Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Retro Fitting Multi Function Wheel controls

Just finished fitting the multi function wheel controls to my car. I can confirm that it is possible to retro fit these items even to the earliest of 987 models fitted with the original non MP3 compatable PCM 2.1. The actual part numbers were for the current 987/997 rather than my specific year , everything works without fault , suggesting that matched parts are backwardly compatable. Obviously you need some help from your local OPC to get the respective control units recoded for the additional equipment , but the fitting of parts can be done by a reasonably skilled DIY enthusiast. This was the first occasion for my OPC workshop to code in added items , so they took 1.6 hours labour. The coding needs to be done both on the respective control units (steering wheel , PCM) and then have a "vehicle handover" operation completed to make everything work. I guess this opens the way for other modules such as park distance , cruise , or auto dimming mirrors , though these parts may be more difficult to find at a reasonable cost.

Jeci,

I believe you will need the multi function / tip combination buttons to replace your existing tip only buttons. You should already have the correct control unit installed for the tip controls. Just make sure the MFW controls are the correct match for your age of car and existing control module.

• 3 weeks later...

If you already have the standard wheel (not the smaller sport wheel) then you need the multifunction wheel control unit , a new loom for the airbag/ multi function wheel components, and the two control units that are on either side of the airbag. These four parts and about an hours labour at your OPC and you should be up and running. I assume you already have the OBC stalk for the multi function display. Parts cost about 450 GB pounds or 900 USD I'd expect. If you take a look on the forum PET catalogue just do a search for the items with the part code for the option of the MFW.

Edited by berty987

I guess this opens the way for other modules such as park distance , cruise , or auto dimming mirrors , though these parts may be more difficult to find at a reasonable cost.

The PET actually lists a cruise retrofit kit for the 987/997.

Well lets have the part number then?

I beleive the kit consists of a new lower shroud for the steering column to allow for the extra stalk, plus the stalk module and possibly a connector loom to interface with the steering wheel electronics. As with the other items it will need to be activated with the PWIS unit after the hardware has been installed.

• Admin

Just a word to the wise - there are some "electronic" options on the newer car that Porsche has locked down with access codes.

So anyone with a PIWIS may not be able to just turn on a function. Instead they would need to contact Porsche (showing proof of payment) and then getting the access code to turn the function on.

I know this is true on the Cayenne Compass option.

Thanks for the words of caution Loren. I'm let to believe from a post by member RFM that cruise for 987/997 can be coded with the PIWIS:

Posted by: RFM Apr 16 2007, 08:32 AM

Hi

There are no problems for European 987 and 997 to retrofit cruise control. All you need are: 1 stalk, 1 cover

( under ) steering column, 1 short electric cable ( only for the very first models ) and 2 screws for the fixation

of the stalk.

Programming with PIWIS tester is needed, max. labour time 0 h 30. Piece of cake.

Just a word to the wise - there are some "electronic" options on the newer car that Porsche has locked down with access codes.

So anyone with a PIWIS may not be able to just turn on a function. Instead they would need to contact Porsche (showing proof of payment) and then getting the access code to turn the function on.

I know this is true on the Cayenne Compass option.

This is quite correct. I think they call them "modules" and the one that springs to mind is the extended navigation module that only requires the input of a unique code made up of the VIN number among things. Its not so much an additional item of hardware as it sounds.

Pop

Yes , I think POP is right, its only the extended navigation module that requires a security code to be made active , I think the other items only need to be enabled. The only other time IPASS is needed is when replacing the rear DME I beleive.

• 5 years later...

Hi, I have a 2009 PDK Cayman Gen 2. I have the multi-function steering wheel insert and would like to know what parts are needed to get this to work. I understand I need a module and wiring harness. I spoke to sunset porsche and they weren't sure if the non PDK parts would work on the PDK. Are you able to help. Many Thanks. Here is picture of the multi-function insert.

post-88529-0-81281400-1364675145_thumb.j