Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'03 headlights onto early 996

If I wanted to fit the later headlights onto my early 996 would the upgrade just involve new light pods and bumper? (I fear not....)

...then I would have to work out how upgrade the cupholders and glove box... then the extra 200cc... then... :D

mark

hi Mark,

unfortunatly it is more than that!

you will need to get the 2 new front fender too and >100 small installation parts but hey it looks great afterwards!

db_Porme01_9961.jpg

with 4S/TT back bumper w/ dual tail-pipes on a slimbody 996

db_Porme03_9961.jpg

cheers,

Tony

Edited by alter_schwede

Tony,

I am in the process of rebuilding my 99 996 race car so I need to replace both fenders, both lights and the front bumper cover anyway. I've thought about updating it to post 02. Can you give me any more specifics on the >100 little pieces. Thanks, Jim

Jim,

You'd really need to sit down with a PET CD to get the complete list but the body shop that is doing the updates for your car should be able to figure it out. Here's a summary based on a quick look I just did:

- headlights - everything is different between the model years. There's 23 parts here for the 02+ non-Xenon lights

- fender - in addition to the fenders, the fuel filler door is different and there is a little piece called a protective foil that attaches to the headlight opening

- bumper - in addition to the cover, the air inlet that fits inside of the cover and all the attachment brackets (3) are different

- hood - there is a trim piece that covers up the bumper cover at the front that is different

Probably about 35 parts all total.

Karl

I didnt realise that I would need to new fenders (we call them "wings" here in the UK; mainly because on old Uk cars the winter salting would rust them so much they would flap around when driving...) Perhaps I will wait for the whole hog and to do the 997 upgrade?

Karl, I'm doing the work myself so it's just a matter of getting the right parts and bolting them together. I'll have to take a closer look at the parts list. There maybe some parts I don't really need on a track car. On the other hand I might just stick with the old look. No sense tipping off the other guys in C to the 3.6L X51 I'll have lurking in the back. Thanks for your help.

Plus when you go to sell the car, the buyer is going to wonder why an early 996 has had such an extensive upgrade to front end and assume it's been wrecked. So it will probably cost you some gried in terms of resale value.

Karl

Plus when you go to sell the car, the buyer is going to wonder why an early 996 has had such an extensive upgrade to front end and assume it's been wrecked. So it will probably cost you some gried in terms of resale value.

Karl

Well, you can simply keep the original parts, so you can prove that the car was in good shape when you updated to the 03-look. That's the way I did it. ;)

hey Martin,

that's your car! (still)

hope you didn't mind that I post the great pics on this forum?

ps. and I got already a proposal from Mr. Striening from speedART, and I need to find me a pair of tail-pipes from 4S to calculate the complete price!

cheers,

Tony

hey Martin,

that's your car! (still)

hope you didn't mind that I post the great pics on this forum?

ps. and I got already a proposal from Mr. Striening from speedART, and I need to find me a pair of tail-pipes from 4S to calculate the complete price!

cheers,

Tony

Hey Tony... :)

I will definitely keep my Carrera. I found out that I am too deep in love with that car to switch to a C4... ;)

However the car on the pictures above is not my 996, but Gerd's (Porme996). It's just accidentally exactly styled like my car, which is a few lines above Gerd's Carrera in the Elfer-Club gallery.

Also I recently added a couple of other cosmetic upgrades to my car: I installed RUF sideskirts, a silver hood crest and I am going to mount a C4S reflector strip this week. I will post some pictures of the car as soon as the reflector strip is installed (conversion is complete then).

About speedART: I got my C4S tail pipes from speedART, too. But I don't remember the price I paid for them. So you may want to ask Mr. Striening for a price qoute on these, too. You can get pretty much everything from speedART and in most cases it's also a little cheaper than it would be, if you would buy it at a "Porsche Zentrum".

Anyway, see you at Elfer-Club... ;)

• 1 month later...

hey there,

well a rough cost would be:

front = ca. 4500,- euro

sideskirts = ca. 1000,- euro

back = ca. 2000,- euro

all cost are count w/o installation, all the parts can be ordered at Carnewal.com and Gert is really consultant.

of course there are tuners like TechArt, Gemballa, FVD and others which love to give you a hand but then depends if you like the original PU or GFK parts.

if you are not in a hurry, another great source is eBay, you could gether most of parts there.

best of luck :thumbup: .

cheers,

Tony