look, without all the wires hanging all over the dash. I installed the XM radio antenna that comes with Roady2, right underneath the front dash IR sensor cover and routed the wire down the center console. As for power, I decided to buy another cigarette lighter socket and mount it to the side of the center console. I found that the cigarette lighter socket on our front console can be pretty loose for our power plugs (V1, iPod, Roady and etc..) especially on twisty roads.

The nice thing about the Roady2 is that I can use it in multiple vehicles and the Proclip mount can be used for both the iPod and Roady2.

- Ray W.

Oh, I forgot one important item. I'm using the aux port on my CDR 220 for the best sound clarity and noise filter from Radio Shack.

post-554-1150873210.jpg post-554-1150873443_thumb.jpg

post-554-1150874040_thumb.jpg post-554-1150874107_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought and installed a Kenwood 9000HDS from Crutchfield. It's a AM/FM HD receiver, CD player with a built-in Sirius tuner. It was only $299 (after rebate) and came with a $30 Sirius gift card. It's the only all-in-one unit I could find.