Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT2 suspension and 996TT suspension

TXGold

Please post photographs or a pictogram of the stock GT2 and 996 Turbo suspension. I am hoping to find the differences in how the two mount to there respective uprights.

The purpose is to show me the hardware neccesary to have a set of OEM GT2 coil-overs fit onto my 996Turbo. I've been in touch with Moton, who makes a sleeve for the front upright, but don't have a way of finding out what else is needed.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Ryan

You will need special drop links if you are using GT2/GT3 swaybars.

You can get them from Carnewal.com

For the time being I'll be using the stock 996TT swaybar and drop links. I'm just hoping to utilize this set of GT2 C/O's on my Turbo. Thanks for the quick reply Loren. Your expertise is appreciated!!

• 2 weeks later...
I am confused as to what you are asking. The GT2 uses coil overs so they should have all the hardware you need.

i need spring perches and locking rings from the stock GT2 suspension, because the PO of my C/O's used them with his zmoton replacement.

Also, actual pictures of the GT2 suspension would be extremely helpful

Wow! Loren, you are unbelievable. Thank you.

Now, I don't mean to be rude, but I still have a question. I guess I just need to get a friend with a Gt2 and look at there car.. I have a this suspension that was sent to me and there is a gold cap type piece and a blue piece that looks like some sort of perch. Both are anodized aluminum. Any idea where they go?

Wonder where I should get looking rings for cheap?

Thanks again!!!

TXGold

• Admin
Wow! Loren, you are unbelievable. Thank you.

Now, I don't mean to be rude, but I still have a question. I guess I just need to get a friend with a Gt2 and look at there car.. I have a this suspension that was sent to me and there is a gold cap type piece and a blue piece that looks like some sort of perch. Both are anodized aluminum. Any idea where they go?

Wonder where I should get looking rings for cheap?

Thanks again!!!

TXGold

Take some pics and post them - please.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today, I finished putting GT2 OEM suspension onto my 996TT, with the following changes needed:

The front C/O's needed two sleeves for the struts to fit into the 996TT wheel hub(no pinch bolt tab on the GT2 suspension). They were secured with a locking ring on top. I received these from Moton Suspension. Lex Carson was a big help with this.

Sway bar drop links all needed changing. I went with Agency Power. The front drop links relocate the upper mounting point from the strut area to the pinch bolt on the 996TT wheel hub.

If spring perches and locking rings are needed, purchase them from Bilstein. After trial and error we figured out the ones I needed (black ones). Hopefully the person selling the GT2 suspension to you includes them.

Those are the only things needed(provided spring caps and hats were included). The 996TT upper mounts, front and rear, were used. There wasn't anything needed differently, and in fact, several pieces that were used with the 996TT OEM suspension were discarded. The upper mounts and the lenticular washers were all reused with the GT2 C/O's.

Being that I am rear wheel drive, I can't confirm if this will work with an AWD setup, but why would you want AWD anyways :P.

Now, I'm headed for an alignment and a good corner balance. See ya!!

Thanks,

Ryan

Edited by TXGold

• 2 months later...
Today, I finished putting GT2 OEM suspension onto my 996TT, with the following changes needed:

The front C/O's needed two sleeves for the struts to fit into the 996TT wheel hub(no pinch bolt tab on the GT2 suspension). They were secured with a locking ring on top. I received these from Moton Suspension. Lex Carson was a big help with this.

Sway bar drop links all needed changing. I went with Agency Power. The front drop links relocate the upper mounting point from the strut area to the pinch bolt on the 996TT wheel hub.

If spring perches and locking rings are needed, purchase them from Bilstein. After trial and error we figured out the ones I needed (black ones). Hopefully the person selling the GT2 suspension to you includes them.

Those are the only things needed(provided spring caps and hats were included). The 996TT upper mounts, front and rear, were used. There wasn't anything needed differently, and in fact, several pieces that were used with the 996TT OEM suspension were discarded. The upper mounts and the lenticular washers were all reused with the GT2 C/O's.

Being that I am rear wheel drive, I can't confirm if this will work with an AWD setup, but why would you want AWD anyways :P.

Now, I'm headed for an alignment and a good corner balance. See ya!!

Thanks,

Ryan

Can anyone tell me how much or where to buy the front spring caps? I'm attempting my GT2 to 996tt swap soon and think I'm missing those off of the GT2 on the front. All I have on the front is the shock, springs, and collars on the bottom. I know I can swap some pieces over from the 996tt strut tops to the GT2 tops but I think I'm missing some special GT2 pieces like number 4-5-6-7 in the diagram above. Any help would be great.

Edited by Soundeffects

• 2 weeks later...
TXGold;

how does the car feel with the GT2 suspension? could you give us some feedback? I might be interested in doing the same on my TT

The car feels 1000x better. I had old stock struts and Ruf lowering springs on the car. After a corner balance and alignment, and a touch up on the CB&A the car was rock solid.

Be careful after the switch as the car handles much differently. I almost lost the car doing 70 or so on one of my favorite stretches, because the car is much more stiff and the wishywashy feeling that allowed a lot more play and loose handling, is nonexistent.

I don't have prices on top hats, but I suggest calling Bilstein to purchase all hats, perches and rings. Moton provided the sleeves needed at a reasonable price, but I found all of their other parts, understandably, to be a little too much $.

NOTE: The top mounts from the 996TT work, but I have to be honest, the fronts make me a little nervous. The nut that secures the strut bolt thru the top mount assembly(look at Loren's post #7, the GT2 front pictograph, piece #2) only has one thread showing above the nut. It is secure, but one would be much better off purchasing some Mode pillow mounts or whatever they are called, for the fronts. The rears ride up in the stock top mounts just fine. The rear stock pieces were reused, but some of the rubber was removed and the springs hats are metal to metal(except maybe a thin rubber lining covering part of the area needed).

I hope this helps. Sorry I haven't kept up with this thread much. I spent a lot of time pestering Dan at Vividracing.com, Oak, Tommy Banh, Loren, and several others I regretably have forgotten about, to try and figure out how to make this swap work. There wasn't much information, and I had to use my limited amateur knowledge and these forums to make the swap. Please be careful and take this information for what it is, novice advice.

Thanks,

TXGold

Edited by TXGold