Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

High pitch noise in engine bay

It sounds like a screaming vacuum cleaner that some have described here. What I noticed is the sound stays constant even when engine is warmed up and cruising. It usually goes away as the clutch is depressed when coming to a stop. Once it stayed on even when idling. When I popped open the rear hatch, I think the whining noise is coming from the center. Could it be the steering pump or the secondary air pump that's causing it? When are those components located (center, left, right)?

TIA

You got exactly the problem mention in the TSB #4897 of the 1/05. "TT_Loud_Whistling_Noise_From_the_Engine_Area.pdf" If you got access to the TSB you will get all the info about this problem. It is a pressure control valve within the steering reservoir that is vibrating and causing it to make that noise. You need to replace the reservoir to fix it. 996 314 920 34 ($739.50) looks like it is supersede by 997 314 920 31. Hope this help, J.P.

post-29683-1246795317_thumb.jpg

post-29683-1246795334_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I just checked steering fluid level as the owner's manual suggested. I could see only the tip of the measuring rod having some oil. Should traces of oil be evident right below the "Cold" marking, within the rough area of the rod, or below the rough area?

Could the low fluid level be the cause of the noise? I guess I should go look for some Pentosin.

I just checked steering fluid level as the owner's manual suggested. I could see only the tip of the measuring rod having some oil. Should traces of oil be evident right below the "Cold" marking, within the rough area of the rod, or below the rough area?

Could the low fluid level be the cause of the noise? I guess I should go look for some Pentosin.

Of course it is a good start ;)

That's nothing to mess with....the TB should warn of the failures, and since you're losing Pentosin and hearing the screech, you're ofviously losing fluid...it's eXTREMELY flammable and has been the cause of a number of car fires. This is something I would attend to right away.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Chuck is right with his statement about pentosin. But I wonder if the fluid did not migrate to the clutch reservoir. Take a look at the clutch reservoir in front on the driver side and see if it is overfilled now....

• 1 year later...

Im getting an intermittent whining sound, I don't hear it all the time. Only if I am idling and give it gas as the rpms drop from about 2800 to 800rpm does the whining sound come. I may be experiencing this same thing when Im driving but my exhaust is so dawm loud I probably cant hear it.

my car is an '03 996TT with 25,000 miles. Is it possible that I need to change my steering reservoir? If so, it is covered by Porsche? since its a TSB?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Before I get into my post, I want to re-introduce myself to Renntech forums. I spent time on here in 2006/2007 when I had an '02 996, then an '02 C4S, but have been focusing more on my early 911 and 914 over the last several years. I recently purchased an '05 996 Turbo S, and I'm going through the process of acclimating myself to the car and troubleshooting some problems. Thanks in advance for welcoming me back, and for any assistance.

So far, there have been a handful of small things that I have been able to fix with my car, but there's a sound I noticed and don't feel good about....

This is an old thread, but it is the closest thing I can find to describe the sound I'm hearing from my car. Basically, I have noticed a high-pitched sound coming from the car, primarily as I am coasting to a stop. It sounds sort of like a boiling tea kettle, but muffled. And it goes away when I put the clutch in. I have not heard it at idle yet, and I don't notice it when I'm accelerating, but it is consistent each time I come to a stop. 

Does this sound like the issue with the steering reservoir as mentioned above and covered in the TSB? Perhaps more importantly, how can I tell exactly where the sound is coming from if I don't hear it at idle, meaning I can't stand with the engine compartment open and pinpoint it?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Hi guys,

I didn't have any time this morning to do a search, so forgive me in advance if this has been answered, but can someone give me an idea of how complicated it is to install the reservoir and what is involved in doing so? I'm trying to determine whether I should do it myself or schedule it do be done by someone else...and the part should arrive today.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

I had the dealer do mine under warranty years ago.  Here is a DIY if interested:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/142967-diy-ps-pump-reservoir-change.html

Thanks!

I ended up taking mine to the dealer based on my schedule/prioritization of my time. Glad this is done now. No more teakettle sound and no more fears about burning Pentosin (and a burning 996TTS)!

Edited by ntrylvl

• 4 weeks later...

Help,

I'm noticing a similar but different (I think) noise from my engine bay;

It sounds like gear whine.......it's related to engine speed, I thought it might be on the transmission input side.

But it occurs whether in gear or not, so I'm certain it's an engine accessory. 

Can anyone confirm?