Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fully Switched PSE

• Admin

(Sorry, I can't remember who I worked with this on but he took some great pics).

Here is the procedure:

To remove the factory cut-out but allow the switch to work (PSE-On or PSE-Off):

1) Remove the fuse panel cover and the carpet cover itself by removing four screws. Release the relay carrier above the fuse panel by releasing a clip on the left and a 10mm nut on the right.

2) Pull it down so you can rotate it around to see the back. This pic shows position 23.

j1a.jpg

3) From the back of the relay carrier, remove the relay receptacle from position #23 (the "23" is printed in raised letters on the front side of the relay carrier) by pressing in on two little fingers that hold the receptacle into the carrier.

j2a.jpg

Now look for the four-position jumper. There are two gray connectors there. One has two two-position jumpers and the other has one four-position jumper. You want to pull that one out of it's black plastic holder, and then remove the four-position metal jumper.

j3a.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
Hey, why not just unplug the thing at the connection in the engine compartment like my Porsche technician told me to do?  Whamo, no more cutout...sport exhaust on all the time.

This mod allows you to turn the PSE on and off at will with the switch on the dash... for those that want that.

I never installed the switch (or vacuum lines, etc.) on mine so it is open all the time. :D :D :D

• 6 months later...

How do I remove the relay bracket from the carrier!?!?

Per instructions...

"Remove the fuse panel cover and the carpet cover itself by removing four screws. Release the relay carrier above the fuse panel by releasing a clip on the left and a 10mm nut on the right."

I did this, but maybe I don't know what "releasing the clip" means. I've moved it to the right which seems to release it. However, it just won't seem to let go. All I can do is move the side with the nut around about an inch. The left side is just not coming loose at all.

Could it be that my harness is holding it in. Do I need to cut the large white wire-tie that holds it down?

TIA,

gk

• 1 month later...

I finally got the relay bracket to come out. The left side was really tight. If I wasn't completely sure it was to come loose, I never would have pulled hard enough to get it loose.

Once I got it loose and pulled the jumper off, I got the aforementioned issue of losing control of my top (2003 cab). So, I had to determine which single wire was used for the exhaust.

Attached is a picture of my relay and some test wires that I used to temporarily extend the concept of the jumper. Initially, I tied all of them together and then went for various test runs with one of the wires removed until I identified which pin was for the exhaust (the one in the lower left corner).

I removed my temporary wires, broke off the corresponding leg on the jumper, and put everything back together. All was good.

gk

post-21-1088655203_thumb.jpg

• Admin
Is the Boxster '03 2.7 setup the same as the 996 regarding the PSE switching hack? In other words does the same relay issue (#23) and the grey/pink speedo A wire apply?

Thanks. (This question has been asked before I am sure.)

According to the TSB - it looks the same. Grey/Pink wire is still speedometer A signal and they add a same relay.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Loren,

yesterday my dealer installed the PSE on my car - and I recognized the problems listed in this task. In Germany the PSE is turned off between 50 and 70 km/h. The feeling while auto turn off was not very fine.

With your description it seems very easy to disable the speedometer signal. But before I start to modify the car, please let me know if the doing is the same for all models.

My car, 996 C2, was build 10.2002 but it is model 2001 with 3,4l and 300 HP.

Can I disable the speedometer signal for my car in the way of your description ?

Thanks

Frank

• Admin
Hi Loren,

yesterday my dealer installed the PSE on my car - and I recognized the problems listed in this task. In Germany the PSE is turned off between 50 and 70 km/h. The feeling while auto turn off was not very fine.

With your description it seems very easy to disable the speedometer signal. But before I start to modify the car, please let me know if the doing is the same for all models.

My car, 996 C2, was build 10.2002 but it is model 2001 with 3,4l and 300 HP.

Can I disable the speedometer signal for my car in the way of your description ?

Thanks

Frank

Yes, it's the same for all model years. Only the relay has changed over the years.

gregking or loren or anyone else who knows:

Apart from the colors of the wires, is the plug itself labelled so that if I break off the lower left-hand leg of the jumper I can be sure that I do not have the plug upside down so that I am actually breaking off the upper right-hand leg?

Thanks again

Hi folks,

after cutting the speedometer signal at Saturday I'am happy with the PSE. Before it was real horrible.

@Steve: The price was round about 2600 Euro. Please check your EMail.

:oops: But while working on the car, I found another type of relais, like described by Loren. For more information I will post same pics about it.

1. Relais-carrier

the relais-carrier could be placed in every free space on the board. So it depends on the dealer in which position it is placed:

post-21-1091430940_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neo601

3. Relais and micro switch

After checking the relais I decided to insert a switch between cable and jumper 1 on the relais. This is working great. So I'am able to switch between facturing mode and disabled speedometer signal mode.

This is importend for Germany, because we have a 2 year offical car check, called TÜV. If TÜV find non signed modified work on the car they will not allow you to drive any longer with this car.

Frank

post-21-1091431503_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...