Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

key remote not working on 996 C4

I'm having trouble with my key remote operating my locks on my 1999, 996 C4. I've searched this topic, but cannot find a solution that works so I am hoping for some helpful ideas.

My remote just stopped working one day and it hasn't worked since. I have tried the following:

-installed new battery. LED works, but doesn't operate door locks.

-reversed battery polarity. Still didn't work

-pressed button while unlocking door. Nothing.

-unlocked door manually, then pressed remote button. No luck.

-turned on ignition, turned off and immediately tried using remote. Nada.

I bought a Durametric tester and I get alarm fault codes 33 (faulty compartment monitoring sensor) and 42 (incorrect key or transponder). Every time I test I get these and only these fault codes. Also, the frequency of these codes is always 1.

My key works fine to manually lock and unlock my doors. It also starts the car. My alarm also seems to be working fine. I just want to be lazy and operate my door locks with my remote button. I am at my wit's end trying to make my remote key work again. I was thinking about checking the fuse in the alarm system under my seat, but I don't want to go to the trouble of removing my seat if that's not a possible fix.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions. This is my first post and I really appreciate your help.

Collin

I'm having trouble with my key remote operating my locks on my 1999, 996 C4. I've searched this topic, but cannot find a solution that works so I am hoping for some helpful ideas.

My remote just stopped working one day and it hasn't worked since. I have tried the following:

-installed new battery. LED works, but doesn't operate door locks.

-reversed battery polarity. Still didn't work

-pressed button while unlocking door. Nothing.

-unlocked door manually, then pressed remote button. No luck.

-turned on ignition, turned off and immediately tried using remote. Nada.

I bought a Durametric tester and I get alarm fault codes 33 (faulty compartment monitoring sensor) and 42 (incorrect key or transponder). Every time I test I get these and only these fault codes. Also, the frequency of these codes is always 1.

My key works fine to manually lock and unlock my doors. It also starts the car. My alarm also seems to be working fine. I just want to be lazy and operate my door locks with my remote button. I am at my wit's end trying to make my remote key work again. I was thinking about checking the fuse in the alarm system under my seat, but I don't want to go to the trouble of removing my seat if that's not a possible fix.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions. This is my first post and I really appreciate your help.

Collin

you might need a new head unit for the key, or possibly the key will need to be "reprogrammed" for the car, along with all other keys. for reprogramming you need to see a dealer, but for a new "head" call Jeff Clark at Sunset Imports. good luck....

Thanks for the fast reply. Do you think I should try the dealer reprogramming option first? How much is a reasonable charge for this?

I'm really curious why the remote would suddenly stop working like it did. Does anyone know why this would happen? I didn't drop the key and as far as I know it wasn't exposed to any strange energy fields other than what's in my pocket! :)

I had a similar issue with one of my keys and had to buy a new head. Dealer programming was fairly reasonable at $65. I have read elsewhere on this board that they key can "go to sleep" if not used for an extended period of time, but I would think that the steps you took should have corrected the issue if that was the case.

I thought maybe it was asleep, too and was disappointed when all of my efforts to wake it failed.

What is a key "head" and where do I buy one? Is there a way to tell if my head is faulty? I did test my remote at a test station in an auto parts store and the tester said it was communicating fine. Can the head need replacing even when it is tested as sending a signal or does it sound like it needs to be reprogrammed?

Thanks!

Collin

The head is the black part with the Porsche logo and PCB transponder inside, you can buy it from Sunset Direct or your local dealer (probably more expensive than Sunset). You can "transplant" your key blade from your old key.

Edited by tanny02996

Sorry, dont know. Perhaps someone else on the board knows for certain. I am not sure if a dealer can (or would be willing to) assess this before charging for the programming. In my case, I had damaged the head so I knew i needed a new one anyway.

• Admin

Thanks again. Is there a way to tell if the key head is defective without buying and programming a new one first?

A good shop (or dealer) will try to reprogram your old key first and if that does not work you buy a new key (or have one on hand).

Well I just took my 2002 C4S out of storage and similar issue.

I went for service at the dealer and they checked that issue but were not able to fix it for sure. They tested both keys and they seem to be communicating. they told me keys don't need to be reprogrammed. They found the following error message 60 Central locking limit position - Lock not reach.

