Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changed oil -- now level indicator is below normal

I have an 07 Boxster S with 7500 miles on it. I changed the oil/filter and refilled with 7.75L of oil as the manual said. After waiting about 15 mins, I checked the oil level and the indicator only lit up the first bar above the bottom arrow. I then added the remaining 0.25L, waited another 15 mins and the indicator then show two segments lit, but not up to the top arrow. I really don't feel like buying another liter of oil only to use another 0.25L to reach the top arrow. Since then, the indicator still shows the same level -- have 7900 miles now.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks.

Regards,

paul....

The Manual is correct at 7.75 quarts. Each bar is about 8 ounces of oil. This is for the 987 Boxster.

Just check the oil level each morning, and add to the bar just one below full. It takes a long time for the oil to register...more than 15 minutes.

You really want the oil as full as possible, without overfilling, since greater than 50% of the engine cooling comes from the oil.

The level changes depending on whether the car is warm or cold. If you check the oil in the morning before the car has been run, the oil tends to read lower than when its checked after re fuelling. Seems odd , and i recollect there is a TSB about recalibrating the oil level indicator , so maybe there is an issue. Providing the oil level always reads above half way and never above full , I wouldn't worry too much about the graduations between. I also noticed when the oil is full , you are more likely to experience smoke on start up.

Thanks for the replies everyone -- I going to check the level after I've driven the car (hot oil) for curiosity. As Loren pointed out, the service manual says the same as the owner's manual - 7.75 L. I'm running Motul 8100 Xcess and it cost me about $9/L so I'm not going to open another L just to add a little oil and have a good L of oil hanging around for half a year.

Before anyone asks the question, here's the answer: I've elected to use Motul 8100 because some other people (non-Porsche) have used it with good results -- I hope I get good results also. Although different engines treat the same oil differently, I still wanted to give it a try.

I'm sure most of you guys share my dislike of electronic indicators for oil levels, and miss the good ol' days of dipsticks!!

Regards,

paul...

Come on, Paul, why are you concerned about a $9 quart of oil for a +$65,000 Porsche!! :)

I know where you are coming from, I run 5W40 Red Line.

The only way to get an accurate read on the oil level is in the morning, on level ground, just before start-up. If you check when the oil is hot, it will almost always say full.

Open up that last bottle....it's not Screaming Eagle!!!

Come on, Paul, why are you concerned about a $9 quart of oil for a +$65,000 Porsche!! :)

I know where you are coming from, I run 5W40 Red Line.

The only way to get an accurate read on the oil level is in the morning, on level ground, just before start-up. If you check when the oil is hot, it will almost always say full.

Open up that last bottle....it's not Screaming Eagle!!!

I know, I know..... I just didn't want to buy any more oil for a while (I bought 24L for 3 oil changes) and I would have to go and buy 3 more L to keep my inventory up to date. I'm basically a cheap S.O.B!!!

I agree, I always check my oil every morning inside my garage (level ground). Obviously, this oil level thing is bothering me and I have to figure out what to do about it. I just may crack open another L of oil. Since I will be doing 7500 OCI's (every 6 months), the remainder of the oil should be OK for next time providing I keep the cap on tight and keep storing the oil in my dry basement and not in the garage.

Regards,

paul....

OK, I've been harassed enough (in a good way, though). I've added more oil to get to the third bar. I added twice in 100mL amounts, so 200mL got me there. I'll watch it for a few days. Since this is my first Porsche, I'll probably be asking more anal questions until I learn the car. Looks like the prize goes to Loren for recommending 8.5L.

If I lived closer, I would have attended Loren's weekend get together and gained some knowledge.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in to help.

Regards,

paul....