Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

P1123, P1128 CEL Codes

First off, I'd like to say that this is an excellent forum, witha ton of information provoded by alot of very intellegent people. That being said, I have searched the forum for my specific problem and just want to make sure what I have gathered is infact correct before I move forward.

My 98 Boxster recently thew the P1123, P1128 codes. After some research, I decided to Rule out the MAF, so I accessed the engine, pulled the MAF, cleaned it as outined on Mike Focke's website, cleared the codes, drove about 50 miles amd the codes reappeared. After further research, It looks like the AOS may be the culprit. I just wanted to know if I'm on the right tract in the diagnosis and possible solution to this problem.

My box has almost 60k on it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Havent driven it since my initial post, but did start it and the oil filler cap was under a bit of suction, I mean I could get it off, but seemed a bit excessive. Ordered a air oil separator, J tube from Pelican parts. After researching, looks pretty straight forward to replace it. Parts should be here Thursday, so Friday, I'll know for sure.

Thanks again

Jim

Just for due diligence, after replacing, look for any oil leaking around where the transmission meets up with the block (after each drive). If that appears, you will want to investigate RMS replacement (most probable).

Edited by por986

Havent driven it since my initial post, but did start it and the oil filler cap was under a bit of suction, I mean I could get it off, but seemed a bit excessive. Ordered a air oil separator, J tube from Pelican parts. After researching, looks pretty straight forward to replace it. Parts should be here Thursday, so Friday, I'll know for sure.

Thanks again

Jim

Jim:

If you are using an OEM clamp on the lower part of the bellows, make sure that you have a pair of hose clamp pliers handy or the little blue plastic tool that comes with part number 99951263000 (spring hose clamp with tool).

Without one of those tools, it's VERY difficult to get that clamp seated properly over the bottom of the bellows.

Check out this thread if you haven't already seen it: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/17331-aos-replacement-tips/page__pid__187451#entry187451

Regards, Maurice.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again

Jim

Jim:

If you are using an OEM clamp on the lower part of the bellows, make sure that you have a pair of hose clamp pliers handy or the little blue plastic tool that comes with part number 99951263000 (spring hose clamp with tool).

Without one of those tools, it's VERY difficult to get that clamp seated properly over the bottom of the bellows.

Check out this thread if you haven't already seen it: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/17331-aos-replacement-tips/page__pid__187451#entry187451

Regards, Maurice.

Ok folks, the AOS was a PITA to do. I guess if your left handed, and have a left arm longer than your right, and smaller in diameter than a pop can you'd be ok, but its done none the less. Sorry I couldn't get the oxygen sensor info you requested. Anyway, I test drove it yesterday, all seemed to be ok. Went to work, less than 10 miles and CEL comes on, P1128 and P1130. There doesnt seem to be any leak that I can detect, and upon initial start up to come home, it was not running good at all. Then it smoothed out and all seems ok. I'm stumped. Anyone with any suggestions, your help would be greatly appreciated. I really dont want to take this thing in to a shop if I dont have to.

Thanks in advance

Jim

With the exception of my RMS leaking (noticeably) after fixing the AOS, my situation is the same. I am still getting the same codes as you, and I am replacing the MAF with the newer one. It should be here tomorrow, so we will see if that rids it.

My RMS isn't leaking, so if the MAF solves your problem, please let me know.

Also Maurice,

I changed the lower bellows clamp to a regular hose clamp. I don't see how I could have got the OE one on with the special pliers. Iw was like doing mechanics by brail to get that thing installed..

Thanks again to everyone for their help, and patience.

Jim

My RMS isn't leaking, so if the MAF solves your problem, please let me know.

Also Maurice,

I changed the lower bellows clamp to a regular hose clamp. I don't see how I could have got the OE one on with the special pliers. Iw was like doing mechanics by brail to get that thing installed..

Thanks again to everyone for their help, and patience.

Jim

Jim:

A lot of people use a regular hose clamps and it does the job.

It is definitely tricky to get that OEM clamp onto the lower end of the bellows. The key is to get the car up high enough and to approach it from the proper angle. The last one I did with Boxtaboy on his 2001 Boxster required removal of a plastic connector that also got in the way.

Regards, Maurice.

With a 1128 and 1130 code do you have any issues with your Secondary Air Pump?

Interesting, I have never seen the two related in researching. I recently commented on the following thread, so you have me intrigued. Are these related?

http://www.renntech....ine-with-video/

I have the same two codes and my Secondary Air Pump is not operating. I checked the 40 AMP fuse in rear trunk and the fuse was blown. I won't get a chance to explore further until this weekend.

I ordered a MAF and it will be here Monday. As far as the secondary air pump goes, there doesn't seem to be any issues with it. Looks like it might have solved the problem for por986, so we will see. After I install the new MAF, do I need to disconnect the battery to discharge the DME so it will relearn the parameters upon start up again?

Again, thanks to all

Jim

I ordered a MAF and it will be here Monday. As far as the secondary air pump goes, there doesn't seem to be any issues with it. Looks like it might have solved the problem for por986, so we will see. After I install the new MAF, do I need to disconnect the battery to discharge the DME so it will relearn the parameters upon start up again?

Again, thanks to all

Jim

Yes, disconnect the negative connection of the battery, install the MAF and then re-connect battery. The DME will reset/relearn with the new MAF.

MAF in, DME discharged, so today will tell the tale. Thanks again to all who had input and direction. If this takes care of it, you all saved me a wad of cash! I'll let you know the status.

Thanks again

Jim

And by the way, I managed to crack my rear window during this process. Anyone have experience with the glass window tops?

And by the way, I managed to crack my rear window during this process. Anyone have experience with the glass window tops?

By far the best way to go is to retrofit a used OEM 2003 or 2004 top onto your Boxster.

Here is an evalutation of the pluses and minuses, as well as a step-by-step guide: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for info on the top. But with less than 40 miles, she threw P0410 and P1411. All the reading I've read, well some of it anyway, points to the MAF? Just replaced it. Hate to take this in, but I need the 60K service anyway.Anyone know a reputible Porsche place in SW Washington or Portland?

Jim

Ok, so it wasnt the MAF, as I was setting at a light, heard the air pump, and bingo, same codes (P0410, P1411). As of now, its garaged, not going to drive it until I figure this out. Through my research and reading in this and other forums, it looks like the problem may be the air change over valve???? Im about to just take it in, although I really dont want to. Any last minute ideas before the stealership gets their hands on it?

Thanks

Jim

I was just preparing a DIY regarding some codes including P0410 and P0411. I had a blown 40 amp fuse for the Secondary Air Pump. I removed the change over valve and upon examination replaced it. The CEL light is now gone.

Do you have any other symptoms or codes?

Edited by kbrandsma