Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire replacement -- Sumi HTR ZII, any pro and con?

Hi,

It's time for a new set of tires. After reviewing previous threads and the driving condition I have, probably will go for Sumi HTR ZII (not decided yet, just compare price and value). I live in So. Cal with MY03 C2 coupe, never go to track before, daily street drive. Anyone has a bad experience about it? Or any better tire suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Pesonally I like the michelan sports, but I really think it is a matter of personal prefrence. Check out tirerack.com for som good prices though. I got some sports from them, but was very tempted to buy some bridgestones. They are a bargain. The Hoosier is very affordable, but I counldn't find anyone who had experience with them. Some one told me they run hoosier on nascar, but that was a good reason not to buy in my opinion. No body want redneck tires.

Hi,

It's time for a new set of tires. After reviewing previous threads and the driving condition I have, probably will go for Sumi HTR ZII (not decided yet, just compare price and value). I live in So. Cal with MY03 C2 coupe, never go to track before, daily street drive. Anyone has a bad experience about it? Or any better tire suggestion? Thanks in advance.

From Tool Pants influence we have had this tire on an 02 Boxster S for about 6 months here in Phoenix. It is soft enough for very good traction in the dry and the tread looks to be good in the wet too. They are quiet and better than the TOYO they replaced. We upsized the fronts to 225 and get better handling at the autocrosses and PCA DE track. Also, we used Tire Rack and are pleased with their service and prices.

Next for us will be Michelin for the track -- if you can spare the dime I would suggest you go to them now.

Ed

my M5 came with it when I bought it. I took it off and tried to give it away. No one wants it. I could drive with it as the TC stays on when ever I accelerate. I have Mich PS2 now. Love them. If you have the money, that's the only way to go. I could do doghnuts with the Conti on my C4S but can't on the PS2. That's traction.

You may also want to look at FUSION ZR1. I took the plunge late last year and I like them a lot. They also seem to have some thread that indicated a good all weather type performance and they showed that to be true over the last 6 months here in the Bay area.

They also have a very thick bead along the outside edge so you have less chance of getting curb rash.

I put on ( 18 inch) 265 but I would go up to 285 next time because the tire looks somewhat narrower than for instance the Conti's I took off. All in all, a happy camper for very little money compared with anything else out there. It took about 500 miles before they were run in ie lost their new-ness slippery feeling :-)

Note , my C2 it's a daily driver with 50K miles on the clock.

What rim size?

18"

now it has rear=285/30ZR18, front =225/40ZR18.

I'm shopping too and I wish I could get the Michelin PS2 but they are not made in 285/30/18. There are not too many choices in a N rated tire in this size. PZero Rosso, ContiSport 2, Michelin Sport (old style). I have the Rossos now and I'll probably go with the contis next just for a change. The Rossos have been good and they're lightweight compared to most other tires in this size. The Contis are the same weight and are less expensive and are Porsche spec. I'll be replacing all 4 tires this time. I've read too many negative reviews of the bargain tires online, i.e. Sumi's, Hankooks.

Pro: Inexpensive, reasonable traction, decent wear

Con: You can get better traction if you're willing to pay more.

I've run them on previous cars making more power than my Porsche and liked them quite a bit. A few years a go I switched to Yokohama EVS100's and have preferred those to the Sumi's for only a couple of dollars more.

• 9 months later...
Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position is another good option.

I have heard the RE050A is not recommended & is too heavy.

Not my experience. I've been very pleased with mine so far. When I was shopping, I used TireRack's online data to check relative weights, as well as performance data. One of my concerns was to balance the rear replacement tires with the front S-03's.

Porschefan, I have a pair of Yokohama Advans 295/23 18R with around 150 miles on them for sale. They came off a set of Carrera III wheels and were a little too wide for my C2 so I downsized to 275/35. I paid $650 for the replacements at Discount Tire. You can have these for $300 for the pair. I'm in San Diego and I noticed you're in SoCal.

Moderators, please delete this message if I'm breaking any kind of rules.

Thanks!

Here are some pics.

post-17910-1177345062_thumb.jpg

post-17910-1177345168_thumb.jpg

post-17910-1177345239_thumb.jpg

post-17910-1177345278_thumb.jpg

Edited by Winstondry