Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sat radio antenna placement

I'm looking for the best place to put the antenna for the XM radio I am about to install. I popped the cover off the IR sensor between the defroster ducts. It looks like there is plenty of room for the antenna. but I'm not sure how to fish the cable down into the console near the CDR-220. Has anyone done this or perhaps installed a satnav antenna in this location that can help me? If it is relavent the car is an '00 non-S. Any tips would be appreciated. I would also be interested in hearing opinions on this location from a performance standpoint.

Thanks...

Jon

I'm looking for the best place to put the antenna for the XM radio I am about to install. I popped the cover off the IR sensor between the defroster ducts. It looks like there is plenty of room for the antenna. but I'm not sure how to fish the cable down into the console near the CDR-220. Has anyone done this or perhaps installed a satnav antenna in this location that can help me? If it is relavent the car is an '00 non-S. Any tips would be appreciated. I would also be interested in hearing opinions on this location from a performance standpoint.

Thanks...

Jon

you could fish through left or right side wing (next to IR sensor box) and drop the cable behind airbag area.

then you have to work under the dash and route through radio... it's simple job, but takes patient.

good luck.

I have this crazy idea, I doubt it has been done before. For XM or GPS antenna pods, how about finding a cranny in between the canvas top and the interior liner? Somewhere toward the latch would ensure that the antenna wouldn't go under the tonneau and would always have a clean signal. All you'd have to worry about is the routing of the wires, and epoxying or bolting a bracket inside the mechanism.

I have this crazy idea, I doubt it has been done before. For XM or GPS antenna pods, how about finding a cranny in between the canvas top and the interior liner? Somewhere toward the latch would ensure that the antenna wouldn't go under the tonneau and would always have a clean signal. All you'd have to worry about is the routing of the wires, and epoxying or bolting a bracket inside the mechanism.

ummm... not bad.. but one problem.. steel beam structure will block XM/GPS signals.

Wiring will be similar to V1 install unless you put XM/GPS antenna right above back mirror.

You can try.. and let me know.

I ran for a while with a GPS mounted by the cabin filter in the front trunk. With the hood open you can easily reach under and stick it to the underside of the plastic piece that surrouds the wipers. There is a hole behind the battery where you can route the cable in to the car.

Chris.

Jon-

I installed my XM antenna there as well (under dash alarm cover). Since there was something like 25' of antenna cable, I just tucked it in the crevice between the windshield and dash/defroster trim across the passenger side of vehicle. Continued to follow crevice to the passenger door jam and down to under side of dash. There was still plenty left over so I just zip tied the excess behind the foam panel in passenger footwell. The antenna works pretty well there and all the wires are hidden. Good luck!

I have my Sirius antenna instsalled above the cabin filter, as high as possible in the plastic indentation, and my results are mixed

depending on the direction you're traveling you can have either perfect or horrible reception, the frame around the windsheild blocks a the signal a lot more than I'm happy with but I've got to guess this will depend on where you are in the world :)

me being in the north east my signal is terrible when I'm traveling in a south-east, or eastbound road

I've also been toying with the idea of finding a nook in the roof to place it, in between the headliner and canvas may be a pretty good spot