Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OK The sunroof is rattling so bad I cann't take it anymore. Is there a fix or some screws I can tighten down. Every bump I go over makes the hole roof bang and rattle

This makes me want to sell the car. Then I turn up the radio and I again love the car :soapbox:

Please help me stay sane :wacko:

Edited by evansaero

• 2 weeks later...

The TBS in the end did not help the problem I had.

So I tried putting felt pads on a couple of soft foam pads. Its in the area between the fabric and the sunroof.

I had to tilt up the sunroof to do the back side and open the sunroof half way to do the front part.

It worked like a charm. The car is now quite. Thank God.

Also I tighten down the speakers, It seems that the screws were a little loose

Edited by evansaero

can you take a pic of where you placed the pads? I'm having a similar problem and would love to eliminate it. TIA.

Sure I'll do that now

OK Done deal. I hope this helps.

I think the pictures explain themselves. I would have use black felt but Lowes didn't have any. On the last picture you have the wind breaker tabs. There is one on the front and rear. I put felt down next to the old felt. It seems that the old ones are worn out and I think some banging noise was coming from there when going over bumps.

Best part is it's not the cleanest job but no one knows that but me. Well now everybody :lol: :lol:

post-12417-1172247564.jpg

post-12417-1172247590.jpg

post-12417-1172247604.jpg

post-12417-1172247609.jpg

post-12417-1172247617.jpg

post-12417-1172247626.jpg

post-12417-1172247635.jpg

post-12417-1172247641.jpg

Edited by evansaero

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with the sunroof. If I apply pressure to the sunroof from the bottom while driving, I don't hear the banging sounds when I go over bumps. I tried felt pads in the locations shown in the pics, but it didn't help. Anyone else solve this problem in a similar way?

Just a question--is this when it is open or shut? I had a really bad rattle when open only. Turned out to be some bar across the headliner just behind the sunroof. A quick and not to expensive fix at the dealer. All's quiet now!

Just a question--is this when it is open or shut? I had a really bad rattle when open only. Turned out to be some bar across the headliner just behind the sunroof. A quick and not to expensive fix at the dealer. All's quiet now!

Mine makes a banging noise over bumps when closed. When tipped up, it seems fine. I'd have to experiment with it open before I can say.

Mine makes a banging noise over bumps when closed. When tipped up, it seems fine. I'd have to experiment with it open before I can say.

This sounds similar to what i had. Mine turned out to be the 'deflector' that sits on the inside of the roof panel and 'chatters' when you go over bumps with the roof down. I put foam pads on where it runs. You should see a bit of a thin black line where the rubber has marked the inside of your roof. Put them along there and try it.

Mine turned out to be the 'deflector' that sits on the inside of the roof panel and 'chatters' when you go over bumps with the roof down. I put foam pads on where it runs. You should see a bit of a thin black line where the rubber has marked the inside of your roof. Put them along there and try it.

Would you mind taking a pic?

Ok, I tried felt in the same places as the pics above and it didn't work for me. I also tried it in the place I think fastboydave is referring to (but I'm not 100% sure I get what he's saying). I put a single piece of felt in a place that doesn't seem like it would do the trick and it seems to have solved my problem very well. Honestly, I don't understand why this works, but it does.

Click the images to get enlargements...

IMG_5524-small.jpg

IMG_5528-small.jpg

Edited by ELMEL

One last idea from me--it's an easy thing to check. When driving, put your hand just behind the sunroof on the support bar that goes across the headliner. I think there is a seam in the fabric, but if not it's just a couple of inches behind the roof. If the rattle goes away with just a very light pressure on this bar then it probably came unclipped on one side. Dealer can fix this really quick. That fixed my rattle. (I know this is not the sunroof, but it might sound like the sunroof when driving. I know I thought it was the sunroof before the dealer checked)

One last idea from me--it's an easy thing to check. When driving, put your hand just behind the sunroof on the support bar that goes across the headliner. I think there is a seam in the fabric, but if not it's just a couple of inches behind the roof. If the rattle goes away with just a very light pressure on this bar then it probably came unclipped on one side. Dealer can fix this really quick. That fixed my rattle. (I know this is not the sunroof, but it might sound like the sunroof when driving. I know I thought it was the sunroof before the dealer checked)

I think I'm having that problem as well. I'll check with the dealer. Thanks!

I swear the dealer just quoted me $200 to fix this. That seems a little steep. It's just the support bar correct?

I swear the dealer just quoted me $200 to fix this. That seems a little steep. It's just the support bar correct?

Mine was in the range of $120 to $150, but the quote was actually higher since they were not exactly sure how long it would take. Can't remember for sure. It did not take them as long as they thought. They have to partially remove the headliner which is where the time comes in (and also why I did not dare try it myself). Actually I would have paid more--it just bugged me so much. PS: I think hourly at dealers is up to $115 or so . . .

Mine was in the range of $120 to $150, but the quote was actually higher since they were not exactly sure how long it would take. Can't remember for sure. It did not take them as long as they thought. They have to partially remove the headliner which is where the time comes in (and also why I did not dare try it myself). Actually I would have paid more--it just bugged me so much. PS: I think hourly at dealers is up to $115 or so . . .

**** $115 you are lucky, Local Porsche dealer is around $180! VW is $145!

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like the rattle I had some years back. If I pressed my finger up against the back rear edge of the sunroof, the noise would go away. I spayed some silicone or WD40 (can't remember which) on a towel and ran it along the back edge of the sunroof frame (back rubber part). The noise went away and never came back. You might need to do a couple of passes at it. Good luck.

• 5 months later...

fyi, we had a similar rattle that was driving us insane coming from the support bar behind our sunroof. I found that I could actually fit my hand/arm in between the roof and the headliner after popping the rear of the sunroof up. I kneeled in the driver seat backwards and slowly worked my petite hand/arm into the gap. My husband then supported the bar from inside the car and we were able to snap the bar back into the clip that it had come loose from. This is a two person job as it takes a lot of force to snap the bar back into the clip. You have to have someone supporting the headliner and applying pressure so that you don't ruin your headliner. Saved us the dealer fee to do the repair and it hasn't come un-clipped again (knock on wood!).

Mary