They told me it could be the alarm module... but I doubt as the alarm seems to be working...

Would anyone have an idea?

I would like to know for sure because module is something like 450 + install... maybe a good DYI, has anyone done it?

Thanks

• Admin

I went for service at the dealer and they checked that issue but were not able to fix it for sure. They tested both keys and they seem to be communicating. they told me keys don't need to be reprogrammed. They found the following error message 60 Central locking limit position - Lock not reach.

They told me it could be the alarm module... but I doubt as the alarm seems to be working...

I would like to know for sure because module is something like 450 + install... maybe a good DYI, has anyone done it?

Thanks

Have you tried locking and unlocking the door using the metal key?

That should reset the remote functions.

Thanks

Have you tried locking and unlocking the door using the metal key?

That should reset the remote functions.

Yes I tried... that is the only way to open... then if I wait too long before I put the key in the ignition, the alarm goes off (might be embarrassing!)...

I need to do some test with both key, maybe change the battery or at least remove them and put them back...

Thanks

Have you tried to disconnect the battery; place the key 30 feet or more far from the car; and then plug the battery and try the remote? This has worked for me.

Edited by CabC2

If I disconnect the battery will I need to enter my radio code for it to work? Is there anything else to look out for when the battery is disconnected?

Thanks for this new suggestion. I'll try anything at this point.

Collin

Have you tried to disconnect the battery; place the key 30 feet or more far from the car; and then plug the battery and try the remote? This has worked for me.

No luck for me... just tried but did not get any result...

Both keys are flashing when I press the button but it does not do anything... When you talk about reprogramming the key, what does it do? the dealer told me there was no need to do that because it was emitting a signal... I am wondering if they really know and I don't want them to tear the car appart (and my wallet) to finally say, it was just the key that needed to be reprogrammed...

Thanks for your help!

I had the exact same problem...

It was a broken solder joint.

Take your key head apart and pull the electronics out.

Look VERY closely at the left and right sides of the momentary contact switch where they are soldered to the PCB.

One side on mine was cracked clean through.

After soldering, it works like a champ.

Look VERY closely at the left and right sides of the momentary contact switch where they are soldered to the PCB.

Was your little red light on the remote head flashing anyway when you pressed the button down (before you soldered it)?

Regards, Maurice.

Was your little red light on the remote head flashing anyway when you pressed the button down (before you soldered it)?

Regards, Maurice.

Yes. That is what made me so mad about it.

I had only had the car for 2 weeks or so and the alarm antenna PSB had not been done.

I did the PSB thinking that was the issue and it still did not work.

Thats when I decided to take the head apart and start digging around.

Thanks!

TC

EDIT: I will see if I can get some pics uploaded tonite.

Edited by Thoughtcrime

• 1 month later...

Thoughtcrime,

Thanks very much - checked the head and really poor soldering all through it. Resoldered, cleaned it up, and it works much better, although still quirky. Doesn't lock and unlock all the time; sometime pretty particular about which side of the car I'm standing near; horn sounds when locking sometimes, but sometimes not; seat adjusts when opening sometimes, and sometimes not, etc. Tried Loren's suggestion of using the steel key, but no luck. This key was sitting somewhere for 2+ years, while the previous owner attempted to use the US mail. Remote key I've been using works consistently, although it too is intermittent re the horn and the seat adjustment. In any event, thanks again for the hit.

Yes. That is what made me so mad about it.

I had only had the car for 2 weeks or so and the alarm antenna PSB had not been done.

I did the PSB thinking that was the issue and it still did not work.

Thats when I decided to take the head apart and start digging around.

Thanks!

TC

EDIT: I will see if I can get some pics uploaded tonite.

TC:

Any possibility of getting those pics uploaded here?

I had a look at my circuit board but could not find the spot you might be referring to.

Regards, Maurice.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say the name of which one, but one of the North American Porsche-themed magazines that just came out this month has an article about repairing the remote on a Boxter key (June issue #183, page 125). It is an interesting read. I haven't been able to fix mine yet, but thanks for all of the responses and suggestions to my initial post. I'll let everyone know when I solve my remote problem.

Collin